NS SD70 Series Units All Stored In Roanoke, VA

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Jon Tish
Railroadfan...fan

NS SD70 Series Units All Stored In Roanoke, VA

Unread post by Jon Tish »

So I am new to this website, I wanted to start off with something I've been thinking about for the longest time. Why are all of Norfolk Southern's SD70's, SD70M's, and SD70M-2's stored in Roanoke Yard? I remember seeing these all the time, but around 2018, they started disappearing out of nowhere. If anyone knows why or how long these locomotives are going to be stored, that would be great.
15 Year Old Railfan From Groveport, OH
Favorite Train Horns: 1st Gen Nathan K5LLA, New Cast Nathan P5,
Old Cast Nathan P3, Leslie RS-3K, Narrow Font Nathan K5LA

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: NS SD70 Series Units All Stored In Roanoke, VA

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The SD70s are/were being rebuilt in SD70ACCs. The former Conrail SD70s are now for sale according to NS. The SD70Ms and most of the SD70M-2s are in storage, along with many Dash 9s, because they are not currently needed. There was also talk of rebuilding the SD70Ms into SD70ACCs as well, but I haven't heard any more about that.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

NS engines listed for sale.

EMD SD70M units 2581-2594, 2596-2648, 2797-2799; and SD70M-2 units 2649-2778

EMD SD75M's 2800-2806 and GE/NS Dash 8.5-40CW rebuilds 8500-8513

The 80 remaining C40-8Ws are also being sold to Progress Rail.

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

SO what happened to their business where all these locomotives are now no longer needed? Are new ones coming on line? Or did their customer base shrink? Or they doing that very long train thing where there will be less trains to cover the same customer base? That is a lot over units to just dump unless something fundamental is in progress. Also read they have layed off a bunch of folks at Altoona

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NS had more variety on its motive power roster compared to any other Class 1. You can blame it on PSR, but that translates into a lot of extra parts inventory. NS's operating philosophy in the past has also lent itself more to shorter, more frequent trains compared to likes of CSX, UP etc. NS has changed the operating plan and is running less-frequent, longer trains. This has greatly reduced the need for locomotives. The oldest, oddball, most worn out and least reliable units have been or are being culled from the roster.

When all is said and done, the NS will basically be down to the following:
EMD SD70ACC
EMD SD70ACe
EMD SD70ACU
EMD SD60E
EMD SD40E
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP60
EMD GP59E
EMD GP40-2
EMD GP38-2
(maybe a handful of EMD MP15s?)
(they also have some rebuilt Geeps and road slugs that I'm not as familiar with)
GE ET44AC
GE ES44AC
GE ES44DC
GE C44-9W
GE AC44C6M

This greatly simplifies their roster from the likes of oddballs like the SD80MACs, standard cab SD70s, the worn out SD70Ms, and the notoriously loud and uncomfortable SD70M-2s. The oldest units like the SD60s, C40-8Ws and most of the second hand SD40-2s they bought in the last decade are being disposed of as well. I believe the plan is to convert all or most of their 1,000+ unit fleet of Dash 9s into AC44C6Ms as well. While I like motive power variety as much as anyone else, a more streamlined fleet makes sense both in having to stock a smaller variety of parts and somewhat simplifies mechanical training and familiarization as well.

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

So the four sd70m-2's that went to NYS&W fall into the "notoriously loud and uncomfortable" class? Wonder if they got a smok'in deal! I've see one of the four, not the leader either, a sd40-2 was.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Correct, those units are junk. NYSW probably got them for a song. I will bet that most of the others will be scrapped.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Convert them into cheap "B" units.
How many remember(aka old enough :( ) those contraptions some railroads made out of their "A" units to wrench every last penny out of the asset :?:

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Making them B units does not solve the issue of poor fuel efficiency (compared to modern T4 or rebuilt power) and low flexibility. There is a reason B units went out of style decades ago (for new production at least). Even 1% savings per unit can result in savings of millions over the course of the year.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of crew suffering. If they were converted to a B units, the crew can't/shouldn't occupy them. Since they've apparently been purchased, fuel efficiency of those units doesn't matter to NYS&W.

Not going to happen of course. But I'm still amused by some railroads taking junk A units and making junk B units out of them the now many years ago.

Contraptions like this were so cute http://www.railpictures.ca/upload/this- ... the-remain

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Ypsi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:50 am
Making them B units does not solve the issue of poor fuel efficiency (compared to modern T4 or rebuilt power) and low flexibility. There is a reason B units went out of style decades ago (for new production at least). Even 1% savings per unit can result in savings of millions over the course of the year.
Your rebuilds are less efficient than one of those ACe's on fuel...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side