Dakota Southern Railway

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Alex Huff
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Dakota Southern Railway

Unread post by Alex Huff »

Speak of the devil and up he jumps. Current update on Dakota Southern Railway operation. A 110 car shuttle grain elevator is currently in service east of Kimball, SD. As is standard, BNSF delivers unit trains of BNSF equipment to the shortline at Mitchell, SD. DSRC crews operate the train with BNSF power, which sometimes includes foreign line power, to the elevator and return. Shuttle trains use distributed power. DSRC normally rearranges power at the shuttle elevator loop as needed so that the receiving BNSF crew at Mitchell will depart with two units on the head end.

Heavy rail has replaced the 65# on the line from Mitchell to Chamberlain. Rail is a mix of #2 relay 115# to 132#. Trestles have had or are having a fourth stringer added beneath each rail to support heavier grain hoppers.

A second shuttle elevator is under construction at Kennebec, SD and expects to ship grain in September, 2016. Bridge work and track upgrades are in progress from the east end of the Chamberlain yard to one mile west of Presho, about 42 miles. Rail is #1 relay ranging from 115# to 132#. The longest bridge on the MILW, the Chamberlain bridge is having all wood replaced including the four inspection walkways beneath the bridge. Slightly less than a mile long, the bridge was placed in service on Dec. 7, 1953.

Active "old" DSRC power consists of recently reactivated ex-MILW SD7m 512 and repainted ex-SP SD9m 4427. Paint scheme is a variant of the red, white and black previously used. Two other units, a GP40 and a GP7 round out the fleet. Most of the "museum" fleet has been scrapped. Remaining M-of-W cars consist of one ex-ATSF 70T ballast hopper with MK gates, one ex-ATSF 30 yard side dump ballast car and one ex-MP 60' flatcar. No locomotives have been scrapped.

Chamberlain deadline consists of two ex-Sisseton Southern GE 70-tonners with cracked cylinder liners plus a GE 70T for parts which came without a prime mover. Ex-Keota & Washington Alco S3 #103 has a bad main generator. Ex-Long Island Alco C420 #213 needs a replacement traction motor which is on hand. Ex-MILW SD9m 506 needs new wheels and paint. Ex-MILW SD7m 522 also needs wheels replaced or turned. Incomplete carcasses when purchased, UP DDA40x #6925 and Soo Line GP30 #719 have been boned for parts.

Alex Huff, DSRC retired

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update, Alex. Do you still have the cardboard plant as a customer?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Great update! Thanks for checking in.
Owosso Steve

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Always nice to see a shortline get some love. Hope they fix that ole C420. I read somewhere it was for sale (really wish I had the link to what I read) but, the asking price was on the high side.

trailhub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trailhub »

I realize this thread is several years old, but I wanted to correct some links in a post above, regarding the Mickelson Rail-Trail which runs across 100+ miles of South Dakota. The links above are old and invalid. You can find more current Mickelson Trail info at www.BikeMickelson.com

Alex Huff
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alex Huff »

On Feb. 17, 2021, the advisory state rail board voted 4-0 with two abstentions due to conflict of interest in favor of selling the line to the Ringneck & Western Railroad, L.L.C. The price is $13 million. It is to be paid $5 million at time of closing and five annual payments of $1.6 million at the anniversary of the closing date.

The railroad is a subsidiary of Watco which owns in excess of forty railroads and/or switching operations.

The ampersand in the corporate name is correct. L.L.C. stands for limited liabiiity company. The company was incorporated in Delaware on Oct. 20, 2020.

No formal closing date was discussed. There are a few loose ends which need to be sorted out between the SDDOT and the buyer. It is expected operations will begin in May. Dakota Southern still holds a lease on the Napa-Platte line where it began operations in October, 1985. The eastern 20 miles has been used solely for car storage since operations ceased in 1991.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Alex Huff wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 pm
On Feb. 17, 2021, the advisory state rail board voted 4-0 with two abstentions due to conflict of interest in favor of selling the line to the Ringneck & Western Railroad, L.L.C. The price is $13 million. It is to be paid $5 million at time of closing and five annual payments of $1.6 million at the anniversary of the closing date.

The railroad is a subsidiary of Watco which owns in excess of forty railroads and/or switching operations.

The ampersand in the corporate name is correct. L.L.C. stands for limited liabiiity company. The company was incorporated in Delaware on Oct. 20, 2020.

No formal closing date was discussed. There are a few loose ends which need to be sorted out between the SDDOT and the buyer. It is expected operations will begin in May. Dakota Southern still holds a lease on the Napa-Platte line where it began operations in October, 1985. The eastern 20 miles has been used solely for car storage since operations ceased in 1991.
Thanks for the update. Is business going well?

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Yes, I am wondering as well. Have there been many grain trains this year running from Kennebec (or points west) as had been hoped?
Owosso Steve