NS Locomotive Update 1/14/10 (NSDash9.com)

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

NS Locomotive Update 1/14/10 (NSDash9.com)

Unread post by ns8401 »

NS GE Dash 9-40CW's 9522, 9632 and 9874 were severely damaged by fire late on the night of 1/12. NS train 75J approached a trestle near Jackson, AL, and found the trestle on fire. The train came to an emergency stop with the units on the burning trestle. The locos each had over 3,000 gallons of fuel onboard and were allowed to burn themselves out, as fire crews were unable to reach the remote location, except on ATV's. The two crewman were severely burned and airlifted to a hospital.

All three of the PR43C locomotives, NS 4000-4001 and PRLX 4300, are currently in Roanoke for adhesion testing.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Locomotive Update 1/14/10 (NSDash9.com)

Unread post by ns8401 »

One of the crew members passed away tonight... :cry: :cry: Article is a UTU release....

UTU member Aaron Milhouse, 46, died Jan. 14 from injuries suffered as a result of a Norfolk Southern train fire Jan. 12.
Milhouse was one of two Norfolk Southern train-crew members who suffered burn injuries in the fire and were taken by helicopter to area hospitals, said Clark County EMA Director Roy Waite.

UTU State Legislative Director Ronnie Clements said Mickey Stepp, 47, remains hospitalized at the University of Southern Alabama Hospital in Mobile.

The men were burned when their train encountered a burning trestle in Clarke County, then ground to a stop directly over the fire, local authorities reported.

According to railroad spokesman Robin Chapman, as reported by the Mobile Press-Register, the southbound freight train led by three locomotives braked about 9:30 p.m., when the crewmen saw the trestle on fire. The diesel fuel ignited as the men jumped into the water below.

Chapman said the men contacted their trainmaster, then waited about an hour for help to reach them in the remote stretch of track.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Yeah...don't know if I would've dumped it if I were them; fearing exactly what happened. I would've breaked heavily to see if we could stop before, but then realizing we could let off and given it hell. Once you've dumped it, you can't change your mind. It's a shame though. My prayers are with the families and the surviving crew member.

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

That's such a sad story to read.

Doug

gvtfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gvtfan »

My condolences also. I'm sure the men did all they could.

At least there's three less Dash-9s roaming around though!

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

How did the trestle catch on fire?
Mark it Zero.