YouTube Video Thumbnails

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

YouTube Video Thumbnails

Unread post by David Collins »

It's been awhile since I've been on this site, I've started making custom thumbnails for my YouTube videos, and I've just made 3 for my newest videos coming out, I would like to see what you guys think of these...
Attachments
Railfanning Fort Madison Iowa
Railfanning Fort Madison Iowa
Railfanning Ogilive Transportation Center
Railfanning Ogilive Transportation Center
Railfanning around Chicgao Union Station
Railfanning around Chicgao Union Station

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: YouTube Video Thumbnails

Unread post by KVERBERK »

those look cool
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: YouTube Video Thumbnails

Unread post by Ypsi »

Good choice of images (assuming they or similar images appear in the video), I would consider not separating the text as you did and using one to two lines if possible. Looking on YouTube tending it seems thah text is back down again, as are arrows and circling things (thankfully :lol: ). Also I would personally consider using more than just white. If you use the same colors and patterns your thumbnails start to “feel” and look the same when you view the video grid of your channel, one thing I like to do is use the eye drop tool in photoshop and get a color from a locomotive or railroad logo (and make it vibrant as most of the time the matched color is as dull as a dirty locomotive). The only other thing is make sure you export in 16x9 ratio so when you upload them to the video it doesn’t cut or image or information you want. The first one form the drone is, the next two don’t appear to be. Making thumbnails is a pain, and honestly one of the longest steps to uploading a video other than the edit. It does add value though so I commend you for wanted to create quality thumbnails above what YouTube defaults you to have.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown