Daily Uploads

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Daily Uploads

Unread post by AARR »

Someone posted this under my name as an April Fool's joke
AARR wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:22 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:00 pm
ImageMAC on a Bridge by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A single rebuilt SD70AC leads 76 cars of freight east over the Thornapple River on train L303. I'm glad to see the ex Conrail SD70s are getting the rebuild treatment, too. 3/23/2023
Actually this is an SD80MAC leading the train. I thought you would understand that, since your username is SD80MAC and all.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

M326-02 Crawls through Waverly Yard because of an issue with PTC and a track inspector ahead on the line

As a result of the slow speed through Holland, I was able to catch up in Zeeland

Later seen passing through Grandville

And lastly in Wyoming Yard

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImagePlainfield Yard by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Grand Rapids Eastern #2104 heads past the old GTW depot and what little remains of the Trunk's Plainfield Yard on a sunny spring morning. 3/30/2023

ImageGarrett Sub Parking Lot by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

An SD50-2 and an ES40DC are parked at Suman with Q391 while an empty coal train is pulling up right behind them. The old B&O was very congested on this day, with west-bounds stacked up from East Curtis to near Wellsboro. The green intermediate in the distance on track 2 was for Q146. 8/21/2014

ImageStill Hanging On by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Huron & Eastern's GE fleet was in its final months of operation during late 2012. The U23Bs and B30-7ABs already having gone cold, C30-7s #5175 and #5086 continued to soldier on, along with B30-7 #5492. Rail America/G&W finally decided to put an end to these GE shenanigans by purchasing a pair of ex UP SD40M-2s and reassigning a trio of GP40-2Ws from other properties. 5175 was sidelined first, followed by 5492. 5086 would be the last to operate, working into early 2013 as a stand by unit. There was nothing wrong with any of them, and they were scrapped quickly and unceremoniously. Near the end, I caught both of the big C30s leaving Durand with 701 bound for Bay City. It would be the last time I saw them together. 9/7/2012

ImageCSXT GP38-2 #2667 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Looking a little out of place in the blizzard-like conditions of Michigan, GP38-2 #2667 trails on Q326 at Fox siding, heading for Lansing. This was the last Seaboard painted unit on CSX, lasting until early 2008. 12/4/2006

ImageSanta Fe #92 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

My absolute favorite EMD product to ever roll out of La Grange was the FP45. Built at the request of Santa Fe for a passenger locomotive that "looked" like a passenger locomotive, but could also later be easily converted to freight service if needed, EMD to the SDP45 and added a streamlined cowl. Setting the standard for what would later become the North American Safety Cab (including the signature tear drop windshields), the result was a classic, utilitarian yet classy look, only made better by the ATSF's Warbonnet scheme.

#92 has been a part of the collection at IRM since 1999. A few years ago, the engine went to NRE's Silvis shops where it was rebuilt and returned to operation. Unfortunately for me during Diesel Days 2013, the "Big Jack", as Santa Fe crews called them, was tucked away inside the shop during the festivities. 7/20/2013

ImageNo Longer Possible by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

While you might still be lucky enough to catch an IC SD70 leading a freight on the GTW, you're not getting this angle without a drone anymore. Train A451 is seen here approaching the Newberry Road bridge west of Durand, which unfortunately burned down in 2022. 1/14/2022

ImageWhen Trains Were Cool by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After working Y103 on a particularly nice May morning, a conversation with the yardmaster informed me that Q335 was getting close. A quick drive across town and the headlight was coming around the corner. Definitely was not expecting a CEFX AC4400 and an SD80MAC! 5/4/2014

ImageMud Hen at the Water Tank by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Former Rio Grande K-27 #464 has just gotten a drink from the water tower and now waits to depart with an excursion. This is Crossroads Village's Huckleberry Railroad, originally a standard gauge Pere Marquette line that was narrow gauged in the 70s for the creation of the park. #464 is currently OOS pending a rebuild. 7/19/2007

ImageWinter in Genesee Yard by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Huron & Eastern's 740 job goes about their switching with the usually-assigned Central Michigan #2014 on a sunny but cold February day in 2011. 740 handles all of the switching between Bay City and Saginaw and often times was bigger than the 702 headed for Durand. #2014 is still on the roster as of early 2023, now HESR #2028. 2/8/2011

ImageToot Toot by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The crew on L303 gives me a few toots on the horn as rebuilt SD70AC #4575 grinds past milepost CH 147 with a heavy train of Lansing and Detroit traffic. 3/21/2023
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As always I like the pictures and commentary.

Do you recall below's location? I don't remember seeing a spot like that between Saginaw and Bay City.
SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:41 am
ImageWinter in Genesee Yard by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Huron & Eastern's 740 job goes about their switching with the usually-assigned Central Michigan #2014 on a sunny but cold February day in 2011. 740 handles all of the switching between Bay City and Saginaw and often times was bigger than the 702 headed for Durand. #2014 is still on the roster as of early 2023, now HESR #2028. 2/8/2011
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

AARR wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 pm
As always I like the pictures and commentary.

Do you recall below's location? I don't remember seeing a spot like that between Saginaw and Bay City.
Just based on the angle, I'm guessing he was behind either the Wakeman Funeral Home or Saginaw Art Museum in Saginaw on N Michigan Ave.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Click the link and it will show you exactly where I geo-tagged it on the map. It's on the south side of Genesee yard.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks guys. I see it now.
Just based on the angle, I'm guessing he was behind either the Wakeman Funeral Home or Saginaw Art Museum in Saginaw on N Michigan Ave.
SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:27 pm
Click the link and it will show you exactly where I geo-tagged it on the map. It's on the south side of Genesee yard.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:27 pm
Ah, didn't see the feature on Flickr, neato. Appears I was right at least.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

ImageThe sunrise of a new era by David R. Collins, on Flickr

I’ve photographed so many trains with the sunrise, but this one is the most symbolic I’ve taken. Here’s Canadian Pacific autorack train 137 heading west through Romulus, Michigan, a mere 6 days before the largest merger/takeover in railroading history takes effect between Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern. Combined, the two railroads will have trackage spanning across THREE countries, the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

I honestly don’t know what to expect out of this mega-merger, and not many others do, but hopefully, it will usher in much-needed change into the world of railroading in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Is CP + KCS really the biggest? Is it bigger than SP + UP?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Saturnalia wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:16 am
CPKC will have an estimated track millage of 19800 miles while UP has 32100 miles. So no it isn't bigger than SP + UP

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Talk wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:21 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:16 am
CPKC will have an estimated track millage of 19800 miles while UP has 32100 miles. So no it isn't bigger than SP + UP
Gotcha, so it isn’t the largest merger/takeover in history. Didn’t think it was. The only reason this was really allowed to easily happen is that KCS was exempt from the much more stringent approval requirements required to merge two Class Ones together.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ImageWhat's new was old by David R. Collins, on Flickr

I got word from a friend of mine that a particular CN SD60 was leading CN E251 today, when I asked for the number of the engine, I was amazed. It was CN #5416. It brought back so many memories of me and my dad spending our evenings at the beginning of the COVID lockdowns at Opdyke road, watching the evening locals and Amtrak.

5416 was on L513 for most of the month of April 2020 and I made sure was out for it every weekday, why you ask? 5416 had the most amazing sounding old cast P5 horn, and it was something different compared to all of the other horns I’ve heard. It also brought back memories of the monthly trips my parents and I would take to the North Carolina Transportation Museum with all of the classic Southern railway power sporting Old cast P5 and M5 horns.

Me and my friend Matthew setup at Opdyke Road for it, and I was through the roof excited, until I heard the horn, Then I was through the roof livid! Those bastards had changed the old cast P5 to a crappy sounding new cast P5!

Oh well, It’s always a treat though to see a standard cab lead a road train, and even if it wasn’t 5416, I would’ve been out for it. So here’s E251 heading north by Opdyke Road with the 5416, a GEVO and an SD70i for power.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageThe General by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

If you're ever in Kennesaw, GA, I highly recommend checking out the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History. The crown jewel of the collection is Western & Atlantic #3, the "General", which famously was stolen by Union soldiers during the Civil War and set into motion the fabled "Great Locomotive Chase". The General last ran in the 1960s, I believe, and is now permanently displayed at the museum. 9/22/2013

ImageBig Bruiser by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Splitting the intermediates at CH 118, L303 rolls east behind a trio of EMD products. With only 10 on the roster, CSX's big SD70ACe-T4 units remain a small but interesting footnote in a sea of General Electric products. 11/6/2022

ImageIC SD40-3 #6261 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Originally built for the Burlington Northern, Illinois Central #6261 sits outside of the CN's Homewood shops on a cold winter morning. 1/3/2008

ImageTeep Geep by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A loaded rail train has just crossed the GTW diamond at Wayne and is rolling west on the old Pennsy behind TP&W GP40X #4056 and CF&E SD40-2 #5597. This was the only time I ever saw the 4056 moving, and a spirited chase ensued. 4/6/2014

ImageGravity Drop by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

West Michigan’s power waits in the clear while the conductor rolls a string of empties west down the mainline. This will position the cars on the west end of the engines so they can be shoved to the CSX interchange. 3/30/2023

ImageSunday Morning by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

An in-bound dinky passes an MOW employee checking the switches on a quiet Sunday morning in Hinsdale. 10/2/2022

ImageSouth Chickamauga Creek by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Southern #630 leads one of the many TVRM excursions that day over the impressive bridge over South Chickamauga Creek. The chunky little 2-8-0 was the museum's main workhorse at that point, as Mikado #4501 was still undergoing restoration. 9/28/2013

ImagePlanning Ahead by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

One interesting trait of the Grand Trunk Western and it's predecessors was how it set up its right of ways. Single track lines were also laid with a 60/40 ft split from the center of the rails, just incase a second track would need to be added later. They did the same thing with many of their bridges, either building a doubletrack bridge from the start or pouring large piers capable of handling a second track. One of these bridges spans Monroe Ave in Grand Rapids, on what is now the Grand Rapids Eastern. To my knowledge, the left portion of the bridge has never held a second track, though it would certainly be able to. GR #2104 can be seen approaching with it's train. 3/30/2023

ImageCN #5288 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

With the recent announcement that CN 4-6-2 #5288 would be leaving TVRM for the Colebrookdale Railroad, I vaguely recalled shooting it during my visit to the museum in 2013. Sure enough, I did. This old CN varnish hauler saw lots of service on the Central Vermont and was part of the original Steamtown collection. At some point TVRM acquired it with plans to eventually restore it, but that never happened. 5288's stoker was actually removed and installed on Southern 2-8-2 #4501. From TVRM's website:

"The 5288 was built in March of 1918 by the Montreal Locomotive Works for the Canadian Government Railway as number 516, and later as number 1516. The locomotive is classified as a J-7-b, having an open cab, unlike the J-7 class that had enclosed all-weather cabs.

The Canadian Government Railway sent the locomotive for use on the Grand Trunk Railway, where it was relettered and numbered Grand Trunk 1516. The locomotive was taken over by the Canadian National Railway in September 1919, being renumbered to Canadian National 5288.

The locomotive principally handled passenger trains in eastern Canada. The 5288 also operated in the United States when it also pulled international trains into White River Junction, Vermont. By 1956, the locomotive was assigned to pull commuter trains in the Montreal area.

When retired in 1960, the locomotive was stored servicable in the Canadian National Railway’s Turcot roundhouse. F. Nelson Blount, the founder of Steamtown, USA, acquired the 5288 in September 1961. He had it moved to Steamtown, USA in Bellows Falls, Vermont.

It remained with the Steamtown, USA collection even into its transition as a National Park after moving to Scranton, Pennsylvania. In 2001, after being deemed as surplus, the locomotive was donated to TVRM, where it resides on display today. The locomotive was essential in the restoration of the Southern Railway 4501, when its mechanical stoker was removed in 2012 to be reconditioned for use in the 4501." 9/28/2013

ImageWaiting by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Y106 holds just shy of the Franklin St bridge as it waits for Z151 and L303 to clear up. 2/23/2023

ImageGrand Ledge by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After a day of shooting trains on the CN a few miles south, it was somewhat bewildering to find an SD75I leading Q335 with a CEFX SD40M-2 tucked behind it. The yard at Grand Ledge was full of stored cars at that time, mostly former Conrail boxcars awaiting eventual scrapping. 10/20/2007

ImageGloomy Day Z151 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Marquette Rail's Z151 makes a rare daylight appearance in Grand Rapids behind leased Ohio Central SD40-2 #9934 and GMTX GP38-2 #2648. 11/3/2006

ImageThe Elusive Elk by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

During the first few years of Watco's Grand Elk operations, their runs to Grand Rapids were very sporadic. Random days of the week and random times of the day, I want to say this was one of the first times I ever caught 303 heading south from GR. 4125 was just one of two SD40-2s on the roster back then. Now they have 6! 8/12/2011

ImageB49 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Norfolk Southern local B49 is switching out Van's Logistics on the Hughart Runner with one of the usual-assigned GE B32-8s on a cold winter day in 2007. Van's briefly located on the NS before moving to the Grand Rapids Eastern and finally Marquette Rail. 1/25/2007

ImageGolden Hour Berk by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Pere Marquette #1225 catches the late day sun on the grounds of the Steam Railroading Institute. After sunset, the big Lima engine will be lit up for a night photo session put on by the Pere Marquette Historical Society. 7/25/2008

ImageCN 4-6-4T #47 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Canadian National #47 is a 4-6-4T that was used in commuter service in the greater Montreal area. A rare North American tank engine, these little brutes could run equally well going forwards and backwards. Sadly, it is looking a little rough these days, like so many pieces in the Steamtown collection. 10/1/2016

ImageWinter Time @ 118 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Grand Rapids-Toledo freight Q334, normally nocturnal during this time period, splits the intermediates at Haddix Rd in Lake Odessa. The reason for the delay was due to the freight getting a knuckle late the night before, and the recrew had just finished reassembling the train to continue east. A pair of visiting CP ES44ACs add a splash of color to the wintry landscape. 2/15/2014

ImageGoodbye KCS by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

My one and only day on the actual KCS involved my friends and I chasing an empty grain train from Oklahoma all the way up to Joplin, MO. With a pair of Belle ES44ACs in a steady rain, GBVKC is seen here rolling through Anderson, MO. 5/3/2019

ImageKindel by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Was snapping photos of L303 here with the old Kindel Furniture smoke stack when suddenly my camera stopped shooting. The hell? Turns out my memory card was full. Oops! That hasn't happened in a while. Anyway, here's a pair of AC4400s rolling towards me right before I got "FULL". 3/30/2023

ImageGrinding East by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The battle with the Thornapple grade is won and the train is gradually increasing speed as L303 heads for Detroit with an SD70MAC toting 75 cars. 3/23/2023

ImageEssexville Coal by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The first N956 of the season makes its way into Wyoming Yard. CSX-LSRC had these trains for 6 months out of the year, while CN-HESR had them the other 6 months. Now the trains run exclusively CSX-LSRC (via the B&O, stupidly) and the plant in scheduled to close very soon. It really is too bad BNSF didn't slap a swoosh on the noses of these Grinsteins when they patched them out. They need something in that void! 8/2/2013

ImageMarket St by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

L303's power waits for the signal to head around the east leg of the wye as the crew turns the power for the trip to Detroit. 2/23/2023

ImageDash 2s by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A pair of SD40-2s, one home-grown and the other leased, lead an S327 across the Thornapple River on a nice summer day. 8/12/2006

ImageCSXT SD40-2 #8352 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

CSX 8352 sits outside of the Wyoming Yard diesel house on a bright and clear winter day back in 2016. The engine had been repainted only a couple of months prior, and was still very fresh looking. Originally built as a Clinchfield SD40 (CRR #3018), it was rebuilt in the early 1990s by VMV to Dash 2 specifications. The tracks the engine is sitting on have since been removed, as CSX has made it their goal to tear up every piece of rail that isn't absolutely essential. 2/20/2016

ImageJames G. Blaine by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A historical marker tells the world that congressman James Blaine hails from West Brownsville. Meanwhile, north-bound coal loads running as N72 negotiate the street trackage through town. Running for several blocks, this is one of the longest stretches of active street running in the US anymore. 8/13/2022

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

There's been a few classic SD40-2s kicking around Michigan on CSX lately, so let's have a look at a few of them, new and not so new!

CC8105 Wyoming Yard GR A.jpg
Q335 from Toledo arrives at Wyoming Yard on a sunny early summer evening in either 1997 or 1998. There's a fun lashup of SD40 power, elephant style, on the headend. Leading the parade is Scheme 3 modified #8105, built as an L&N unit, unusual with a high mounted headlight. Today it's SD40-3 #4013. Next in the lineup is HLCX #6057, originally a KCS SD40. Then Torco SD40 #998, originally L&N SD40-2 #1238. The Torco switchers from the Toledo docks would come up to Grand Rapids for their 93 day inspections and I just happened to catch 998 arriving this day.

CC8425 Q151 Plymouth 5-11-2011.jpg
How's this for double stack power? A single SD40-2, #8425, originally one among a small company of Western Maryland SD40s that later saw the Chessie brush and were updated to Dash-2 specs, leads Q151 south at Plymouth, in 2011.

000650500016.jpg
In more recent times this past winter, SD40-2 #8181, also of L&N heritage, leads the way at the head end of an L301 while coasting down Saugatuck Hill at 55th Street. In the modern era of sidelining older units and many SD40-2s rebuilt with new cabs and noses as Dash-3 units, the classic lines with the wide patio decks aren't so common. There was a time where I was dismayed when a low headlight would lead a train over the horizon, when all I wanted to see was a former Chessie on home territory up in Michigan. Nowadays, I'm just as happy to see the cutout low headlight of a SBD heritage SD40-2.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 pm
...Then Torco SD40 #998, originally L&N SD40-2 #1238.
Is TORC still a thing?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

David Collins wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:14 pm
GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 pm
...Then Torco SD40 #998, originally L&N SD40-2 #1238.
Is TORC still a thing?
Yes

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageWalcott by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Iowa Interstate's CBBI disturbs the morning peace at Walcott, IA. 5/21/2016

ImageCSXT SD40-3 #4005 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Running light engine east-bound on Y106. Curiously, this SD40-3 is not equipped with rear ditch lights, or at least it wasn't then. 4/28/2021

ImageAs Dick Dilworth Intended by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A first for me last night was getting to run a pair of honest-to-goodness high hood Geeps, “back to back” as designer Dick Dilworth intended. GLLX GP9 4428 and GP18 921 make a really nice (if unorthodox) pair. 4428 recently received a new generator and runs like a Swiss Watch. 24 air keeps the engineer busy, too! 4/28/2023

ImageTraffic Jam, Eh? by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A CN yard job shoves down the spur that once lead to the CN-GTW ferry docks in Sarnia, ON, with a pair of GP9RMs bracketing a slug. The spur is home to a large grain elevator, where all of the empty hoppers on the train will be loaded. 5/2/2013

Image"Working Together For A Cleaner State" by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

One of the NS GP33ECOs assigned to the greater Chicago area sits on the east side of the Calumet River with a short local back in 2016. 4/17/2016

ImageRare Bird by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

1 of just 5 surviving Alco C430s (of which only 4 operate) burbles through the Western New York & Pennsylvania's yard in Olean. The crew will do a bit of switching before getting their train together and heading up the mountain to the tank farm. 9/30/2016

ImageDee Seven Oh Five by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Detroit-Grand Rapids freight D705 rolls past the marigolds as the train enters Grand Rapids. 9/10/2020

ImageTwin 645s by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The muggy air is filled with the sound of beating EMD 645s as Q329 climbs its way out of the Thornapple valley behind a pair of venerable SD40-2s. 5/29/2018

ImageHohman by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

One of the Indiana Harbor Belt's SW1500s has a long string of tanks in tow as it clatters across the diamonds with NS's former Nickel Plate Chicago-Ft. Wayne mainline. 2/21/2016

ImageToronto-Bound by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

VIA 78 has completed its station work at Ingersoll and is now heading east for Toronto. These VIA P42s and LRC cars were a welcome change from the standard Amtrak equipment for this American. 5/2/2013

ImageChanging Times at Elmdale by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

CSX #8575 leads Q326 past the east end of Elmdale. The new signals were up and bagged, and the old searchlights which guarded this once busy junction for decades would soon be gone. Not one of my better photos, but one of the only ones I have showing both sets of signals. 3/12/2007

ImageFer Sure, Fer Sure by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Cornell Red ES44AC 8104 (THE VALLEY GIRL) leads train 121 south on the Conrail Shared Assets on the Sterling Secondary. The Detroit area was visited by 8104 and 8099 over the course of 2 days! 6/17/2013

ImageMidland Branch by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

What were at the time the last 3 remaining Huron & Eastern units in Central Michigan black and white made a rare daylight appearance on the Midland branch with a 770 grain extra. This train was picked up from the LSRC in Saginaw and was destined for the large grain elevator in Auburn on this ex NYC line. The HESR's Midland turn normally operates after dark, and this was the only time during my 4 years in the area I was able to catch a train on this branch. 2/11/2013

ImageBig Sixes by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

When it's lucrative sand traffic dried up almost overnight, Western New York & Pennsylvannia's fleet of big 6 axle MLWs suddenly had a lot less to do. RRPX #41 and WNYP #638 mingle with other M636s (and the railroad's lone M630) at the shop in Olean, their future uncertain. Not long after my visit, #41 was sold to the Delaware Lackawanna, where it remains today awaiting eventual restoration. 9/30/2016

ImageHigh Hoods at Rest by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

A pair of former Southern GP38-2s bask in the evening sun in the yard at East Chicago, CP 502 on the Chicago Line. 4/17/2016

ImageCGT 1.0 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Grand Elk's Z739 pulls its short CSX interchange from Old 17 on a snow-less winter evening back in 2012. WAMX 3829 would leave the Elk for Illinois a few years later. Nowadays, the Elk runs directly into Wyoming yard with their transfers. 1/11/2012

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SD80MAC, thank you for taking the time to post your pictures and descriptions. Both are appreciated.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ImageIt's a full moon by David R. Collins, on Flickr

I pulled up to Bellevue's Kemper rail park to see this sight. An NS AC44C6M, two Wheeling and Lake Erie SD40-2's and a ballast train in tow.

Being very confused, I decided to take a closer look, and ran into the engineer. He told me that they were going to take this entire train to Toledo via the chicagoline, including with the W&LE power. He said this is the first time that NS/W&LE has done this.

The train didn't end up leaving until about 11:30 PM. So I took every photo opportunity I had. I thought this one was one of the more unique photos I took, this weird consist under a full moon.