Daily Uploads

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Daily Uploads

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

We're at a crossing near Willis, Michigan, on the old Wabash main trying to make something of the weak November sun on a 2009 afternoon. While it was pleasing to see the sunshine, fall must have come and gone early this year as the trees are totally devoid of leaves!

First up, an eastbound Triple Crown rolls by for Detroit. Even though I frequented Milan during this time period I rarely crossed paths with the Triple Crown, so I was especially glad to see this one.

After NS entered the double track at Belleville, a westbound CP Rail autorack made tracks for Milan and the west. CP trackage rights over NS were a few years old at this point and at this time you could still see 6-10 CP trains a day on this stretch.

Later, I migrated east and caught two southbounds on the CSX near the Wick Road crossing, passing some fading fall colors. I'll have to dig those shots out, too!
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageHeading Home by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After yarding a loaded grain train at LSRC's Saginaw Yard, Huron & Eastern's 815 job has cut their engines away and is heading light power back to Bay City. 3/3/2024

ImageHere Come The Loads by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Another rock outcropping near "Railfan Rock" provides a nice elevated view of Northshore Mining's 11 AM crude loads as they descend the grade towards Silver Bay. Would a trio or quartet of SD40-2s be cooler? Probably, but I certainly won't complain about a pair of nicely painted and relatively clean SD70ACes. 6/10/2023

ImageOne Of Two by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Minnesota Commercial #318 is just one of two remaining Alco RS27s. A transitionary model between the older RS units and the newer Century series, the RS27 was more or less a sales flop that only sold 27 (ironic) units. 318 and sister 316 were both originally built for the Chicago & North Western, later being sold to Green Bay & Western and ultimately winding up on the Commercial. With The Alco era officially over on the MNNR, what will happen to these historic locomotives remains to be seen. 318 was parked off to the side at Midway Yard with an EMD switcher on this morning. 6/11/2023

ImageVILX SD18 #7311 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Former C&O SD18 #7311 sits at the end of the siding just south of Wellsboro on a muggy July afternoon. The old Chessie unit was then owned by Vintage Locomotives Inc and leased to the Chesapeake & Indiana. The engine has since left the CKIN, and still exists, though I'm not sure of its current whereabouts. 7/22/2011

ImageM356 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

It's still early in the morning as M356, heavily laden with automotive traffic, rolls through Mountain Iron on CN's Rainy Subdivision. 6/10/2023

ImageStone Empties by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Before PSR, CSX would run stone as separate unit trains, instead of just mixed in with regular freight. Here a stone empty from Grand Rapids, K931, is powering up the grade at Fox behind one of CSX's distinctive CW40-9s and an ex Conrail SD60M. The train is ultimately headed for Carey, OH, for another load of stone for Michigan. 4/21/2012

ImageHarbor Power by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Two GP40-2s, an SW1500, and a GP40-2W and Slug take the afternoon off at Indiana Harbor Belt's Blue Island yard. 10/1/2023

ImageSD70MArCh Madness by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

I've only been thinking "Why can't we just get a pair of 70s in the L302/303 rotation for a bit?" for the better part of 2 years. That has finally happened, at least for the last couple of days. A bonus was freshly rebuilt #4757 leading, the first of the flared SD70AC rebuilds I've seen. With only 40 cars in tow, #4757 is doing all the work while #4555 idles along behind. 3/29/2024

ImagePotterville by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

M397 accelerates back up to track speed after meeting Q116 at the west end of the double track in Potterville. 3/3/2024

ImageBetter Than School by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After meeting an east-bound at the end of the double track, a late L521 blasts off for South Bend behind GP38-2 #4925 and GP9R #4619. The old union depot still stands in the distance, located at the crossing of the GTW with the former NYC (now Grand Elk). 6/29/2012

ImageNIWX B32-8 #539 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

NIWX #539 (ex NS #3539), GE B32-8 (Dash 8-32B in GE-speak). This unit is part of a group of 4 axle Dash 8s purchased from NS in the late 2010s. We are technically looking at the rear of the locomotive, since these things were set up Southern style with the long hood designated as the front. Pairs of these were the typical power assigned to the Elkhart-Grand Rapids trains when I was younger. This unit was leased to Stone Co in Lansing, but has since been sent elsewhere. 11/5/2023
Last edited by SD80MAC on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

Nice photos! I believe 7311 is in a deadline in Oklahoma these days.
Resident GE foamer :lol:
19 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.
https://youtube.com/@ACCWMetal?si=KhXh5f-cdvICYx--

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Jon was that pair of CSX MAC’s photo taken from the Grand River Ave overpass in Lansing near the airport? I’ve wanted to get a shot there for a long time but the timing has never worked. Side note: a lot of those trees have good fall color. Additional side note, you were within sight of a McDonalds if my locational guess is correct meaning you could have been enjoying a Mac while two Mac’s passed you by. Talk about an opportunity for a Mac attack!

And, as a technical detail which you no doubt already know, Schoolcraft is where the GTW crossed the NYC (LS&MS), not the GR&I. That crossing was a few miles east in Vicksburg at their Union depot. All of this is fresh in my mind as I was recently helping the Vicksburg Historical Society nominate their depot to the National Register of Historic Places … but that’s another story.

Oh, and great photos as usual!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That is actually the Thornapple River Dr overpass in Cascade, just east of Fox. And you are totally correct on Schoolcraft, brain fart.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Interesting information
SD80MAC wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:57 am
ImageOne Of Two by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Minnesota Commercial #318 is just one of two remaining Alco RS27s. A transitionary model between the older RS units and the newer Century series, the RS27 was more or less a sales flop that only sold 27 (ironic) units. 318 and sister 316 were both originally built for the Chicago & North Western, later being sold to Green Bay & Western and ultimately winding up on the Commercial. With The Alco era officially over on the MNNR, what will happen to these historic locomotives remains to be seen. 318 was parked off to the side at Midway Yard with an EMD switcher on this morning. 6/11/2023
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageTeardrop by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Teardrop EMDs are becoming more and more common on CSX as the railroad works to rebuild its nearly 200 unit fleet of SD70ACs. While still a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of GE road units, 70s like #4554 make running out to shoot L303 on a gloomy day worth it. 3/10/2024

ImageNew Buffalo Meet by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

An empty coal train has taken the siding at New Buffalo for Q326, which is seen flying down the main behind CW40-8 #7891. Straddling the main and siding the distance is the large coaling tower dating back to the Pere Marquette days. 3/4/2018

ImageThe SIND by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Southern Indiana Railway S2M #103 passes by the railroad's small shop in Sellersburg, IN. Time was almost up for this unique little short line, which operated on former interurban trackage with some incredibly sharp and winding curves. The railroad has since shut down as their only customer, a large cement plant in Speed, quit operations a few years ago. 5/1/2019

ImageChessie Sunrise by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ES40DC #5437 leads Grand Rapids-Detroit freight Q328 over the Chessie-adorned bridge in Grand Rapids, located at Fox on the Plymouth Subdivision. Originally a grade crossing, this bridge was installed in the late 80s due to the frequent meets that happened at Fox back then. Even though CSX had been the corporate brand for a few years at that point, "Chessie" was snuck into the design proposal by local management and engineers and was approved, as a final middle finger to the Seaboard System. Over 30 years later, Chessie is still looking good. 1/31/2018

ImageOnce Upon A Time @ Godfrey by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Marquette Rail's Z151 is being lead by flagship SD40-2 GLLX #3001 on this day as the train rolls west on the Sunnyside Lead in the late November sun at Godfrey. Much has changed here since I shot this in 2012. The code line (along with the classic C&O cantilever) is gone, with the signal system having been upgraded in 2013. The overgrown and derelict buildings at the right have also since been cleared out, and the spot is now occupied by Beacon Recycling, a very active CSX customer. The spur to Gelock Heavy Movers at left, dormant for over 20 years, is also now active again as a lumber transload. And of course, #3001 is now G&W orange MQT #3389. 11/16/2012

ImageAlmost There by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

U790's trio of C40-8s have almost reached the end of their journey, nearing Two Harbors on a rainy spring morning at Waldo. In-bound trains like U790 take the northern-most line into town, descending a steep grade with the aid of their dynamics and straight air. Empty trains leave Two Harbors on the southern and easier grade, which is in the foreground here. 6/10/2023

ImageGet 'Em While You Can by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

One of the dwindling number of AC4400s on CSX leads a very short L303 east at Cascade. With Wabtec and CSX planning to rebuild the entire fleet, time is short for these 90s wide bodies. 3/11/2024

ImageApproaching Wellsboro by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

An ES44AC and 3 ET44ACs lead a west-bound CN freight along the South Bend Sub, passing the Wellsboro set out track. 3/4/2018

ImageLSRC C425M-AC #181 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

By the Fall of 2009, Lake State Railway’s once mighty fleet of Alco and MLW products was down to just a token force. EMD replacements had gradually been sidelining them one by one as they failed and were usually not repaired. C425M-AC #181 was parked on one of the finger tracks around the turntable at the roundhouse in Saginaw on this day. The fall grain rush saw C425 #281, C425M-AC #1280, M420 #3504, and one other unit (might’ve been #181, can’t remember) resurrected for one last hurrah. 1280 and 3504 were last two to be retired in very early 2010. 1280 and 181 were converted to AC traction by the LSRC in I believe the late 90s. The four C425s were acquired by the D&M in 1980 and 1981 and were former PRR units rebuilt at Hornell. They were scrapped in Saginaw in 2010. 10/16/2009

ImageHullo by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Reflecto Man does his signature wave as X500 gets underway from Grand Rapids behind CP SD40-2 #6029 and an AC4400. East-bound coke empties await a new crew on the Service Track at left. This was one of the last times I lensed a Pacman 40 in Grand Rapids. 2/7/2009

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ImageThe Top by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The battle is nearly won at East Saugatuck as N903 grinds up Saugatuck Hill at 10 mph, the crest being about a half a mile or so behind me in this shot. D802's 2 GE's are shoving hard on the rear, out of sight. With a max grade of 1.4% and several sharp curves, the hill requires any train over 10,000 tons to either be pushed or DPU'd. 7/13/2012

ImageRolling To Denver by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

After meeting a north-bound freight, Union Pacific #844 and DDA40X #6936 roll out the south end of the siding at La Salle (I think). This was the annual Denver Post Special that operated between Cheyenne and Denver every July.

FEF-3 #844 is a steam locomotive that certainly needs no introduction. Built new by Alco for the UP in 1944, it was the final steam locomotive delivered to the UP. #844 has the distinction of being the only steam locomotive in the United States to have never been retired, and has been continuously carried in active status on Union Pacific's roster since 1944! 7/22/2010

ImageEmpties East by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

One of the few SD70ACUs not assigned to the Altoona Helper pool leads an empty NS hopper train 885 east through Pine. 9/5/2020

ImageTower A-2 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Recently some friends and I took a day trip to the greater Chicago area in search of trains. One of our goals was to shoot some of Metra's new SD70MACHs in action. While Metra operates on a reduced schedule on Sundays, we were pleased to learn that two MACHs were in service on the Milwaukee North line that day. After shooting them both in-bound at CP Morgan, we moved a bit further out to Tower A-2 to await the out-bound. With the sun beginning to set on a picture-perfect Spring day, we were able to lens #501 passing the tower as it slowed for its stop at Western Ave with train 2719. 4/21/2024
Last edited by SD80MAC on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:49 pm

#844 has the distinction of being the only steam locomotive in the United States to have never been retired, and has been continuously carried in active status on Union Pacific's roster since 1944! 7/22/2010
standard gauge maybe.
the D&RGW narrow gauge K-28s 473, 476 and 478 were never set aside.
they are still rostered by the Durango & Silverton.
I'll bet you actually know that :D

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

You are correct, Dave O, and I have amended my caption to say "the only one to never be retired by its original owner".

ImageHerzog by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Recently a Herzog ballast train visited the former Pere Marquette, dumping lots of stone on the Grand Rapids and Plymouth Subs. With a pair of Union Pacific GEs on the head end and a third as DPU on the bottom, W085 is wasting no time as they blast up the hill towards Fox. Further east of town, they will slow to drop stone over a 50 mile stretch of the Plymouth Sub. 4/20/2024

ImageMAC Attack by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Doing all the work on this relatively short L303, SD70MAC #4555 rolls east past CH 147 on a gray March day. 3/19/2024

Image2,000,000 Injury-Free Hours by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

On New Year's Eve 2005, Q335 is rolling up the Coach Lead into Wyoming Yard behind SD40-2s #8803 and #8155, along with GP15-1 #1540. CSX #8803 is the former Conrail #6373, which was specially adorned with graphics commemorating 2,000,000 man hours at the Juniata Shops without an injury. This unit later received a yellow CSX nose before getting YN3 paint in 2010. It was later retired and sold to NRE. 12/31/2005

ImageNothing But Net by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

The last time I visited CP Morgan, the signal bridge still hosted vintage Pennsylvania RR position lights (it's been a few years!). While the old signals are gone, Morgan is still a great spot to shoot Metra trains in the city. Here Milwaukee North District train 2718 is seen passing under the bridge, shoved by one of Metra's "new" SD70MACHs. These locomotives have proven to be an absolute slam-dunk for the agency, with glowing reviews from the crews and mechanical departments. Powered by EMD's reliable 710 engine (which is also used in Metra's fleet of F59s and MP36s), the SD70MAC is one of my favorite units to ever have run, and I will die on that hill. Metra's fleet has been re-geared and re-wired for faster acceleration, and they are big enough that they will be able to pull (or push) any train the agency gives them without needing to double head. To top it all off, they were a good deal cheaper and, so far, much more reliable than the passenger units being produced by that German firm. Maybe Amtrak should take notes? 4/21/2024