2024 North Central Region - Spring Modelers Meet

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

2024 North Central Region - Spring Modelers Meet

Unread post by 12Bridge »

More info here -

https://smm.ncrnmra.org/

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 2024 North Central Region - Spring Modelers Meet

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

About 60 people turned out for the meet. The Senior Center was a nice location that easily accommodated everyone.The BBQ truck the host committee brought in for on-site lunch was quite good and a bit faster than most other trucks I've seen.

Highlights from the display room included Dave McMullian's extensively re-built and re-detailed Athearn B&M Pacific and his 3D printed passenger cars (both of which were covered in separate clinics). Brooke Qualman brought nearly a full neighborhood's worth of beautiful scratchbuilt HO scale homes, as well as the first model I've ever seen of Detroit's Brush Street Station. She presented a clinic session on her approach to modeling structures.

Paul Strubeck had a pretty impressive variety of his diesel detailing parts for sale. I was struck by how well his line covered parts needed for rebuilt first- and early second-generation diesels, chiefly EMD. Speaking of EMD, Jim Wolsiffer displayed a beautifully-detailed 7.5" gauge Blomberg truck with working clasp brakes and some injection-molded heavy plastic ties he uses for his trackwork. I didn't catch the name of the modeler who exhibited a nicely-detailed HO model of the NYC Maumee River swing bridge, but it was a stand-out.

There were a couple of modular layouts, including an out-and-back arrangement by the SE MIchigan Free-Mo guys

I didn't make it to as many of the home layouts on the tour as I would have liked, but made it a point to see the new section that Doug Tagsold added to his 1/72 scale Colorado & Southern Clear Creek Division in a new room added to his basement. It stretches his mainline run out to 700 feet. I'd've liked to see whether Steve Kapela's Norfolk & Whey was a relocated version of a layout with that name that I operated on at the 2010 NMRA National in MIlwaukee, but there just wasn't time to get there.

Over the course of the day, four people approached me who are interested in attending operating sessions on the Operations Road Show layout in Saline. One them happens to live just a couple doors down from one of our Dispatchers. We've put them on the call list for upcoming sessions.

I very much enjoyed the one-day format for a meet like this. It was quite a bargain for twenty bucks.
-Fritz Milhaupt