HESR 3865 HO model - Air Horn and Ditch lights ?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

HESR 3865 HO model - Air Horn and Ditch lights ?

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Hi Everyone

I had kinda tabled my CM U23 project due to a combo of life happening and the fact that I had found one of the Atlas factory decorated units.

As an easier project, I picked up one of the Athearn (Roundhouse I think) HESR GP38-2's in the Rail America Scheme that they ran within the last couple years. I've got 3865.

While I don't think it's a "dead" ringer for the real unit (I thought about getting one of the Genesis P&LE units which I think would be closer), I've decided that with a few small details, it'll be close enough for me to be happy with. I much prefer the PM inspired HESR scheme anyway, so this Rail America unit will really be moreso to inflict sadness on my HO scale railfans as it invariably leads a dow train of CM units at some point.

I've got a plow (PL-155 slightly modified) , and it looks like a couple antennas, air horn, and ditch lights, along with painting the pilot/step areas blue instead of black, are all that I'd need to do to get it "close enough" for me.

What Air horn did/does 3865 have ? I'm terrible with Horns, being a Conrail guy at heart (which for the most part, makes the horn issue easy). If 3865's horn had changed over time, I'd be looking for what it had circa 2000-2010 ish.

How do I wire ditch lights ? I've never done ditch lights before, and this seemed like an easier unit to start with. I've got the holes drilled, headlight casings from Scale Sound systems, and LED's, but I'm unsure HOW to wire them in ? The Athearn board on this is more robust than what I expected, and appears to have everything I'd need to preclude the decoder buddy I bought for it. There are extra Function outputs on the athearn board and it's ready to go for a 21 pin decoder which I have ready. Do I need resistors for the LED's ? I am doing ditch lights on both ends FWIW.

Appreciate the help as always!
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: HESR 3865 HO model - Air Horn and Ditch lights ?

Unread post by AARR »

Did post a video of your engine on YouTube at Durand station layout?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Nope that wasn't me. I haven't seen the Durand layout since I was a teenager sadly and was never a member of or affiliated at all with that group. Would like to make it up there again and check it out though.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RailsandTrucks wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:41 pm
Nope that wasn't me.
It’s a coincidence that someone else is doing that same engine and posted it there
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

RailsandTrucks wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:45 am
What Air horn did/does 3865 have ? I'm terrible with Horns, being a Conrail guy at heart (which for the most part, makes the horn issue easy). If 3865's horn had changed over time, I'd be looking for what it had circa 2000-2010 ish.
3865 has a really interestingly tuned Nathan K5LA, not sure if it’s an R24 (the two and four chimes backwards) or if it’s just a straight K5LA with all chimes forward.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Thank You David!

Based on your input and looking at this photo on RR picture archives, I'm thinking it's a K5 R24, as it looks like from this view it's got the 3 forward chimes and 2 rearward.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=827508

Really appreciate the insight there in getting me pointed in the right direction. I have to travel this week for work, so I'm hoping if I order the parts tonight or tomorrow, I can have em by the time I'm back home for the weekend.

AARR - Thank you for posting that! Looks like Michael has the same idea that I do with 3865 leading some CM units. I'm really starting to turn my modeling attention to Michigan shortlines and regionals, so it's always cool to see what other people are up too.

Long term, I'd really like a model of MMRR 24 since I chased it one winters day a few years back on the run from GRR to Lowell and return, but given that I'm still getting back into the swing of things and knowing that one is going to be a tricky build due to the chop nose and 5 step end sills among others, I'm a little hesitant at the moment.

After I get done with 3865 my next project is finishing up an Ann Arbor GP35 that was purchased as a partially finished (painted and decaled already, including the notched nose bell) Kato unit at the Lansing show a few years ago- I still kick myself for not picking up the other partial that was unpainted that was there with it. I plan on installing DCC/Sound in that one, but I need to figure out the issue of the cab mounted light and how it operated ? Seemed like it had a red lens in the lower position, and a standard lens up top ? Some sort of Mars light ? Plus the standard headlight in the nose.

I'm trying to clear off a few "easy" projects on the work bench to make room for some of the more indepth stuff I want to get my paws into as I get time.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

RailsandTrucks wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:49 pm
Thank You David!

Based on your input and looking at this photo on RR picture archives, I'm thinking it's a K5 R24, as it looks like from this view it's got the 3 forward chimes and 2 rearward.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=827508

Really appreciate the insight there in getting me pointed in the right direction. I have to travel this week for work, so I'm hoping if I order the parts tonight or tomorrow, I can have em by the time I'm back home for the weekend.
Anytime :)
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k