Walthers proto GP30 Chessie/CSX patch

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Walthers proto GP30 Chessie/CSX patch

Unread post by KVERBERK »

re-numbered my proto GP30 to a CSX number that I had a picture of. Also did a little weathering. I don't think the pictures do the weathering justice. I was surprised how well it turned out.
Here it is

Here is an attempt to recreate the photo angle of the proto type:
Can you spot the differences? there are a few.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Walthers proto GP30 Chessie/CSX patch

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Nice job on the weathering! I have that GP30 in the C&O blue/yellow. As a dispatcher and a Chessie employee, I hated when CSX came in and renumbered everything so as not to conflict with their Seaboard stuff. Sorry, but the 4263 SHOULD BE a GP40!!! :lol:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is super close! One difference is the louvers on the door and short hood battery box.
KVERBERK wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:57 pm
Here is an attempt to recreate the photo angle of the proto type:
Can you spot the differences? there are a few.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks C&O dispatcher. I understand that. Growing up seeing the dirty old patched Chessie cats makes me want to recreate that look I guess. I'm currently working on a GP-35 and have plans to do a SCL GP40, a Chessie GP40-2 and maybe a GE or two.

AARR yes that's a couple, still hoping to see some pics of your model railroad ;)
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The closer I look the more I'm impressed at how closely you matched the prototype!

Light lense is slightly different and the air vent is mounted on the side of the nose.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, but the details are pretty much stock from the factory. The only changes I did were the renumbering, CSX patch, and the weathering. Otherwise the model was close enough for me.
You are right about the Light, and the color of the light housing should be blue instead of yellow. Also the number font that I used doesn't quite match but it's not that noticable. The coupler cut lever is also yellow on the real thing(I may change that on my model). I wish I could add a slotted battery box cover. Anyway, I was happy with how it turned out.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan