insulated rail joiners

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

insulated rail joiners

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Does anyone have a recommendation on insulated rail joiners? I am using HO scale atlas flex track and atlas turnouts. I bought a pack of atlas insulated rail joiners, however the plastic in the middle that separates the rails does not come all the way up to the rail head. I feel like a metal wheel will momentarily "fall" into the gap thus bridging the gap and nullifying the joiner? has anyone used these? do they work? I am gapping the rail for eventual signaling as well as a couple power districts and one reversing section. I've read about filling the gap with styrene but I though it might be easier to put in insulated joiners as I lay the track as I know where I want my blocks. Thanks

-Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: insulated rail joiners

Unread post by AARR »

I haven't had any issues with the small gap you mentioned in the insulated rail joiner.

However, on my current layout, I'm just cutting through the entire rail and not even using insulators. The steel wheel still touches both sides of the rail but my trains seem to run fine.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: insulated rail joiners

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Thanks. I’ll give them a try.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan