Ann Arbor Caboose Questions

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Ann Arbor Caboose Questions

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I recently picked up some decals to do some Ann Arbor equipment and I was curious as to what caboose model would be a good starting point for the Wabash style caboose? The closest thing I can find is a cheapo Bachmann train set caboose, but even that will need some overhauling. At least I didnt have to pay anything for it. Is there a better option out there?

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some TSBY GP35 decals?
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ann Arbor Caboose Questions

Unread post by AARR »

I'll have to look up the manufacturer but somebody makes a very close replica but they make the body only...you're on your own for couplers and trucks.

Ann Arbor Railroad Technical & Historical Association makes decals http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/. Go to:
The Ann Arbor Railroad
Technical & Historical Association
membership information
and Company store - Publication Info
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

There is a resin kit out there for those cabs, as long a $50 for a caboose doesn't bother you.

http://www.wrighttrak.com/page3.php?vie ... category=2

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I'll have to look up the manufacturer but somebody makes a very close replica but they make the body only...you're on your own for couplers and trucks.

Ann Arbor Railroad Technical & Historical Association makes decals http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/. Go to:
The Ann Arbor Railroad
Technical & Historical Association
membership information
and Company store - Publication Info
I already got the decals for the ferry in the fog scheme for the caboose and a GP35. I love ferry in the fog scheme.
cnw8835 wrote:There is a resin kit out there for those cabs, as long a $50 for a caboose doesn't bother you.

Doesnt bother me, providing that all the details on the painted model come with it. Or is this the caboose Don was thinking of?
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

cnw8835 wrote:There is a resin kit out there for those cabs, as long a $50 for a caboose doesn't bother you.

This is the one I was thinking of. I have two of them (acquired them at a train show for less :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some TSBY GP35 decals?
Are you looking for the blue style TSBY or the original black and yellow scheme? I specialize in Michigan short line decals and will have the Black/Yellow scheme out in 2011. If you need any other Mich shortlines let me know.

Chris

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes only three choices, Brass, Resin, or the old Tyco (it is much closer match then the Bachmann, with more roundness to the coupla).
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:

This is the one I was thinking of. I have two of them (acquired them at a train show for less :)
I assume they were painted and decaled already though? Do you know if the details come with the model? Checked out that link that Jon posted and a lot of the cabooses say that they contain detail parts or not. Nothing like the AA Caboose.
OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:
GrandTrunkFan wrote:On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some TSBY GP35 decals?
Are you looking for the blue style TSBY or the original black and yellow scheme? I specialize in Michigan short line decals and will have the Black/Yellow scheme out in 2011. If you need any other Mich shortlines let me know.

Chris
Thanks Chris, will send you a PM later with what Im looking for.
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Yes only three choices, Brass, Resin, or the old Tyco (it is much closer match then the Bachmann, with more roundness to the coupla).
Notced that on the Tyco. Thinking about hacking the coupula off and applying it to something else.
Nick

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

GrandTrunkFan wrote: I assume they were painted and decaled already though? Do you know if the details come with the model? Checked out that link that Jon posted and a lot of the cabooses say that they contain detail parts or not. Nothing like the AA Caboose.
The Wright Trak kit comes with decals (you have to provide your own paint) and comes with pretty much any external detail you can imagine. Resin kits don't come painted- that's up to you to do or to arrange to have done for you.

A good rule of thumb is that If the thought of assembling and painting an Intermountain or Red Caboose freight car kit sounds like too much work to you, then you might want to reconsider tackling a resin kit. This is an entirely different type of project than assembling a blue box Athearn freight car.

Resin kits are an acquired taste. They generally take a bit longer than doing a careful, patient job on an Intermountain kit or one from Red Caboose. For example, on a resin boxcar kit I usually figure on two or three evenings' work to get it to where it's ready to paint, with one of those evenings being devoted to just the brake detail on the underbody, since the brake detail is built up from individual components and fine wire. Be prepared to drill quite a few tiny holes to mount grabs and other wire parts. If I remember this kit correctly, the end railings, the ladders and the step treads are all provided as etchings that you have to cut free from a thin sheet of stainless steel.

To build most resin kits, you need a couple of jewelers' files, a couple of grades of sandpaper, a bunch of drills in the #61-80 range, ACC (super glue or cyanopoxy), a sharp hobby knife, a steel rule, tweezers and patience. I also find a short awl useful to press a starter dimple in place for drilling holes.

Resin kits can be a lot of work, but they are a way to get models that would either be expensive (in brass), or otherwise unavailable.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Chris
Do you have anything in the way of MIGN decals?

Thanks!

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Ben Higdon wrote:

Chris

Thanks!
i will be rerunning the old release of mich northern decals sometime in 2011 also. keep an eye out in the model railroad section for further details.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

Ben Higdon wrote:

Chris

Thanks!
my friend makes decals for the mign northern gp 9s
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Funny thing, I emailed Wright Track and got a prompt reply back. Theyre out of stock of AA cabooses. :( Guess Im gonna kitbash...
Nick

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Another caboose that has cought my interest is R-2701. Its a 30' all wood caboose that made it to the Michigan Interstate era, complete with the Ann Arbor Railroad System lettering. Can anyone give me a little more info on this guy, and what it was mostly used for? Is it still around bychance?
Nick

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

My Ann Arbor book says it was around at least until 1980, and that it was built in 1925. Judging from that picture I'd say it was only used for work trains or storage at that point, but I may be completely wrong.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

The picture I found was from 1989. I picked up D.C.Jesse Burkhardt's book about the Ann Arbor and its mentioned as rarely leaving Owosso. So I was just wondering what it was used for. Looking at models to make it, leaning twards a couple of model styles.

By the way, got my Wabash style caboose ordered from Wright Track! Cant wait to get it!
Nick

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

Nick,

Being a DT&I afficianado I can tell you all about this caboose.

AA had 2 of these cabooses - 2700 and 2701 (ex DT&I #69 and 98) that were acquired when the DT&I took 6 of the Wabash streamlined cupola cabooses from AA. Both were built in 1925 by Baltimore Car and Foundry (later to become Standard Steel Car Co.) during the time Henry Ford owned the DT&I. When AA got these cabooses they removed the cupola (don't know why). The 'R' preceding the number indicates they are in restricted service. Both of these AA cabs were sold to a private owner in 1981 and kept on the Owosso property until they were scrapped in 2000. There are several of the DT&I cabs still around today including one at the Henry Ford Museum.

I have scratchbuilt the DT&I version in 1/48, 1/29 and 1/8 scale (obsession....perhaps)

Here's a picture of my 1/29 scale model

I hope this helps,
Brian
Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

DTI973 wrote:Nick,

Being a DT&I afficianado I can tell you all about this caboose.

Here's a picture of my 1/29 scale model

I hope this helps,
Brian
Beautiful work Brian. Would love to see them in person someday.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Larry, here's the thread that shows him building one: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18702

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info Brian! :D And I actually know why the cupula was removed. I remember reading that they took them off to ease the stress on the wood car body. Also thanks for posting a picture of the DTI caboose, I now have an idea of what to look for. Excellent work, btw!
Nick