Painting the HESR GP9 Scheme

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Painting the HESR GP9 Scheme

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thought I'd share some insight on my lastest project on the bench. I am currently working on a GP9 Mother Slug Set, painted in the older scheme of HESR GP9's 100-105. Unfortunately, the set will not actually become the HESR but rather a terminal railroad of the Sand Hill and Western, the "Union Terminal Ry". Currently, I am in the process of painting the mother GP9, and ex-Lionel (Athearn) MILW GP9, as well as soon going to kitbash the slug to be a power pick-up only unit, with a modified Athearn drive.

Now, I do need some color help. I have chosen Testor's Flat white, but I am stuck on the other 2 the blue and the yellow. I feel the current yellow I have is too bright. Now, the blue... darker than C&O Blue? But anyone who has more ideas please feel free to share.

Also, I would like to get some "Wet Noodle" Lettering for decals if anyone has a good source.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Painting the HESR GP9 Scheme

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

what kind of wet noodle decal are you looking for? what is it to say?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:what kind of wet noodle decal are you looking for? what is it to say?

I am looking for that exact font. I would like it to say: Union Terminal Ry
Also a few random numbers. If you can Chris, a few small sheets. I'd pay the cost :D

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

C&O enchantment blue, and testors light yellow are what come to mind. I agree though that the blue may be a bit on the light side for the H&E color.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Aperently James has no idea what "Wet Noodle" means. Wet noodle is not a font, its not a lettering sceam. Its the nickname for the CN, logo specificly, but also for the CN systems other railroad logos also. It has to do with the letter's being connected all together, as in one continous paint line. Like some one took a noodle and layed it down on a plate to spell C & N and never cut it apart. The only "wet noodle" you can make for your Union Terminal Ry. is a UT connected at the top of the T like GT's noodle. Hence all you need is a CN decal and a GT decal and cut the C turn it on its side to make a U and then cut the T from the GT and put it up aginst the U. Then you have UT in noodle form. Your not going to find words that are spelled out in "wet noodle" form.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rdenman62 »

When I painted an n scale GP9 in HESR colors I used C&O Enchantment blue, Reefer white and for the yellow I used SF Catwhisker Yellow........turned out real nice

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Here is a quick mockup of your UTRY in chesapeake style font. If this meets your needs it can be done. i did both "Ry" and "Railway" for you to see, i think it looks better spelled out in that font.

As far as paint goes, any time i have used Enchantment blue it seems to come out more of a purple than a blue...i'm picky about blues. You could probably get away with a Santa Fe blue. I havent picked what colors i'll be using yet when the new decals sets come out.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

You have a PM.