Saginaw Sub Layout.

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Saginaw Sub Layout.

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Is this person a member here? If so who are you? I am very very intrested in your layout.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?3,2198242
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: Saginaw Sub Layout.

Unread post by Racer »

Me too! :shock:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsby_fan »

I don't know if he posts here, but from his 'handle', I'd guess he works for the Saginaw Township Fire Dept. and his last name might be Beeker (stfdbeeker). Just a guess. Nice layout, tho! :D

Al

stfdbeeker
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by stfdbeeker »

Hey first time poster longtime watcher... I am now on the board if you have any questions or want to see more photos just ask and I will be more than glad to share

brandon

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Let me know anything and everything. I know that is a tall order, but I want it all. I only know of one other person modeling this line, and he was doing it late 70's early 80's Chessie. I am intrested in case you did not know, as first I worked that line from 2000 until 2004 and hired out of Saginaw, also lived at MP 8 (I could look out my front bedroom window and see it) in Bridgeport from 1987 until I moved to Toledo (to work out of) in 2004, and second, if and when I ever get a dream layout, it will be Saginaw/Flint to Carleton, CSX 2005 (with a litle licence for ES44AC's and ES44DC's). Alread have a huge fleet of CSX/Lease units I am always working on, and made a fleet of LSRC ex SP cars for lumber, and.......oh I could go on and on and on. :D

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I'm with Matt on this one! The more info, the better please. :D
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

stfdbeeker
Railroadfan...fan

Well for now the layout is a sectional layout in a 11'x12' spare bedroom in my apartment. I built it to be sectional so when I purchace a house not only will the takedown be easy the placement in the grand scheme of things will be easy as well. I am modeling mostly the former PM/C&O/CSX Ludington Sub from Saginaw to Midland (with some freelance in there as well). I want the over all track work to as close to the general C&O feel that everything has in the area that way i can easily model any real location between Saginaw and well anywhere. I plan on modeling the line with the CTC Searchlights and code line but I will and have some more modern Safetran signals thrown in to bring it up to par. By modeling with the searchlights it can get me anything from 1950's to just about 2001 when the line was de-signalized and sold to the SBS. By adding the modern signals i plan on freelancing that the line through Midland was never severed and when I make the large layout (later) the line will go to ludington with interchange traffic with the TSBY(GLC) in Clare.

Modeled areas: (these are a definate)
Saginaw yard
Potter street Depot
The Grey iron /Bay City Spur
Saginaw river bridge (already heavily kitbashing the bridge from 4 walthers kits)
Mershon Diamond with the Rifkin spur and Peavy elevator spur
Interchange traffic with HESR/CMGN at Genesee yard
Mershon siding
Bay and Shattuck crossing (the house i first lived when i was born was on Northwest dr and Shattuck Rd grew up for a few years watching the last of the ferry boat traffic move although WAY too young to remember)
Mc Carty and Hemmeter rd railroad crossing (used to ride my bike there everyday durng summer to watch the local come back from Midland)
Tittabawassee and Lawndale crossing ( havent decided if i will do pre road improvment or post road improvement and the crossing down the street from my house where i would ride to watch the local go through)
Freeland and Freeland elevator and siding
Midland (with fictional coal traffic for Consumers Co-gen facility and ample chemical traffic and maybe some small TOFC traffic from the old C&O days left over)

Granted the actual line from Potter street depot to Dean yard is 20 miles.. I will cut actual lengths in half so it will be a modeled 10 miles

Btw gentlemen you were pretty close on the tracking down of my "handle" I used to live in Saginaw right at MP 6 on the ludington sub and watched and photographed the trains from 1998 till well just before I left to come to SC in 2006 regularly. I left just about 2 months after the takeover and sell off of the line and I used to be a firefighter for Saginaw Township Fire dept. But took a carreer position in South Carolina as a Firefighter/EMT in Myrtle Beach. Eventhough i live 1200 miles from home it was the line i grew up with and it will always be where i keep my loayty too.

hope this helps

Brandon

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thats just too fricken sweet. Do you have a track plan available?

stfdbeeker
Railroadfan...fan

I do and as soon as i get ahold of a scanner i will up load it for your viewing pleasure any other questions please ask and i will see if i can try to upload some more pictures tonight.

Brandon

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

i live out by tibawassee and midland rd just last year they rehabed the line to midland with new ties i saw a train a couple of weeks ago the lsrc 2003 must have been doing 40 or 45mph with 12 cars in tow
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Wow that is sweet. Bring back some good memories of that area. I went to High School at Valley Lutheran on McCarty class of 94'. Have a best friend that lived at Shattuck and Portas, on the corner. Used to bike to the mall all the time, and also down to Mershon and Peavey/Michigan Sugar/Zilwaukie all the time to try and catch a train. I rember seeing the snow plow on the rear of a freight heading west behind his house. Then fast foward 6 years, and then working the line to Midland. Plus all the industry around Saginaw. Wish we were still there.