GTW HO Scale Gondola Decals

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

GTW HO Scale Gondola Decals

Unread post by AARR »

I'm looking for a couple GTW HO Scale gondola decals. I'd like the lettering and GT squiggle. It's proving to be a little more difficult than I thought. Can anyone assist me?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GTW HO Scale Gondola Decals

Unread post by GTW Dude »

AARR wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:27 pm
I'm looking for a couple GTW HO Scale gondola decals. I'd like the lettering and GT squiggle. It's proving to be a little more difficult than I thought. Can anyone assist me?
Any photos of the gondola scheme you are looking for?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Geez, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those in the wild

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know if you're old enough to remember when Ford Woodhaven Stamping would have bunches of them at their scrap metal loading docks
Chip wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:34 am
Geez, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those in the wild

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

When did that stop? I moved to the area from Saint Claire Shores in 1993. I only have vague memories, I was 3 1/2 when we moved.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Probably mid to late 90's would be my guess. There would always be 10 or so staged around the scrap metal docks back in the day.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Not to get too off topic but being that I work in a modern Ford stamping facility, I can provide some insight as to why that service ended and will never return.

Modern stamping lines are much more efficient than they used to be even as recently as the mid 90s. Gone are the days when a giant coil is fed into a stamping press, it's all sheet blanks that are specifically dimensioned to provide as little scrap material as possible. The sub lines where they make sub-assemblies (think finished hoods or floor pans) for shipping to their final destination (these days in the case of Woodhaven it's either Flat Rock body shop or MAP ISA (my plant)). Those sub lines contribute zero scrap as all they do is weld parts together. I don't know how many press lines Woodhaven has but with the 4 we have at my plant it's enough for 1-2 trucks per day between the press lines and scrapped parts/bodies.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I found this website, maybe the decals you’re looking for are on it :)

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=GTW
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

After some research I am using a combination of decals from GTW Center Flow and Engine sets. Wish me luck :) .

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

One Grand Western Trunk car coming right up :P