New Project GTW GP9R

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New Project GTW GP40-2

Unread post by AARR »

DR wrote:GP9r!!!!! I've been wanting someone to do a model of this for years! :)
We have a DR sighting fellas :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Re: New Project GTW GP40-2

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

DR?!??!?!?!? Where!??!!? I DONT SEE HIM!!!!
Oh.....wait....HERE I AM!!!!!!

GP9r: Who said a pirate couldnt have a locomotive! :P
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Project GTW GP9R

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Welp, the vote is in. The GP9R is the next project up. Got the parts in the mail today that i've been waiting for. Should start building in the "shops" on Tuesday.

Chris

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:Welp, the vote is in. The GP9R is the next project up. Got the parts in the mail today that i've been waiting for. Should start building in the "shops" on Tuesday.

Chris
I think the challenge will vbe the undercarriage. It's part GP9/35/38. Above the frame it's essentially a GP9 p3 long hood and GP38 cab/short hood.

Looking forward to your model :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Funny this thread came up, as I just found mine I had been working on before we moved to Toledo, hummm six years in the making is that some kind of record? Suppried me as I had most of it done. It will probly be another six years before I get it done though.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Going to be a combination athearn/front range/canon and company unit. Before anyone has the chance to critique... this unit will have the wrong number and sized fans, improper louver number and configuration on the body and probably some other details will be amiss. The client ordering could not find correct pieces for me to assemble and i havent decided whether i'm going to sand everything down or not. just be forwarned :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:Going to be a combination athearn/front range/canon and company unit. Before anyone has the chance to critique... this unit will have the wrong number and sized fans, improper louver number and configuration on the body and probably some other details will be amiss. The client ordering could not find correct pieces for me to assemble and i havent decided whether i'm going to sand everything down or not. just be forwarned :)
You can only work with what the customer provides. But, I'm surprised because at least above the frame it would only take the GP38 cab & short hood and the GP9 p3 (which is currently in production or was not long ago) long hood.

Below the frame IMO represents the biggest challenge.

Still look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

I really dont know what you think is so hard about below the frame? I have spent many hours looking at photos before I started mine, and a (at the time) Proto 2000 GP18 body matched just fine, along with the underframe. Maybe a little work, I need to get it out and go over photos again. IIRC the GP9 PH3 and GP18 were esentualy the same body.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah, i have no plans to tinker with the under frame at all. Proto is nice, but i hate how they are factory assembled...terrible for taking apart and customizing. Note to maufacturers...stop gluing things together! thanks

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

I don't have a GP18 handy, how is the fuel tank/air tanks on the P2K? The GTW GP9R's had a larger fuel tank and the air tanks under the walkway, like later EMD's (I think they started on the GP20's). Perhaps using a GP20 frame would work? A stock GP7/9 and I think GP18 from EMD had the air tanks mounted under the frame, between the fuel tank and rear truck (assuming short hood is the front)

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

csxt4617 wrote:I don't have a GP18 handy, how is the fuel tank/air tanks on the P2K? The GTW GP9R's had a larger fuel tank and the air tanks under the walkway, like later EMD's (I think they started on the GP20's). Perhaps using a GP20 frame would work? A stock GP7/9 and I think GP18 from EMD had the air tanks mounted under the frame, between the fuel tank and rear truck (assuming short hood is the front)

You are right about the air tanks and fuel tank. Those will be left alone on this go around. Perhaps on my next go at it i'll go even more extreme with cutting things apart.

Here is where i am so far... i have trimmed off the old short hood and walkways and built the canon cab. They are not attached at this point but just set up for example. there are still holes where the walkways used to be that need to be patched with styrene. Project for another day.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Ya know you are right, but as you say that I realise why I did not think of what Don was talking about. I already did it to the model. :mrgreen:

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

updates today. paint finished. decals, weathering and final assembly after x-mas.

chris

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Did the GP9r's have 4 exhaust stacks rather than 2? I always thought it was 2 but I've seen a few pictures at odd angles where it looked like 4.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

I looked thru all my pics of them, and granted none were overhead views, they ones I had all looked like 2, unless the other 2 stacks were flush with the roofline.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

AARR wrote:Did the GP9r's have 4 exhaust stacks rather than 2? I always thought it was 2 but I've seen a few pictures at odd angles where it looked like 4.
All the GP9rs had two fans. I believe OaklandCountyCustoms said that the fans would be incorrect because his client did not get the proper parts.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GTWChris wrote:
AARR wrote:Did the GP9r's have 4 exhaust stacks rather than 2? I always thought it was 2 but I've seen a few pictures at odd angles where it looked like 4.
All the GP9rs had two fans. I believe OaklandCountyCustoms said that the fans would be incorrect because his client did not get the proper parts.
I was referring to the exhaust stacks between the fans

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah, from all the research i was ever able to do they only had 2 stacks. The SEMTA units had 4.

Chris

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwhogger »

When rebuilt at Battle Creek all the 4600's had there original long hoods with just 2 standard EMD exhaust stacks, with 48" fans, a couple have gone through the Woodcrest shops on the IC and they desecrated at least one that I know of with 4 exhaust stacks kinda like the MoPac did, don't know what it was with the MoPac and IC but they loved those 4 stacks?
All the GTW GP38-2's that were former MoPac units the original 5700's on the GTW had 4 stacks as well but when Battle Creek got them they plugged the 2 and went with stock exhaust manifolds.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the info GTWHogger.

Chris - How are you doing on this project?