New Project GTW GP9R

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

New Project GTW GP9R

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Working on another project for somebody. This one is a CN GP40-2W. I was going to take pictures along the way but was overcome by laziness. :) Here are some pics with final mask work and the "reveal."

Also inside a CV/GT 1776 loco (in progress).

Started with a white base coat, first i masked the zebra stripes then painted the ends red. After that dried i then masked off the red areas i wanted to keep. Lastly i sprayed black to finish it off.

tape taken off the wide cab.

All tape removed. I highly recommend taping stripes vs using the microscale equivalent. large decals never seem to sit right...especially around some of the bigger detail parts.

CV/GT 1776 minus a little (a lot) of detail. I dont think i'm going to finish this one though.
Last edited by OaklandCountyCustoms on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: New Project Unmasked

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Interesting use of a hockey puck.

Practice Safe CSX

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Looking good, and we're anxious to see the finished loco. Question - what is the order of painting on the CN? White first, then red, then black? Or some other order?

See ya.
Larry
http://www.youtube.com/user/ClinchValleySD40
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/sh ... /8745/sl/c

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:Interesting use of a hockey puck.

Practice Safe CSX
Haha, in an effort to not get my tripod out i needed to prop the loco to camera height. the puck makes a good masking tape collector, comes off easily.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Old Hogger wrote:Looking good, and we're anxious to see the finished loco. Question - what is the order of painting on the CN? White first, then red, then black? Or some other order?

See ya.
Larry
http://www.youtube.com/user/ClinchValleySD40
You got it. i'm not one to always follow the lighter to darker paint method, but in the case of CN and what needs to be masked, it just happens to be easier to follow that order. Takes more paint for some lighter colors to cover black accurately which can build up a thick layer of paint which can cause a visable difference in layers between colors.
The stripes are probably one of the more tome consuming things to do, but i do love that paint scheme in real life.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The CN orange red is a tough match up. What did you use?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

It is a tough match...so I stopped matching. In the pic is just plain caboose red. It works for me. I once had somebody tell me that most of the prototypes don't look the same anyway, so the models being different shades is suiting. However, when/if you weather it the red takes on more of a dirty orange look. Not certain yet if this one will be weathered or not.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Project Unmasked CN GP40-2W

Ok, after taking a little break for the holiday i hit the work bench pretty hard today and finally got this unit finished up...well, as finished as this projects is going to get on my end. Soon this shell will be reunited with the owners chasis and hopefully the rest of the handrails will be put back on.

Front view. I added some CN style ditch lights with some MVP lenses. Same lenses used in the nose lights as well.

other side of the shell. forgot to mention i added the sun shades as well.

This unit was weathered with Grimy Black from polyscale. I also gave this unit a brass 3 chime horn on the body roof towards the rear.

Last view side profile.

After working on this unit for a couple days i wish i could keep it for myself...may just have to make another one!
Up next on the project list is a GTW GP9r. Plans include canon and co cab with a front range body and chasis. fun fun!

Chris

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New Project CN GP40-2W

Unread post by AARR »

I like the weathering job. It tones down the red a little and blends everything together nicely.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Project CN GP40-2W

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Beautiful job, looks great. It would look great running on the Clinch Valley.

See ya.
Larry

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Project GTW GP40-2

Next on the chopping block (no pun intended) is a GP40-2 in GTW scheme. This unit is just about done, still need to paint the pilots, plow, walkways, etc black and give the sills a white coat. Going to be unit 6411 i do believe.

This was a factory undec unit from Atlas and the FIRST experience i've had with an atlas product being completely glued together! what on earth is the point of glueing/melting an undec unit? they know somebody needs to take it apart to paint it... what is the world coming to!

Chris

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice paint job...but it's a GP40 you've painted so you may want to consider numbering it in the 6400-6405 series.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

you are correct. My client wants it with the ex- DT&I number 611. "customer is always right." That is one of the few details i'm willing to ignore so to speak, the window on body. Good eye though for sure on that terribly image quality!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:you are correct. My client wants it with the ex- DT&I number 611. "customer is always right." That is one of the few details i'm willing to ignore so to speak, the window on body. Good eye though for sure on that terribly image quality!
Oh cyes don't I know that, "The customer is always right"...that's rule number 1. Rule number 2 is if the customer is wrong refer to rule #1 :)

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

OK, finally finished this unit up after taking a couple days to procrastinate on painting the handrails... my least favorite part of modeling...i lie... 1st least. MAKING handrails takes the top spot. Anywho... alas, it is done, weathered, and put back into its box for return to shipper. Only request for this unit that it be ex-411 even tho the atlas model is a GP40 as previously noted. Thought about putting the bell patch in the nose, but that was too much for me to worry about considering it wasnt asked for. In exchange, i threw in a set of all weather windows from detail associates. Made the "glass" out of window glue... i've made them before on structures but never cab windows. learned a secret on accident. the glue tends to collect in the center of the window since its floating, when it dries this is evident. I accidentally dropped a window while working over wax paper and ofcourse it landed face down "ruining" my work. Come to find, it didnt ruin the window but moreso, the wax paper collected the excess glue and now the windows turned out uniform... perfect mistake! Here are some pics.

Ok everyone... your turn to pick... what should i do next?

a. Kalso MLW420 BC Rail
b. Kalso MLW420 LSRC (any)
c. GTW GP9r

I'm also working on a special project (secret) for the Troy train show...stay tuned.

Chris

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:Ok everyone... your turn to pick... what should i do next?

a. Kalso MLW420 BC Rail
b. Kalso MLW420 LSRC (any)
c. GTW GP9r

I'm also working on a special project (secret) for the Troy train show...stay tuned.

Chris
Nicely done Chris!

I vote for b. or c.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks! I've had these Kaslo kits for years... intimidated to start one...lots of parts, few directions...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:Thanks! I've had these Kaslo kits for years... intimidated to start one...lots of parts, few directions...
The final tally is in and the b's or c's have won. Looking forward to your project Chris :lol:

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

guess i could always work on multiple? I have 3 shells dedicated for LSRC and one for BC Rail... so odds are i'll probably do them all at once since they are the same shell...so i dont forget how to build them!

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

GP9r!!!!! I've been wanting someone to do a model of this for years! :)
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.