CN Police

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

CN Police

Unread post by GLC 392 »

got this from my trains Mag e-mail,

"HOMEWOOD, Ill. - CN announced this week that it would enforce a strict zero-tolerance policy toward trespassers on railroad property. CN said its police officers will be out in full force this week, conducting annual safety blitz operations at highway/railroad crossings in about 150 locations across the United States and Canada.

According to CN, 486 deaths resulted from trespassing last year in the United States. Meanwhile, fatalities attributed to grade-crossing collisions for 2007 were down to 339; significantly lower than the average of 393 for the previous 10 years, which reflects a steady improvement in safety at grade crossings.

CN Police Chief Bobby Walker said, "This is a matter of life and death. When people trespass on railroad property, they take risks that can result in serious injuries and fatalities. CN Police are taking action. Anyone found trespassing on railroad property may be prosecuted. Over the years, we've seen it all. Trespassers are putting their lives on our line. Now, we have to stop it. It's Zero Tolerance for trespassers."

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I saw CN cops write two people tickets for trespassing in Monroe today.

cn435
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cn435 »

That reminds me of an incident a few years ago. It wasn't in Michigan but rather in nearby Chatham, Ontario.

CN had just taken over CSX operations there and a CN brakeman yelled over to me that I had better stay away from the yard perimeter (I was on a public street) or the police would be arriving shortly.

While most CN workers are okay with railfans there seem to be a few who are aren't.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

cn435 wrote:That reminds me of an incident a few years ago. It wasn't in Michigan but rather in nearby Chatham, Ontario.

CN had just taken over CSX operations there and a CN brakeman yelled over to me that I had better stay away from the yard perimeter (I was on a public street) or the police would be arriving shortly.

While most CN workers are okay with railfans there seem to be a few who are aren't.
I mean... Why do they get so upset? I mean, if someone was actually screwing around on property, it really doesn't matter. I would rather pay more attention to the job at hand then spend it raising my blood pressure, yelling at people and not paying attention. If I ever make it into a railroad, you can guarantee I won't be yelling at you unless your doing something really supid.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

There are always people who like to create problems whether it's railroad workers,rr police,or people in other industries.

Doug

cn435
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cn435 »

Morale around CN was pretty bad at the time, I don't think it is much better now. Cost cutting CEO Hunter Harrison is not very popular.

Most of the guys are pretty nice, still get a wave, but I guess there are those who hate their jobs and cannot understand why anyone would want to take pictures of their railroad.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

cn435 wrote:Morale around CN was pretty bad at the time, I don't think it is much better now. Cost cutting CEO Hunter Harrison is not very popular.

Most of the guys are pretty nice, still get a wave, but I guess there are those who hate their jobs and cannot understand why anyone would want to take pictures of their railroad.
I just saw a CN loco with "Hunter is a C***" placed on there by wiping off the dirt with a rag. Yeah, morale is not good from what I've heard myself.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

I think CN is serious about this, they just are wrapping up putting a 7 foot high fence around the entire yard at Homewood. It is as simple as this, from what I understood from that announcement, it sounded like CN was only going to be strict to trespassers. I say if you don't trespass, you shouldn't have to worry about this. BNSF did the same thing last year. We will have to hope that CN doesn't start using this as a excuse to attempt running people off public property.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

mikerm19 wrote:
cn435 wrote:That reminds me of an incident a few years ago. It wasn't in Michigan but rather in nearby Chatham, Ontario.

I mean... Why do they get so upset? I mean, if someone was actually screwing around on property, it really doesn't matter. I would rather pay more attention to the job at hand then spend it raising my blood pressure, yelling at people and not paying attention. If I ever make it into a railroad, you can guarantee I won't be yelling at you unless your doing something really supid.
The best way to put it is trainmen dont know if your railfaning(unless you have a camera, ect) or going to steal somthing from the property (scrap metals high right now), try to derail the train, or jump infront of the thing trying to kill yourself, and causing other damage. Best way to put it Mike, look at the picture in the Spring Lake Building with the tieplate spiked over the railhead. The people who put it there got upset with the C&M for putting old ties along the right-of-way because it blocked there 4-wheeler trail, so they tryed to derail the train. People do stupid stuff, so the CN said fine, if you dont work for the railroad you dont belong there, really you dont. Surprisingly alot of trainmen arnt railfans and it's just a job to them, so when the company says report all tresspassers a guy snapping pics of the train or writing down engine numbers your up to no good. Go figure