Romulus diamond closed to railfans

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Romulus diamond closed to railfans

Unread post by David Collins »

Me and my friends this weekend spent a day in Romulus, and it was about 10 AM (we had been there since 5 AM) when CP police showed up saying we were trespassing (we were far back). I've NEVER had an issue there until that day. The officer told us the area around the diamond was now permanently off limits. He didn't ticket us or anything but gave us a warning.

Now I didn't want to sound like a smartass and question him because he's CP police and they don't own the line, but it seemed kinda fishy that it was CP telling us this, and not CSX or NS. But the diamond I guess in Romulus is off limits for now on, and he said anyone there for now on will be ticketed.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Romulus diamond closed to railfans

Unread post by ~Z~ »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:07 pm
(we were far back).
Far back, but still on RR property? Then yeah, still trespassing. Attached is the property they own on the SE quadrant. Also own the SW quadrant. NE corner might be mostly MDOT property though, but hard to access. I guess just don't be surprised when you are on RR property and are asked to leave, no matter what authority it is that's telling you that.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-10 190918.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:13 pm
Far back, but still on RR property? Then yeah, still trespassing. Attached is the property they own on the SE quadrant. Also own the SW quadrant. NE corner might be mostly MDOT property though, but hard to access. I guess just don't be surprised when you are on RR property and are asked to leave, no matter what authority it is that's telling you that.
I've never had problems though, In my 10+ years of railfanning there, until that day, I've had maybe two cops show up and just ask what I was doing, not actually kick me out.
Last edited by David Collins on Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I remember when CP switched from the CSX onto the NS Ex Wabash and NS police were out and about reminding fans at Romulus that being anywhere east of the crossing was trespassing. That’s why it’s always safe to just hang out at the Shook road crossing, or south of the diamond at Goddard or Bibbins. Plus, there you get the benefit of signals to see and add to your photos/video.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

Once upon a time, long ago and far away, you could drive right up to the Romulus diamond, and if you behaved, there were never any issues - at all. I can remember being visited on numerous occasions there by both CSX and NS (actually Chessie and N&W) railroad dicks and not once was told to leave - just stay off the tracks and above all stay safe. There were times when 611 and 1218 were running when the place would be packed to the gunwales, and the NS police were waving people into safe parking spaces on their property. Those days shall never return, with 9/11 being the turning point compounded in following years by imbecilic foamers who have left much destruction in their wake for law abiding railfans. Compared to the years when it was a favorite haunt of mine and others, it's painfully boring now anyway. Tempus Fugit...

Man o' War

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Dude it's been closed since before 2021.... plus you shouldn't be getting that close to an interlocking. Plus I've had the same issue with that same CP guy way back in April of 2021. Guy told me he would write me a ticket if I even get near the tracks. Not really news to me. Because of that I don't really go to Romulus that much anymore. Only if I am really really bored and the weather is appropriate out. Yeah I'll stick to the CN in Durand and Lansing screw Romulus. Plus rail traffic through Romulus kinda sucks now due to recessions, PSR and etc. If you want CSX and NS just go to Ohio or indiana. If I choose to go to Romulus the cop told me to stay on the grass and sidewalk and that's what I've done since. I live 15-20 minutes from Romulus and I haven't been there since November. Really losing interest with railroading in Michigan tbh.

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

Can you still park at the bank?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Delray wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:58 pm
Can you still park at the bank?
Yes. Generally I sit over by Bibbins and then look at the signals for the CSX. If I hear something on the scanner on NS I’ll go to the bank. But of the two the CSX is much spottier for scanner reception. I’ve yet to see the CP cop anywhere in person. I saw an NS cop about 15 years ago. If you’re one of the folks sitting by the signal bridge you are part of the problem. I’ve seen folks walking on the diamond and north up the CSX to check the southbound signals and all sorts of other exciting things they shouldn’t be doing. As for traffic… it’s still the busiest junction in the immediate area outside of Delray. 20-30 moves a day.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:07 pm
Now I didn't want to sound like a smartass and question him because he's CP police and they don't own the line, but it seemed kinda fishy that it was CP telling us this,
While railroad police generally focus their activities to their employers property they are generally bonefide police with the power of arrest etc. CP police have an office in Detroit and have participated in Rail Safety Week in Michigan.