HESR Current Train Symbols

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

HESR Current Train Symbols

Unread post by AARR »

Wiki shows the following train symbols for HESR:
Symbol Origin/Base Destination/Turn Location Frequency Notes
701 Durand Bay City Mon-Fri
702 Bay City Durand Mon-Fri
703 Bay City Saginaw/Midland Mon-Fri Nights Switches Genesee Yard in Saginaw before going to Midland
704 Midland Bay City Mon-Fri Nights
740 Bay City Saginaw Mon-Fri Works all customers between Bay City and Saginaw
767 Durand Durand Mon-Fri Durand Yard job and Owosso local
770 Bay City Durand Varies Grain extras as needed
800 Vassar Saginaw Mon-Sat Interchanges with LSRC in Saginaw. Occasionally works Gavilon in Zilwaukee.
805 Varies Saginaw Varies Grain extra
810 Vassar Vassar As needed Works various industries in Reese, Caro, and other locations
My question is about 703 and 704. Do they go down to Saginaw before going to Midland? If yes, why would they do that rather than just put the Saginaw cars on either 702 or 740?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: HESR Current Train Symbols

Unread post by SD80MAC »

My guess is 701/702 doesn't have enough time to stop and work Genesee most days anymore. Track speeds make it tough to do a Bay City-Durand round trip in 12 hours as it is, with minimal stops.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Many days 701 dies on the hours of service law before or when it reached Genesse yard. 703 recrews it there and makes the set out then before heading to Bay City and onto midland. I've never seen 703 run to saginaw and then go to midland as the schedual shows so I think thats a mistake.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

patrick wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:55 am
Many days 701 dies on the hours of service law before or when it reached Genesse yard. 703 recrews it there and makes the set out then before heading to Bay City and onto midland. I've never seen 703 run to saginaw and then go to midland as the schedual shows so I think thats a mistake.
This video might be an example of what Patrick is pointing out (video by Michael Caden)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKeOVTxgWk

This train is northbound out of Saginaw heading toward Bay City. Normally I would have guessed it 701 or 740 but Michael lists it as 703. So it's possible that the 703 crew dog-catched 701 in Saginaw and will take it all the way to Midland with a stop in Bay City.

Another possibility is the video is mislabeled and it is actually 740.

Any thoughts?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...