CN Covered Hoppers with Horizontal Ribs

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

CN Covered Hoppers with Horizontal Ribs

Unread post by AARR »

These were in Pontiac Yard several weeks ago. I haven't seen this style of covered hopper before with the horizontal ribs. They look like they might be used in fertilizer service.

Attachments
IMG_3990.jpg
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: CN Covered Hoppers with Horizontal Ribs

Unread post by DaveO »

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:21 pm
These were in Pontiac Yard several weeks ago. I haven't seen this style of covered hopper before with the horizontal ribs. They look like they might be used in fertilizer service.

Don,

These are CN’s new grain car. They are replacing the old cylinder-shaped ones that have dominated the grainscape for so long up north.

“ After the Canadian government raised questions about fleet upgrading and maintenance costs several times over the years, the government reached agreement with CN and CP in 2007 to transfer operation, refurbishment, and maintenance of the fleet to the two railways. Over the next seven years, thousands of the cars were retired, returned to their leaser, or sold to prairie shortlines that handled grain and other bulk commodities. This left roughly 3,100 of the former Wheat Board hoppers under CN and CP ownership; the railways overhauled these cars to extend their lifespan.

Passage of the Transportation Modernization Act in 2018 paved the way for CN and CP to explore the purchase of new cars. Shortly after its passage, CP announced it would receive 5,900 new hopper cars over four years to replace its aging fleet. CN followed suit in 2020 with an order for 1,500 new hoppers, followed by an order for 1,000 more in 2021. These cars, being built by National Steel Car and Trinity Rail, sealed the fate of the Wheat Board hoppers, as the new cars are lighter, smaller (3 feet shorter) and can hold 15% more grain.” - Eric Gagnon

https://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.com/ ... s.html?m=1

More links here:

http://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.com/2 ... n.html?m=1

https://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.com/ ... r.html?m=1

https://churcher.crcml.org/circle/Gover ... ppers.html

TL;DR - the cars are reaching the end of their life cycle. CP and CN are buying new grain cars by the thousands.

On a side note, we still see older IC, GTW, WC cars on some of these grain trains CN has run in the past. The WB M301s typically feature a lot of grain cars going back west as well, and they are usually old CN-railroad emblem cars.

We are going to miss these cars and their variety when they are gone. And that date’s coming sooner than we are willing to admit.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the information LRF.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:10 pm
These are CN’s new grain car. They are replacing the old cylinder-shaped ones that have dominated the grainscape for so long up north.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...