HESR in Owosso

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

HESR in Owosso

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was wondering if anybody knew how often the HESR runs to Owosso, and if there's a usual time of day they make the run? Also, looking on Google Maps, there are three possible customers, labeled as ADS, Georgia-Pacific, and Woodard. ADS has lots of covered hoppers on it's spur, but can't tell with G-P and Woodard as their spurs go into their buildings. Are all three still the only customers on the line? I'm not sure when Google Maps was last updated.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: HESR in Owosso

Unread post by AARR »

They run about 3x per week to Owosso. I am not sure what time of day they currently run.

G-P gets switched 3x per week with usually 3-4 cars per switch.

ADS is switched every other week or so. Even though they have a bunch of cars on their spur they seem to use 1-2 cars per week.

Woodard, sadly, has not used their new spur much after relocating from downtown Owosso where they were switched once a week or so. I heard that the switch at the new plant has been removed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

atrainguy60 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:38 am
I was wondering if anybody knew how often the HESR runs to Owosso, and if there's a usual time of day they make the run? Also, looking on Google Maps, there are three possible customers, labeled as ADS, Georgia-Pacific, and Woodard. ADS has lots of covered hoppers on it's spur, but can't tell with G-P and Woodard as their spurs go into their buildings. Are all three still the only customers on the line? I'm not sure when Google Maps was last updated.
Check out the Huron & Eastern Wiki page on this site. I try to keep the customer list updated...
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Customers

Anyone know why HESR keeps the branch to Owosso? It makes more sense (to me anyway) to just sell it off to GLC...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:40 pm
atrainguy60 wrote:
Check out the Huron & Eastern Wiki page on this site. I try to keep the customer list updated...
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Customers

Anyone know why HESR keeps the branch to Owosso? It makes more sense (to me anyway) to just sell it off to GLC...
They also own San Yard as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought GLC (or TSBY) bought San Yard as well as original Ann Arbor track through Owosso from HESR (or CMGN)? I would have to go through a lot of AARRT&HA news letters to find the date they acquired it and what exactly it was they purchased.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:04 pm
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:19 pm
I thought GLC (or TSBY) bought San Yard as well as original Ann Arbor track through Owosso from HESR (or CMGN)? I would have to go through a lot of AARRT&HA news letters to find the date they acquired it and what exactly it was they purchased.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:04 pm
I was told by someone at GLC that HESR owns the yard. GLC has the main and two other tracks. Storage and sorting capacity is a MAJOR linchpin in GLC's operations which is why you see them running so many shuttle type trains. The other major linchpin being power.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

So your source is someone at GLC and my source is what my old man brain thinks I read many years ago. Any reasonable person would side with me…..said no person ever :lol:
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:05 am
I was told by someone at GLC that HESR owns the yard. GLC has the main and two other tracks. Storage and sorting capacity is a MAJOR linchpin in GLC's operations which is why you see them running so many shuttle type trains. The other major linchpin being power.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Might have something to do with GTW actually purchasing Owosso to Ashley from the Ann Arbor in the late 70s or early 80s, IIRC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am
So your source is someone at GLC and my source is what my old man brain thinks I read many years ago. Any reasonable person would side with me…..said no person ever :lol:
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:05 am
yeah IDK. Maybe you can dig up some maps or something? Anyway, where they are transloading those pipes is on the main so they have to transload them when no other train needs to get by. If they end up getting the potash mine biz, you can just see the clog in the tracks.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Thanks guys for the info!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

From the STB https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /30946.pdf
San Yard belongs to CMGN, now HESR.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

atrainguy60 wrote:
I often see them at midnight just before or after most of the time, The shipping and receiving clerks at GP told me it's in the contract for a midnight switch that's what they told me and sometimes i see them around 2100 hours to so it kinda fluctuates.