Railroad reading

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad reading

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I've been enjoying a series of books by a retired railroader named Charles H. Geletzke.
The title I'm reading now is called "with the slack, that will do, and other railroad stories"
These are basically a collection of stories told by him and other railroaders he worked with over the years about life working on the railroad. I find the book particularly interesting as he worked mostly for the GTW out of Detroit. So the railroad and the locations are familiar adding to the interest for me.

I just thought I would mention it here because I've been enjoying the books and thought others on this site might as well. The other two titles I read are:
"So you think you would like to Railroad, and other railroad stories"
and
"when deadhead counted as rest, and other railroad stories"
I ordered mine on amazon and I think he may have other books as well.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Railroad reading

Unread post by AARR »

I second KVERBERK's recommendation of Charles H. Geletzke books
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railroad reading

Unread post by GTW Dude »

He definitely has stories to tell I’ll say that. I wish I could still see his occasional posts on the Michigan Railfans Facebook page but around November of last year it went private and I don’t really want to sign up for a Facebook for personal reasons. A few months back while cleaning out Grandpas office I came across an orange book that looked somewhat faded that said the words “Flat Rock Operations” and just below it said “Charles Geletzke Jr” iirc. He still has the book and was a long time Bluewater NRHS Member since the early 80’s so more than likely they both had an encounter at some point. If Charles Geletzke is somewhere on this website I’d just like to let him know that one of his books is in good hands.