ditchlights

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ditchlights

Unread post by David Collins »

So I’m confused about something, I was going thru photos on my Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and found this curiosity from a trip in December at Millbury, Ohio (CP281). NS 20E came by with two AC44C6M’s but I noticed the ditchlights on the front were not on or flashing. However the ones on the Long hood end were flashing. Which is really confusing. That begs the question, does the engineer have control of both front and rear ditchlights? I thought there was only one switch for ditchlights which came on depending on the reverser direction…
Last edited by David Collins on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Repost about ditchlights

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes, most locomotives have separate switches for the front and rear headlights and ditchlights. I have only ever seen the ditch lights tied to the reverser direction on older ex Conrail locomotives and some newer rebuilds.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Repost about ditchlights

Unread post by David Collins »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Yes, most locomotives have separate switches for the front and rear headlights and ditchlights. I have only ever seen the ditch lights tied to the reverser direction on older ex Conrail locomotives and some newer rebuilds.
Can some of the newer rebuilds you’re talking about be the AC44C6M’s?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: ditchlights

Unread post by Ypsi »

On NS I have seen engineers switch the ditch
lights to the rear during meets. I believe they are tied to the horn and time out, so after/ before going through a crossing you can switch to the rear as to not blind opposing crews.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown