Small door on the front of an engine

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

Small door on the front of an engine

Unread post by Kwantumnaut »

So today while watching a train waiting to move there was one point where one of the crew members climbed up and opened a door on the very front of the engine, then stepped inside for a few moments. This is the first time I've seen this so I'm just curious what is inside the door is all.

I read on Google that most engines (depending on the year/model) have a small bathroom in the front hood area, so is that likely all it was?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Small door on the front of an engine

Unread post by DaveO »

There is a luxurious restroom inside the hood but it also provides access into the cab from the front.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That's the front door, how one gets into the cab. When you go inside that door, there are a few steps leading up into the main area of the cab. There's also a back door on the engineer's side of the cab. And yes, the bathroom is located in the nose immediately to the right of the front door.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 am
There is a luxurious restroom inside the hood but it also provides access into the cab from the front.
Here is a picture of which DAveO speaks
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...