Question about observing/filming passing freight trains

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

Question about observing/filming passing freight trains

Unread post by Kwantumnaut »

Hello! New member to the site here, and fairly new to railfanning.

First I want to say I hope this is the correct section for this topic, but I'm just wondering what are some unspoken rules and things that go without saying that one should know, when just simply watching, but also when/if you want to film a passing train? (Of course other than like not standing 2 ft. away from the track)

And also, when it comes to recording, does the driver inside the cab of a passing freight train mind or have any problem with someone clearly holding their phone up to film the passing train, or is it not a problem? Thank you!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Question about observing/filming passing freight trains

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Generally speaking, if you are on public property, you can essentially do whatever you want that is otherwise legal. Most crews don't care if you film them, and those that don't like it don't really have any say in the matter if you're on public property. It is widely accepted that it is totally fine to do.

A lot of access to the tracks obviously comes at grade crossings, where public highway authorities have easements across the railroad's owned right of way, which is typically 100 feet wide. Width of roadway easements varies, but is usually 40-100 feet depending on where it is. Basically as long as you're on the shoulder of the road you should be fine even in the railroad right of way, but be careful when trains are around to not be too close. Standing behind the roadway's stop line is always a good idea. Myself and others routinely setup cameras on tripods closer than that, but stand back at train time.

So long story short stand a good distance back, 15-20' from the track minimum and keep on public land and you'll be just fine. A friendly wave to the crew can also put nerves at ease.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 am
Generally speaking, if you are on public property, you can essentially do whatever you want that is otherwise legal. Most crews don't care if you film them, and those that don't like it don't really have any say in the matter if you're on public property. It is widely accepted that it is totally fine to do.

A lot of access to the tracks obviously comes at grade crossings, where public highway authorities have easements across the railroad's owned right of way, which is typically 100 feet wide. Width of roadway easements varies, but is usually 40-100 feet depending on where it is. Basically as long as you're on the shoulder of the road you should be fine even in the railroad right of way, but be careful when trains are around to not be too close. Standing behind the roadway's stop line is always a good idea. Myself and others routinely setup cameras on tripods closer than that, but stand back at train time.

So long story short stand a good distance back, 15-20' from the track minimum and keep on public land and you'll be just fine. A friendly wave to the crew can also put nerves at ease.
I don't see a post Thank button or anything so just wanted to make sure to say thank you for the great informative post!

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Kwantumnaut wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Hello! New member to the site here, and fairly new to railfanning.

First I want to say I hope this is the correct section for this topic, but I'm just wondering what are some unspoken rules and things that go without saying that one should know, when just simply watching, but also when/if you want to film a passing train? (Of course other than like not standing 2 ft. away from the track)

And also, when it comes to recording, does the driver inside the cab of a passing freight train mind or have any problem with someone clearly holding their phone up to film the passing train, or is it not a problem? Thank you!
Some rules I try to follow (Some have been mentioned here already)
1. Stay on public property
2. Don't directly photograph the crew, Focus on the train.
3. Don't stand too close to the tracks
4. Be friendly (Wave)

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Don't make any movement that would could resemble you're throwing something. When I wave I don't raise my hand above the shoulder for that reason.

Don't forget that things can and do come flying off of passing trains. At Durand, I witnessed metal strapping flapping off the side of a center beam by about 5 feet.
There was always a collection of brake shoes that came off after banging over the now replaced traditional diamond. Didn't get to witness the box car door that flew off there.

MrAnderson
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MrAnderson »

And there's the very slight possibility of a derailment.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MrAnderson wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:25 pm
This is one of the risks that is so infinitesimally small, that I honestly do not worry about it at all.

If that should happen, well then it must be the God calling me home!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Saturnalia wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 pm
MrAnderson wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:25 pm
This is one of the risks that is so infinitesimally small, that I honestly do not worry about it at all.

If that should happen, well then it must be the God calling me home!
It's a small risk 100% and odds are a car isn't gonna fall over if a train does derail, But I recommend thinking to yourself, What happens if A car does fall over? If you are too close... well... :cry:
I try and stay far enough away where if a normal-sized boxcar falls, it would not crush me. however, this isn't always possible. Plus some of the best train photos/videos are from a distance. No shame in a few yards :D

Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

I'm definitely no professional photographer, but what do you guys think of these 2 videos I took recently?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting the videos
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Kwantumnaut
Railroadfan...fan

No problem hope you liked them 😀