Finger Lakes Rail Road

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Finger Lakes Rail Road

Unread post by afleetcommand »

I didn't catch this...WISH I did, I've tried. Krista Decker has a bunch of the smaller rail roads from this part of the world...

I think the New York Central like paint job on these are pretty cool. And it looks like they have moved into the EMD era :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axHHfxVnoI

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Finger Lakes Rail Road

And another from Krista Decker of Finger lakes Rail Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0SplAPjvzk

More:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2zMdvaqA4

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting afleet. IMHO it'd be nice if the videor was back another 5-10'. They could still capture the sights and sounds plus it would be easier to see the entire car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Pan shots from 15 feet out? Keep the camera in one direction or the other.
But to go from oncoming to outgoing to oncoming? Kind of dizzy after that.

Besides the Finger Lakes and WLE, are there any other railroads out there where the owner/railfan is using a heritage type scheme?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am
Besides the Finger Lakes and WLE, are there any other railroads out there where the owner/railfan is using a heritage type scheme?
WATCO has a GP38 painted in it's original AA scheme
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am
Pan shots from 15 feet out? Keep the camera in one direction or the other.
But to go from oncoming to outgoing to oncoming? Kind of dizzy after that.

Several: Rock Island, Iowa Interstate, Reading & Northern, Louisville & Indiana, Cimarron Valley, Delaware Lackawanna, and the St. Croix Valley are a few I can think of off the top of my head that either have heritage painted units or use a paint scheme very similar to the railroad that once owned their respective lines.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:23 am
Several: Rock Island
The new Rock rocks! GP38dc

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The Ann Arbor should have popped into the old mind right away. It didn't :(
And now thinking locally Michigan wise, the Adrian and Blissfield qualifies.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:06 pm
The Ann Arbor should have popped into the old mind right away. It didn't :( . And now thinking locally Michigan wise, the Adrian and Blissfield qualifies.
Remember this one :lol:

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Of course I like seeing old EMD power almost as much as Alco's ; And for what ever reason many of the smaller short lines went that direction. Is it because the old two two stroker's are still supported? Or like detriot diesel motors in other applications they simply last longer than their 4 stroke counter parts. Here the local short line has sd40-2's, sd60' etc. Love the sound.

Are there any car body Alco's like the PA's still in service?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Older EMDs are still around because they were built well, reliable and relatively easy to maintain. Parts are also easy to get. Older GEs are generally not as reliable and just did not last in service as long as their EMD bretheren. GEs seem to last 20-30 years while many EMDs are approaching their 50 and 60th birthdays still in service for Class Is. Alcos require more attention but if they receive proper maintenance they are just as reliable as an EMD if not more so. But their care is a specialized practice, and only 3 shortline groups (Genesee Valley Transportation, Apache Railway and the WNYP family of railroads) continue to roster fleets of Alcos of any appreciable size.

There are only 4 Alco PAs in existance. 2 are in Mexico, one is being restored as an operational Nickel Plate unit in Oregon, and the fourth is being restored to its original ATSF appearance in Texas. Some tourist railroads and museums have operable FAs.

ImageNKP PA-1 #190 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/