Exploding GEVO's - recall issue

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MDH
rp.net addict

Exploding GEVO's - recall issue

Unread post by MDH »

Sorry if this is on here somewhere and I missed it, but I just noticed this interesting thread:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10325

The relevant information apparently quoted from a BNSF safety briefing:
"SafetyBriefing
July 11, 2009 GE Evolution Series Turbochargers SB-2009-03G

On another Class 1 railroad there have been two recent turbocharger failures on
General Electric Evolution Series locomotives which resulted in portions of the
turbine rotating assembly penetrating the turbocharger case and exiting the
locomotive carbody. The root cause analysis into the failures is still in process
but preliminary investigation has revealed that the failures that have occurred
are due to catastrophic failure of turbocharger shafts which were produced by
one of two of GE’s suppliers for that part.

The suspect turbocharger shafts affect new Evolution Series locomotives
produced from January 2007 to March 2009 as well as any Evolution locomotive
which has had a turbocharger replaced due to failure or engine change during
the same time period.

Over the next several days the specific locomotives containing suspect parts
will be identified and those locomotives will be removed from service pending
turbocharger replacement. Until such time ALL EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT
ACCESS EXTERNAL WALKWAYS OR BE IN THE PROXIMITY TO THE LONG
HOOD AREA OF ANY GE EVOLUTION SERIES LOCOMOTIVE (BNSF 5718-7799)
WHICH IS OPERATING OR BEING LOAD TESTED UNDER POWER IN NOTCH 4
OR ABOVE.

Avoid these areas

REMEMBER -- All BNSF employees are empowered to work safely. If
you think a condition is unsafe, protect it, report it, assist in correcting
it, or use your expertise to provide a better and safer way.
BNSF Safety Vision "

Be careful watching those GEVO's go by!
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

leo28150
Deactivated

Re: Exploding GEVO's - recall issue

Unread post by leo28150 »

NS and CN pretty much had the same bulletin out, but theirs said not to walk by on the walkway when the engine was in notch 1 or higher.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Sounds like each railroad is 'passing the buck'. CSX said BNSF and CN had the problem. BNSF says "another Class I". I'm sure the CN and NS said "Some other Class I."

Wonder who it actually happened to?

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Bring back the old reliable SD70 and 75's! The modern version of the SD40-2 :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Don Simon wrote:Bring back the old reliable SD70 and 75's! The modern version of the SD40-2 :)
Uhh...yeah...ok...whatever you say.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought the SD70 series (pre -2ace) was liked by crews. :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

UP crews (or the ones I have heard about) like the SD70M's..

Dave C

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Don Simon wrote:
I thought the SD70 series (pre -2ace) was liked by crews. :?
Nope. The way I've heard it is that SD40-2's are great, SD50's are so-so, SD60's are ok, and SD70's and beyond suck. Aopparently UP's 1,000+ SD70M's are junk.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I like them but then again I am odd.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

and SD70's and beyond suck.
This really surprises me. I knew that 50 series was disliked. But heard 60 series was better and early 70 series were good until they started that 70-2ace nonesense. Maybe they were comparing early 70 series to GE's of that time and the GE's were worse. But I've heard GE's have gotten better since and are much better liked than 70-2ace's.

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

Meh, keep the other stuff stored, just bring back the SD40-2's and SD50-2's that are stored. Heck, how about reactivating some of the HLCX stuff?

Ya, wishful thinking I know...

Alec

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

The UP SD70M's pull ok, but they sound like a bunch of spare change in a dryer in the cabs. I've also had a few that had dynamic brake issues, but that may just be UP's upkeep on them showing through.

I like the SD50's personally, they had issues initially, but EMD worked them out with new electronics IIRC.

If GE could rectify the problem with the ES series dynamic brakes, they would be great locomotives. GE is known for their dynamic brakes, but ES series seems to have them 'toned down' a bit or something. Takes forever to get any kind of action out of them, and they just seem 'weak' compared to other GE offerings. Might be a software issue or something, because every railroads ES series have the same problems.

The AC6000's had issues with the crankcases which is why they were de-rated for awhile until a better fix could be made. As it was, the crank case cam had to be removed, re-installed, then a part of it bent into place. The bending is what caused the concern, as there was the chance the tool used for bending could slip, resulting in injury to the shop person performing the fix. The AC6000's were eventually re-rated for 6000 hp, so I can only assume a better method for repair was developed.

Practice Safe CSX

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

I agree about the SD50s' and you could say the same about the 60s' series also--at least on the NS; on more than one train I was on we had 3 or 4 GP60s' and we would pull faster than some of the 6 axles as long as the rail was dry. Sometimes bigger isn't always better; I think if somebody was to build a 4 or 6 axle engine with say a 8 cylinder 710 block and rated it around 2500-3000 hp, it would last forever and get pretty good fuel consumption also. Throw in steerable trucks and extended range dyn. brakes and you got a ultra-modern 40 series engine.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

UP bulletins list the ES44's to not be used at all. If you have one in your consist..set it out or shut it down.
Dave C

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

So it's not just the K5HL's that suck about gevos ,but the turbochargers themselves!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

K5HL's are bada$$. They are 10 times better than K3LAR's getting put on all the GE's (UP & BNSF anyway). Now, if they would mount them facing forward and not use push-button solenoids, they would sound better. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WceirKOQMg (skip throught the BS to 4:00 where the run-bys start). I wouldn't mind seeing some K5HL's show up on some shortline power. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Horn nerds :P :lol:

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Mr. Tops wrote:K5HL's are bada$$. They are 10 times better than K3LAR's getting put on all the GE's (UP & BNSF anyway). Now, if they would mount them facing forward and not use push-button solenoids, they would sound better. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WceirKOQMg (skip throught the BS to 4:00 where the run-bys start). I wouldn't mind seeing some K5HL's show up on some shortline power. :)
To tell you the truth I like K5HL's ,but most people that hate gevo's say they hate there horns. I think K5LLA's are the best horns out there and go great with there designated engine (SD70ace/M-2). And one thing I like to think about the K5HL's and K5HLL's is that they sound like there saying "GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVOoooooooooooooooooooo" when there blown. Oh and the horn switches on the gevo's are nice! (Iv'e had my share of cabtours) :twisted: :roll: I like them alot better then the button activated ones (Like you said tops) on the desktop controls. By the way ,what company makes those switches ,Square D? Iv'e been looking for one to buy. :) :lol:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

And you know that the horn switches on the 70's and GEVO's are nice how? You had a what? Oh wait a tour? Try working on them they are a pain in the ass, every time you go to reach for something in the direction of the horn, or even turn around in your seat, you keep hitting the lever and making the horn blow.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:every time you go to reach for something in the direction of the horn, or even turn around in your seat, you keep hitting the lever and making the horn blow.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ah yes...I've put my knee into it or leaned into to it. Hey, why you blowing the horn? Oh wait, that's me...nevermind... :oops: :lol: