Joe's Hobby Center out of business

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Joe's Hobby Center out of business

Unread post by Garry K »

I stopped by Joe's Hobby Center at Grand River & Drake in Farmington on Wednesday, June 3, only to find they were out of business. The store was empty (no merchandise--still had display cases that are slated to be auctioned) and there was a sign in the window saying their property was seized for non-payment of taxes. It said they owed $899 plus 2009 taxes. (!)

A source who knows the owner says the owner tried to negotiate with the IRS, but they wouldn't negotiate, they just shut him down instead. That's ironic especially as the head honcho at the IRS is one of the biggest tax cheats around!

Anyway, if you were thinking of heading over there, save yourself a trip and the gas as the store isn't there any more.

Makes one wonder why anyone would try to keep a business running under this administration.

Garry K

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Joe's Hobby Center out of business

Unread post by AARR »

Sorry to hear it. And in case you haven't noticed more and more businesses are shutting down or leaving the country so maybe they don't want to put up with the administration here :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Although I am a shopper at Merri-Seven Trains, it is sad to see Joe's Hobby Center closed. Probably a good thing for Merri-Seven Trains because they will get more customers that went to Joe's.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Sad to hear, whenever we worked down in that area, I was there almost daily, talk about selection! So much for the "kinder, friendlier IRS". :cry: :cry: :cry:

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Another ironic thing is that Joe's was shut down for a pittance of back taxes owed, when at the same time the government throws trillions of dollars at large auto companies, banks, etc. Of course, I wonder if the IRS ever considered that by shutting down some businesses that those businesses will never again contribute taxes to the sustenance of the colons in Congress.

Garry K

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

I still have a $50 gift card for Joe's. $@%^!
Semi-retired railroader

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

If it was really a 'pittance' of taxes owed, why couldn't they just pay them? Why weren't they paid in the first place?

It really irks me as a tax paying American, that certain individuals or businesses purposely avoid paying their taxes. Its not hard, and more often then not, the IRS or State will work with you as long as you make an effort up front.

My guess is it was more than just a 'pittance' of back taxes. $900 to ensure your hobby shop stays open, isn't that large of a bill to foot. Especially when your weekly purchases to most distributors greatly exceeds that. Instead of ordering 5 of the latest locomotives for 'store stock', get 4. You'll quickly make up that $900 owed in just deferred inventory purchases. My guess is there was something else going on (declining sales, competition, poor business management, etc.).

Practice Safe CSX

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

I am sorry to hear Joe's is closed. I used to make the trip every now and then. The last time I was there the floor stock was the lowest I ever was it and it felt like the heat was off.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Id say its more ordering items off the internet is the main reason why so many hobby shops have been falling by the wayside in the past few years.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I heard the store is just relocating a short distance away, if it isn't, I too am sorry to see the store close. Although I no longer shop there ( I now am involved in Large Scale Trains, Mark didn't carry that at the store) I was heavy into HO for over 40 years and remember when Joe's Hobby Shop had 4 different locations at one time - used to patronize the Wyoming store in Detroit and then later when relocated, the one in Dearborn.
I was going over past issues of MR over the Memorial day weekend and couldn't help notice that except for P&D Hobby all the others advertising in MR back then are all gone! I'm afraid the internet/mail order houses have taken over almost all the business.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Great Lakes Hobby in Utica is hanging in there.

Are there any Riders left? They used to have quite a few locations.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Rider's in Lansing is gone, I know they had one in Kazoo & GR, heard Kazoo closed (can't confirm), don't know about GR. (Also thought they had one in the Detroit area, Royal Oak???)

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Rider's Hobby in Flint is still open....There is also a Hobby Town in Grand Blanc...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Roders in Utica only lasted a year or two

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Only Rider's left are Grand Rapids and Flint.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

No there are more Riders left then that. There are two diffrent Riders. There is corporate, that is the small stores all over the state. Then there is the two Riders left that are owned by Mike Allen, who's only ones left are Flint, and GR, but also used to inclued, Lansing, Madison Heights, and Utica.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Theres still a Riders in Ypsi, just a mile or so from my house.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Last time I was in Taylor the Rider's on Northline Road was still open.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Rider's in Toledo is gone, not that it was a big loss.

I have a book, Journey to Amtrak by Harold Edmonson (Kalmbach, 1972), that has a price tag inside the front cover from Joe's Hobby Center listing Dearborn and East Detroit as store locations. The price was $6.50.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The Rider's Hobby family tree is kind of complicated. Here is how I recall it.

First, you have the stores that are the straight-line descendents of Ken Rider's first shop, converted from a pen and typewriter shop in the late 1940s:

* Ann Arbor (the original, downtown, closed)
* Ypsilanti
* Canton (closed)
* Jackson (this was adjacent to warehouse space they acquired in the former Ginsberg's Surplus building near the airport, closed)
* Kalamazoo (closed)

During the later Jack Busch/Mike Busch era, they expanded by offering franchises. These include(d):

* Livonia
* Taylor
* Toledo (closed)
* A store somewhere in Texas (if I remember correctly, it has been gone a number of years)
* Sterling, Virginia

Then there are Mike Allen's Capitol Cities Hobby stores:

* Flint
* East Lansing, then Lansing (closed)
* Madison Heights (closed)
* Grand Rapids
* Utica (closed)

Hobby retail is a tough business, and it hasn't been getting any easier as the number of shop closings over the past ten years attests.
-Fritz Milhaupt