CMGN 2014

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

CMGN 2014

Unread post by GP9R »

Does anyone have photos of CMGN 2014 before it was painted into Central Michigan colors. Specifically when it was in Dob(dobb?) Mining?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: CMGN 2014

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Not sure if this is actually 2014, but this is a Devco (why did I think it was Dobb?) GP38-2.

Found this on Devco....

CAPE BRETON DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (DEVCO):
This crown corporation was formed in 1968 to improve the economy of Cape Breton and increase employment. One division - the coal division - was formed to operate the mines in Cape Breton and the Sydney & Louisburg Railway which became the DEVCO Railway. In the 1970s it had a motley collection of second-hand ALCO RS1s, RS23s and RS27s. From 1979 to 1983 they purchased thirteen GP38-2s some of which had power take-offs so that they could be used as emergency generators at the mines.

The railroad hauled the coal to the washing plant at Victoria Junction and then either to the loading dock at Witney Pier, to the domestic coal terminal at Dominion or to the interchange with the CB&CNS at Sydney.

When the mines closed several of the GP38-2s were sold and the coal pier and railroad were purchased by Emera (owners of the Nova Scotia Power Corporation). Coal is now imported through the pier and hauled by train to Victoria Junction where it is unloaded by a special tipper that has an electric remote controlled "pusher" that runs on a short track inside the building parallel to the line of coal cars and positions them for roatary tiping. After blending, the coal is trucked to one power station and taken by train to another. The cars have rotary couplings and so do not have to be uncoupled. The railroad is operated by the Quebec Railway Corporation as the Sydney Coal Railway.

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

My notes have CMGN 2014 being former DEVCo # 227..but I am not 100% sure.
Dave C

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Conrail Jon wrote: Image
That's a pretty sharp looking paint scheme.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Those Devco units were sharp looking. Does 2014 still have the tiny fuel tank or did someone put a large4r one on it? Dave C - I also show 2014 as former Devco 227.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

A few shots of 2014. Answer the tank question?

Showing some of her old colors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks to me like CMGN has a larger fuel tank than DEVCo 224. DEVCo received their GP38-2's in several batches so its possible that 224 and 227 arrived at different times with different sized fuel tanks or a larger fuel tank was installed on 227 later in its career.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Don..if you look at the first photo JDavis posted..you can see that the tank on the 2014 appears to have been added onto.
Dave C

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Don..if you look at the first photo JDavis posted..you can see that the tank on the 2014 appears to have been added onto.
SOG (son of a gun) you're right, Dave. Who would have thunk they'd extend the gas tank vs just putting another one on :? :o

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Don Simon wrote:
SOG (son of a gun) you're right, Dave. Who would have thunk they'd extend the gas tank vs just putting another one on :? :o
Thats easy, they either had a fab guy in the shop who needed some work, or someone has a friend with a fab shop :wink:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

This will be an interesting engine to Model. I'm tempted to get a pair and do one as Devo and one as CMGN :o

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If you do, GTW4633, they're not stock GP38-2's. So if you want to replicate them closely I can assist you with a bunch of details. I modeled one like this years ago.

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

Are there any DEVCo decals available? I really like the scheme.
Semi-retired railroader