Michigan Southern Ops

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Michigan Southern Ops

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Looking for any info of Michigan Southern RR operations. On duty times, days of week, power, customer, etc. Any information helps
Thanks

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Michigan Southern Ops

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Your best bet is to start in White Pigeon and then check to see if they are at Atlantic Packaging in Sturgis. I believe Atlantic Packaging is the only Sturgis customer that gets switched every weekday. Pigeon River Materials/Elkhart Plastics in White Pigeon and Atlantic in Sturgis are currently the largest customers on the MSO.

As for the other customers:
Commodity Concepts - 2-3 times a week
Iceberg Molding - Few times a month?
Abbott Nutrition - 2-3 times a week
OmniSource - Likely nothing since they are closing in December.
Frank Miller & Sons - Few times a month?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:35 pm
Your best bet is to start in White Pigeon and then check to see if they are at Atlantic Packaging in Sturgis. I believe Atlantic Packaging is the only Sturgis customer that gets switched every weekday. Pigeon River Materials/Elkhart Plastics in White Pigeon and Atlantic in Sturgis are currently the largest customers on the MSO.

Supposedly. Pioneer rotates the crew around between:
Michigan Southern
Kendallville Terminal RR
Elkhart & Western

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:05 pm
NS3322 wrote:

Michigan Southern
Kendallville Terminal RR
Elkhart & Western
They do rotate the crews. They go OD at White Pigeon around 7-8 am
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:04 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
NS3322 wrote:

Michigan Southern
Kendallville Terminal RR
Elkhart & Western
So do they finish whatever they have to do at the MSO and then drive to Kendallville or the E&WR?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:05 am
MQT1223 wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

Michigan Southern
Kendallville Terminal RR
Elkhart & Western
So do they finish whatever they have to do at the MSO and then drive to Kendallville or the E&WR?
When me and a friend chased in 2020, they simply tied down the power in Sturgis and hopped in a company vehicle to work Kendallville. Then they came back up and ran back west to White Pigeon to put the power in the house. When I used to drive to Elkhart and surrounding areas for delivery work on the regular, the E&W from Elkhart ran right by one of my stops. They were ALWAYS running Tuesday and Thursday. Not once did they work a different day. The E&W out of Argos is a totally different set of crews.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:40 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

When me and a friend chased in 2020, they simply tied down the power in Sturgis and hopped in a company vehicle to work Kendallville. Then they came back up and ran back west to White Pigeon to put the power in the house. When I used to drive to Elkhart and surrounding areas for delivery work on the regular, the E&W from Elkhart ran right by one of my stops. They were ALWAYS running Tuesday and Thursday. Not once did they work a different day. The E&W out of Argos is a totally different set of crews.
Awesome. Thanks for the details!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

MQT1223 wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Last Summer the E&W was running on Friday as i spent a few minutes talking to one of the crew as they were getting ready to begin their workday.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:15 am
MQT1223 wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

Last Summer the E&W was running on Friday as i spent a few minutes talking to one of the crew as they were getting ready to begin their workday.
Yeah they have a packaging customer right there in the NW quadrant of the diamond in Sturgis that now gets almost daily switching. They receive rolls of paper in those ex. SCL 60 foot boxcars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Atlantic Packaging, formerly International Paper, has two spurs. One west of the diamond that is outside the building and has three docks (I don't believe this one is used). The other is north of the diamond and goes into the building. It can hold five 50' boxcars or four 60's. Last I heard they were getting six cars a week and required two switches per week but their business must have increased since then.
MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm
Yeah they have a packaging customer right there in the NW quadrant of the diamond in Sturgis that now gets almost daily switching. They receive rolls of paper in those ex. SCL 60 foot boxcars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I haven’t seen cars on the Old Road spur of the Atlantic Packaging plant (or predecessors) since 2007, although it’s not like I get down there regularly. Check out the photos on pages 1-2 here: https://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbna ... n&type=AND

Those cars at that time were ancient and with interesting reporting marks making me wonder what kind of service they were in. Exploring the Discussion tab on the MSO wiki here on RRFan has some old trip reports. I would hazard a guess that the paper plant has long been the busiest single customer for the MSO. Great to hear these updates, tho!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I liked your photos and commentary on each one
GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:45 pm
I haven’t seen cars on the Old Road spur of the Atlantic Packaging plant (or predecessors) since 2007, although it’s not like I get down there regularly. Check out the photos on pages 1-2 here: https://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbna ... n&type=AND
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:36 pm
Atlantic Packaging, formerly International Paper, has two spurs. One west of the diamond that is outside the building and has three docks (I don't believe this one is used). The other is north of the diamond and goes into the building. It can hold five 50' boxcars or four 60's. Last I heard they were getting six cars a week and required two switches per week but their business must have increased since then.
MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm
Yeah the spurs used are on the GR&I side going towards Abbot Labs