Charlton Park in Hastings

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Charlton Park in Hastings

Unread post by SD80MAC »

When I was in second grade, we took a field trip to the pioneer village at Charlton Park in Hastings. This would have been in the late 90s. I swear there was some kind of a railroad display there, as I recall seeing some kind of an engine shed and a small diesel switcher. Can anyone confirm this, or am I crazy? Their website doesn’t show anything having to do with trains.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: Charlton Park in Hastings

Unread post by Jetlink »

I've been to Charlton Park many times. I do not recall a diesel switcher there. I asked Leslie (her grandparents live on Charlton Park road less than a mile away). She says they did have some sort of a train there. I don't remember it though. I'll start quizzing down the locals.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

There is indeed a locomotive at Charlton Park. The locomotive is a 1920’s small gauge engine built by the Midwest Locomotive Works in Hamilton, Ohio. I was told via email in 2016 that the last time the train operated was sometime in late 90’s or early 2000’s. It is currently housed in a small shed over by the river with approximately 20 feet of track and it is rolled out during special events. It was used at the Battle Creek sewage treatment plant from 1920 to around 1960.

Here is a link on its history:
https://charltonpark.wordpress.com/2010 ... 20s-train/

I intend to pay this locomotive a visit sometime in the spring. I was told via another email in 2018 that it is now in storage (whatever that means).

2002 Eddie Gross photo:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes, that’s it! I was going to edit my post to say it looked like a small Plymouth or a Whitcomb. I remember seeing it in the shed with a small section of track leading out of it. Thanks!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Does anybody know Eddie Gross? He seems to have a photo of just about everything in the state.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

CAT345C wrote:Does anybody know Eddie Gross? He seems to have a photo of just about everything in the state.
I have spoken with him via email several times. He is definitely a real person. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I visited the locomotive back on Monday. Initially, no one in the office knew what I was talking about until I further explained what it was. :roll:
I was told it is pulled out of the shed once a year for the big tractor and engine show.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Is this park along the river along Indian Trail road?

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

KenB wrote:Is this park along the river along Indian Trail road?
Most would say it is along the river off Charlton Park Road just north of M-79 between Hastings and Nashville.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Histo ... 85.2116371

I see google does list one of the roads within the bounds of the park as Indian Landing Drive. I've not really ever known it as a road that anyone in the area knew even had a name though.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Grand Rapids Gravel truck garage on Chicago Drive had a set of dump cars and a couple engines like this behind their garage. I am assuming they used these in their Chicago Drive mining ops. Judging by the little lakes behind Colprovia (now Reith-Riley) along the Acme Spur they needed a railroad, miniature sized as it was.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Doktor No wrote:Grand Rapids Gravel truck garage on Chicago Drive had a set of dump cars and a couple engines like this behind their garage. I am assuming they used these in their Chicago Drive mining ops. Judging by the little lakes behind Colprovia (now Reith-Riley) along the Acme Spur they needed a railroad, miniature sized as it was.
This would be cool to see, is there anything left of this?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

gbw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gbw »

Eddie Gross here, I live in Lansing, mostly read along, don't post much