Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by DaveO »

Robertrains wrote:OK, I am well aware that the "ALCOS" are gone! They all, except RS2U #469, were scrapped at the Roundhouse in Saginaw by Waymore® Power in 2011!!!! I was really hoping LSRC SD40 #5921 would be coming down the tracks! :cry: WOW, LSRC is getting "BIGGER!!!!" :mrgreen: This is awesome!!!! :mrgreen: I hope they stay "Independent!!!!"
Usually when someone wins, that means someone lost. Pretend you're a CSX employee. Imagine how you would feel about having the choice of moving somewhere else or losing your job.

Given the recent growth of Lake States, I expect the wall street vultures will start circling. Enjoy it while you can.

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Crow T Robot wrote:I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?

I was wondering this myself!!!! Now, I talked recently to "Railfan Gary" and he said that the current main CSX trains to/from Flint now originate/terminate at Rougemere Yard! They don't do that at Walbridge, Ohio anymore! They turn on the north "Wye" in Plymouth. Now, it sounds like coal and grain still work the line. Those may be the through trains now that still cross the diamond. I wonder if
LSRC trains will interchange at Rougemere or Plymouth. I need more "Clarification" on all of this!!!! However, it is very exciting for LSRC and yes I hope the current CSX employees keep their jobs!!!!! :wink:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Robertrains wrote:
Crow T Robot wrote:I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?

I was wondering this myself!!!! Now, I talked recently to "Railfan Gary" and he said that the current main CSX trains to/from Flint now originate/terminate at Rougemere Yard! They don't do that at Walbridge, Ohio anymore! They turn on the north "Wye" in Plymouth. Now, it sounds like coal and grain still work the line. Those may be the through trains now that still cross the diamond. I wonder if
LSRC trains will interchange at Rougemere or Plymouth. I need more "Clarification" on all of this!!!! However, it is very exciting for LSRC and yes I hope the current CSX employees keep their jobs!!!!! :wink:
CSX RR train and engine crews are currently based out of Walbridge, OH which is south of Toledo, and worked to and from Flint and to and from Rougemere Yard, Daerborn. Grand Rapids operating crews worked to and from Rougemere Yard.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only trains that use Toledo crews that operate to Flint are the grain and coal trains. All of the freight runs out of Rougemere yard in Detroit via D735 and D736.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Looks like it will be "Scrapped" soon and the number boards are gone!!!!
:(
Last edited by Robertrains on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Robertrains wrote:Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Can you confirm it is being "Scrapped?"

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Can you confirm it is being "Scrapped?"

Yes, I talked to one of the guys at the CSX Rougemere Yard office. He said it is going to be "Scrapped!!!!" If you are nice to them, they can help.
:wink:

Here's a picture, © Steven Davey, of LSRC 2052 working in Saginaw, 11/23/2011: Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2830833

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

The 2052 was the last unit of the original units assigned to Saginaw in late October 2005. At SBS-LSRCs startup. The other units on day 1 where the 2003, 975, 3504, 281, 1280, and the 381. All the units from day 1 are now gone. The 2003 is still around but silent and a shell of it's former self as slug #304.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Wonder whats wrong with it. Hate to see it scrapped if someone could use it.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Seems a number of railroads with 4 axle power bought 6 axle for heavier trains that makes me wonder if management might be selling the 4 axles soon. GLC, INER and LSRC all went this route. In Coldwater we had a different 4 axle every weekend cause our 110 steamer is down for its FRA boiler inspection. GP9, GP30, GP10, GP7 all provided by INER as back-up. Made the drive over a guessing game as to which unit would be on the train. I loved the diversity of power as a conductor on each one. It's nice to have a good working relationship with the managment team at Milford Grain.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Maybe the new power for lake States me to involve the operation of PTC.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

SD80MAC wrote:Port Huron is home to 1 or 2 local/yard jobs plus the D711 Flint turn. There has always been locals based in PH but the D job wasn’t based there until they closed Flint as a crew base around 2013.
Just an FYI D710/711 is based out of Flint. at least for now
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

jrgerber wrote:Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?
Unless they have received permission from the FRA to remove the signal system, they must maintain it.
I'm not aware that they have filed or will file for that permission.

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

Is there any hope that this deal might bring back some lost customers or new ones?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's not a lot of prospects but LSRC has a good marketing and sales team so whatever is out there I'm sure they'll be knocking on doors. One that comes to mind is the transload yard in Wixom. CSX built and operated it but shut it down.
Crow T Robot wrote:Is there any hope that this deal might bring back some lost customers or new ones?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

DaveO wrote:
jrgerber wrote:Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?
Unless they have received permission from the FRA to remove the signal system, they must maintain it.
I'm not aware that they have filed or will file for that permission.

LSRC tried shutting off the signals between Mt Morris and Saginaw but the FRA wouldn't approve it. So the Signals will stay lit for a while. Plus Plymouth to Flint see's more Hazmat traffic due to the P.H. connection.
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The STB filing finally dropped the other day:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 247140.pdf

Key highlights:
- Property line will be north of Middle River a distance such that CSX will have enough headroom in Plymouth
- Interchange will move from Flint to Plymouth
- LSRC can interchange with the CN at Flint or Holly as they like but will pay a fee to CSX for any cars originating on the segment between Flint and Plymouth which are interchanged that way
- LSRC will haul CSX's Port Huron traffic to Flint and CSX will then use trackage rights on LSRC to get down to the CN
- CSX reserves overhead trackage rights to Flint from Plymouth which they can use to reach their CN connection under certain undisclosed terms - probably in the event they find LSRC's haulage rights unsatisfactory

So in general terms CSX intends to keep the Port Huron status quo, with LSRC hauling traffic up to Flint.

I'm excited to see what the Lake State might be able to do with the Flint area, in terms of regenerating traffic. Whole lotta yard space available, too, for storage cars.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:The STB filing finally dropped the other day:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 247140.pdf

Key highlights:
- Property line will be north of Middle River a distance such that CSX will have enough headroom in Plymouth
- Interchange will move from Flint to Plymouth
- LSRC can interchange with the CN at Flint or Holly as they like but will pay a fee to CSX for any cars originating on the segment between Flint and Plymouth which are interchanged that way
- LSRC will haul CSX's Port Huron traffic to Flint and CSX will then use trackage rights on LSRC to get down to the CN
- CSX reserves overhead trackage rights to Flint from Plymouth which they can use to reach their CN connection under certain undisclosed terms - probably in the event they find LSRC's haulage rights unsatisfactory

So in general terms CSX intends to keep the Port Huron status quo, with LSRC hauling traffic up to Flint.

I'm excited to see what the Lake State might be able to do with the Flint area, in terms of regenerating traffic. Whole lotta yard space available, too, for storage cars.
I remember as a kid when CSX and CN/GT removed what was left of the interchange, the station siding and anything else associated with it around the diamond in Holly. What would ever warrant them putting any of that back in? Not saying that they would want to, I just find it interesting that the option is there when the interchange at Flint seems like the more logical place to go.

Also, what will happen the night before the lease begins? Will CSX run one train through to grab anything that is theirs such as locomotives and leave everything else behind that isn't theirs?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)