Elon Musk/Tesla takes a shot at the Railroads

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Elon Musk/Tesla takes a shot at the Railroads

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Well, it’s finally happening.

According to Railway Age, Tesla is looking at using their electric semi to render railroads obsolete, using autonomous driving and “platooning”: https://t.co/gxNoAWQxTe?amp=1

Personally I’m not overly worried about Tesla. With the company facing multiple lawsuits, an SEC investigation, and not paying suppliers, all the while having 920 million dollars of debt to repay in the coming months, I doubt they’ll have the semi ready in two years as Musk claims, if they’re still open for business.

*Note: articles are from 2017, but have become relavent again because of a dispute between UP and Tesla where UP won’t release cars to Tesla in SLC.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elon Musk/Tesla takes a shot at the Railroads

Unread post by NS3322 »

Yeah, put more semis on the road. As if it isn't already hard to drive on I-94.
With the current state and reckless behavior of Mr. Musk, I do not see Tesla as being a major threat.

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

Just what we need, more freight traffic on our road ways to degrade them and create an even larger tax burden. Have wonder if more efficient short line operations can actually compete with trucks. We have several abandoned industrial sites with rail access not being utilized in our county. For those interested just find the Buckbee Mears Site in Cortland and the rail that goes west of town through to Luker Road, lots of empty building lots there... have to believe many places have similar situations. New York State killed off the industry but sooner or later the requirements to pay for themselves will incent them to attract business back...my guess Fracking will make this miraculous come back once the politically connected people decide its best for them. We also have a lot of Dairy and that is serviced buy 4 or five larger trucking companies to places in PA, Unadilla , and Rochester as all the local processing long since have died after the current governor's dad killed off the smaller farms here. The large operations have all grown....huge....and the "destinations" for their milk are all places with rail access. We don't have a facilities to allow competition to the trucking on those rail heads. Not even certain the rail road can handle that type of thing either I guess. Salt, there is a non stop year around truck train of salt trucks always wondered why there wasn't short line service to the counties then they state, county, and towns could draw from there vs. have this swarm of salt trucks..

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The new all electric hybrid trucks will not be jamming up the freeways. But......the NEW tunnel system that he will build across the nation. :D :D :D