South Shore to run Frieght To Jackson???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: South Shore to run Frieght To Jackson???

Unread post by NS3322 »

Deleted
Last edited by NS3322 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

If you let them know it bothered you, you are giving them what they wanted.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Super Chief wrote:Some hopper cars east of Niles depot are Amtrak ballast cars, remember a few years ago the eastbound passenger train almost hit them head-on because a signal maintainer shunt the circuit and gave them a proceed signal and routed them into the siding and he was in the bungalow.
I recall the issue in Niles with Amtrak a few years ago. The cars I spotted in Google Maps look to be different than the ballast cars Amtrak uses. These cars are on a spur that is basically next to the Amtrak yard, but the loading area is next to Paragon Tempered Glass, although this doesn't appear to be the customer loading the cars. It almost looks like it is dirt of some sort. Were they loading dirty dirt from Niles recently? It's basically at the corner of Terminal Rd and Renaissance Dr.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NS3322 wrote:
J T wrote: Were someone's emotions affected or something?
A little. :lol:
I was more worried about the spread of false information.
Because that false railfain information would affect the lives of people how?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

The hopper cars in question in Niles were empty old woodchip gons being loaded with shredded tires. I don’t know if they still load there or not.
I save lives. What do you do?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Perhaps this is the business that moved to WMRR
Firemedic Mike wrote:The hopper cars in question in Niles were empty old woodchip gons being loaded with shredded tires. I don’t know if they still load there or not.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

MQT1223 wrote:The Chicagoland Railfan group on Facebook
This thread should've ended right here. How is it two pages?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Schteinkuh wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

NS3322 wrote:
Schteinkuh wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.
Because nothing makes a foamer/railfan happier than rumors (or in this case a joke turned into a rumors)
Last edited by Wabash1070 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm here

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Rumors :lol:
Wabash1070 wrote: roomers
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

So while that post on facebook may have been a joke, I can speak to this issue truthfully.

About ten years ago I spoke to a CSS official who was a friend of mine. He's no longer with the railroad. I asked him that, given the expansion to Kingsbury and north side Michigan City, would CSS think about picking up the freight rights to Niles, Coldwater, or further up the road?

His answer was that it had not been studied formally at the time. Also, at the time, the biggest constraint was the lack of power with ITCS equipment, evidently only a few of the orange geeps have ITCS, and they either didn't want to spend the money to equip more or couldn't spare them.

Since this conversation (think it was 2008), they've bought the black SD38's and leased the blue geeps, and PTC has become compulsory on their system. Whether there is a PTC-and-ITCS compatible system, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me given that the PTC on Norfolk Southern from Porter to Chicago is not ITCS.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

CSS has no need for ITCS equipped engines because they don't operate over the ITCS equipped Amtrak Michigan Line(AML). The beginning/eniding point for the AML ITCS is at Chesterton.
NS does need ITCS equipped engines because they do operate over the AML.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

DaveO wrote:CSS has no need for ITCS equipped engines because they don't operate over the ITCS equipped Amtrak Michigan Line(AML). The beginning/eniding point for the AML ITCS is at Chesterton.
They don’t need ITCS for the section of AML they serve local customers on in Michigan City?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
DaveO wrote:CSS has no need for ITCS equipped engines because they don't operate over the ITCS equipped Amtrak Michigan Line(AML). The beginning/eniding point for the AML ITCS is at Chesterton.
They don’t need ITCS for the section of AML they serve local customers on in Michigan City?
I was confused on that aspect as well.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Per Amtrak's filing with the FRA:
The Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad operates over a very short distance on the Michigan Line in the Michigan City area (MP 228.0 to MP 228.79. They operate three days per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The President of Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad has agreed by letter (Appendix A, p. 52) to operate during a night-time window between 11:45 pm and 5:30 am central time when no Amtrak passenger trains operate thereby providing temporal separation between CSS&SBRR freight trains and Amtrak passenger trains.

Amtrak and the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad are hereby requesting FRA to grant an exception as provided by §236.1006 (b) (4) (ii) with the additional condition that temporal separation will be provided as described above.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

SD80MAC wrote:
Ouch :oops:
The swing bridge.

SInce there are people here that obviously are aware of that end, let me ask a question I've been trying to remember the answer to.
What is/are the locations on the AML that aren't tall enough for double stacks?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

On the east end, the Ann Arbor railroad bridge has been noted to potentially be too low. They have run double stack rerouted this way before, and they obviously cleared it, but I believe I heard the distance between the top of the train is not enough for regular service or something along those lines.. they fit, but it's sorta tight. I just remember there being talk of "to run double stacks, the grades on the NS (at the time) Michigan line would need to be changed, or the Ann Arbor Bridge would need to be higher. This may be incorrect as the last time we had an intermodal rerouted was probably about a decade ago, but it was one of the "potential problem" spots.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Ypsi wrote:On the east end, the Ann Arbor railroad bridge has been noted to potentially be too low. They have run double stack rerouted this way before, and they obviously cleared it, but I believe I heard the distance between the top of the train is not enough for regular service or something along those lines.. they fit, but it's sorta tight. I just remember there being talk of "to run double stacks, the grades on the NS (at the time) Michigan line would need to be changed, or the Ann Arbor Bridge would need to be higher. This may be incorrect as the last time we had an intermodal rerouted was probably about a decade ago, but it was one of the "potential problem" spots.
On the west side of Michigan double-stacks have been not so surgically removed from detouring eastbound freight trains.
I just don't remember what obstacle does the dirty deed.
That is why their is a high car detector right after leaving the Chicago Line.
https://goo.gl/maps/guU1RWjqWK72
Which leads me to another question. Is there a high car detector for westbound traffic somewhere west of Kalamazoo?

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

DaveO wrote:

Which leads me to another question. Is there a high car detector for westbound traffic somewhere west of Kalamazoo?
Found a Conrail timetable online.
No mention of a high car detector for traffic heading west on the Michigan Line.
The high car detector at Porter shows it set for 18 feet 4 inches.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

DaveO wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Found a Conrail timetable online.
No mention of a high car detector for traffic heading west on the Michigan Line.
The high car detector at Porter shows it set for 18 feet 4 inches.
I got lucky at a show last year and picked up the 2017 Amtrak/MDOT timetable for the Michigan Line. No mention of a high-car detector west of Kalamazoo that I've seen. I don't really think it would be needed, as I thought NS rerouted trains via the GDLK and then onto the AML instead of sending them via Porter. This was back before ITCS was extended east of town.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.