Huckleberry Railroad No. 152 Now Operational!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Huckleberry Railroad No. 152 Now Operational!

Unread post by NS3322 »

Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad wrote:It's an exciting day at the Huckleberry Railroad Shop, even though it is 90 degrees. Engine 152, after a long rebuild process that started in 2016, has finally been pulled out of the Railroad Shop for a test fire. The project included dismantling the entire locomotive. The boiler was removed from the frame and sent out for testing and repair. Shop staff tested valves, re-profiled the drive wheels, replaced wear parts, rebuilt the tender car and gave the jacket a fresh coat of paint complete with hand painted numbering. Later this summer the beautiful restored engine 152 will be able to make its way down the Huckleberry Railroad tracks thanks to a large grant from the Mott Foundation that funded the project. There is even an impressive new lubrication system that includes 214 fittings! Once test firing is complete, staff will inspect the operating systems and begin doing test runs and fine tuning the locomotive before putting it back into service.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Huckleberry Railroad No. 152 Now Operational!

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like a 4-6-0? Nice to have another operating steam engine :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:Looks like a 4-6-0? Nice to have another operating steam engine :) .
Built for the Alaska Railroad before they converted the railroad to Standard Gauge, the first steam locomotive the Village and Railroad acquired and a favorite. For me, it was the first steam locomotive I had ever seen in real life. The paint scheme its wearing now I think gets some inspiration from the first scheme it wore when it was first returned to operation on the Huck.

The rebuild is supposed to coincide with the end of the 464's fluetime. Railfest this year (per the rumor mill) is supposed to focus heavily on the return of 152 and dual operation of both engines simultaneously. My understanding is that 464's time is up this year and it will go down for a heavy rebuild very similar to what just occurred on 152.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

I've heard they are going to have "Double Headed Steam" for "Railfan Weekend" in August! It will be with both #152 and 464!!!! Can anyone here confirm? :?:
This will be great if they do this!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Robertrains wrote:I've heard they are going to have "Double Headed Steam" for "Railfan Weekend" in August! It will be with both #152 and 464!!!! Can anyone here confirm? :?:
This will be great if they do this!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Its a pretty strong rumor but I'd count on it at this point.

464 is supposed to go down this winter for a much needed time in the shop so I'd expect to see more of 152.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)