Railroad owns land

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad owns land

Unread post by jrgerber »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Railroad owns land

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder why they didn't post a picture of the actual location and lady who owns the house and instead used a generic city picture?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:I wonder why they didn't post a picture of the actual location and lady who owns the house and instead used a generic city picture?
The original article, complete with local pictures, just for you :shock:

https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story ... 703801002/

Don't blame the railroad, the owners should have paid the extra costs for a land survey, title search and title insurance. While there are cases where clear title may be impossible to get, the insurance part will at least give you reimbursement should a defect be found later. And if they won't give you title insurance, well, you were warned.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, DaveO. I was hoping to see railroad tracks on her property or maybe an old spur :mrgreen: .
DaveO wrote:
AARR wrote:I wonder why they didn't post a picture of the actual location and lady who owns the house and instead used a generic city picture?
The original article, complete with local pictures, just for you :shock:

https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story ... 703801002/

Don't blame the railroad, the owners should have paid the extra costs for a land survey, title search and title insurance. While there are cases where clear title may be impossible to get, the insurance part will at least give you reimbursement should a defect be found later. And if they won't give you title insurance, well, you were warned.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

I can see the real estate ad now...Foamers Dream Home...half owned by CN with tracks right across the street that's also in the wrong place. Hang a semaphore out front, put in spotlights and you too can be Station Agent! Bay window installation is optional.
I can see this on the back pages of TRAINS Magazine next couple of months.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

My property tax bills clearly say "Township not responsible for taxes paid on wrong parcel.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Well, here's a conundrum. I see that a lot of balls were dropped in this transaction. First of all, the buyer should have done "Due Diligence" Checking the property records before signing, But also, the seller, and realtor should have done the same. I have known more than a few people that have purchased properties without really getting the whole story. Then they have some big regrets. ALWAYS research any property purchase! You could otherwise find yourself in a BIG pile of dog s#!t..... And not the type you can just scoop up and dispose of......... I doubt that any lawyer can re-draw the property lines. even If they could, I think the fees would FAR out weigh any gains for the property owner.

Todd
PS
As an aside, I have always dreamed of a "House by the tracks", but I'm not sure how I feel about that now....
I'd want to be sure that those "Nice Tracks" by my house didn't host daily trains of Crude Oil, and other Toxic cargo. But a Dinner Train would be just fine. I always read about the "NIMBYS", that fight against such dinner/ tourist trains, claiming all measures of wrack and ruin. I guess I don't have to tell anyone here about that, you all know..

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Not sure how they paid for the property years ago. But mine and most mortgage companies require Title Insurance. It's been a while, but I don't recall it being optional. Title insurance was part of the closing costs on two homes that I have purchased over the years. I even bought a property on a land contract years ago, and was charged for title insurance at closing.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

During the Conrail era a pair of officials high railed the MC Main with plot maps to compare the maps to what was actually on the ground. They discovered that a gas/convenience store was partly on Conrail property. I've forgotten exactly where it was however I do recall it was on the east end perhaps in the Chelsea area. Anyhow the title company anted up around forty grand to purchase the property from the railroad. Title companies are famous for their reluctance to pay up in these cases and it usually requires going to court to force them to pay.

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

I wish I had done due diligence. I actually did buy a house next to railroad tracks and was TOLD the railroad only owns 15 feet into my property. I purchased the property and wanted to build a pole barn, so I hired a surveyor. Turns out the INE owns 50 feet into my property, making my property smaller than I though and it turns out I was mowing grass and my clothesline is on RR property. Thankfully, none of my buildings are on the property line, although its close. In the video below, you can see the survey stake and the tracks.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

When I bought my first house the mortgage lender required a survey (which I was charged for at the closing). A few months later I had a property line dispute with a neighbor and found the "survey" was a surveyor driving up in his truck, looking at the legal description and saying "yup, that's looks like it". No measurements. Along with the miserable paperwork preparation by the closing company and the seller not able to pay off his note so we could close, I swore if I bought another house I'd have a lawyer.

Fast forward 20+ years later and house number two. I found a real estate attorney who for a modest fee would review all the paper work. Got paperwork for me? Send it to my lawyer if he says it's o.k. he'll send it on to me. Closing was a snap, no errors and everyone one was ready. The purchase was contingent on a survey measured and those nice stakes with pink tape driven in the ground marking the lines for all to see.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

How many trains a week go by your house?
R.E.A.P.E.R. wrote:Turns out the INE owns 50 feet into my property...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Just a question here...how can a railroad own either 15 or 50 feet into YOUR property. If they own it it's their property not yours. Just wondered.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.