CP 421 Upgrade

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: CP 421 Upgrade

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Justalurker, Dajudge and others, I have been meaning to thank you all for your documentation of the final days of old CP 421 and the construction of CP 421 v. 2.0. I've been watching trains at the depot in Elkhart probably since I was in a stroller in the late 1980s. I don't get down there near as often any more (haven't had family living there since 2004) but it's a great train watching location still full of railroad history despite its new track alignment and the new concrete Amtrak platform replacing the Harper Norton paver brick platform. Sometime soon, I'll get to Elkhart again to explore myself. In the meantime, I'll imagine it just how it used to be. I really appreciate the continuous updates. It's great to see NS' investment in this major yard and interlocking facility.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

They kicked out another notice that designates CP 423 to CP 421.9 to Main 3. Speed all 30mph.

Also 420.8 to 421.8 is 60TV 50FRT 70PASS.

I guess the old notice was deemed confusing. (it was)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I took the loooooooooong walk down to 4th St to where Amtrak is currently boarding. The new platform ends just east of the eastbound signal bridge (across the tracks from the signal cabinet). The connection between the new platform and old platform looks permanent (poured concrete, not a temporary asphalt walkway).
cp421-171103a.jpg
cp421-171103b.jpg

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Over the past couple of days the final remnant of the old crossovers was removed from the curve. Work is still underway on the Middlebury/Main St crossing.
Super curve!
Super curve!
(Where the rubber meets the road.)
(Where the rubber meets the road.)

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Something new for the GDLK. Car RFID detection has been added between the old B tower and Prairie St crossing. It not only catches the in and outbounds on the Elk but also the E&W.

Can't wait for the street crossings to reopen. They were originally scheduled for the end of November. Not sure if still on schedule but looks promising if the weather holds.
Attachments
Radomes on each side of GDLK.
Radomes on each side of GDLK.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

November 29th, 2015
November 29th, 2015
The road reopening was announced as November 22nd when it closed. I have not seen any changes in the past few weeks to the road.

The platform has been extended back to the station with a concrete connection between the new platform and the old. Not open at the east end at last check.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

That car scanners been there a few years or more, maybe they replaced them if they look like work was done recently.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

rob46580 wrote:That car scanners been there a few years or more, maybe they replaced them if they look like work was done recently.
Hopefully the new signal location does not cause problems. The local serving the E&W can now stop at Middlebury St while waiting for the CP 421 signal (and if it is short enough it will clear Prairie St ... more importantly it clears the switch so it can be lined back to normal before the train is given the signal at CP 421).

Does a train stopping on a tag reader cause a problem?

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Is the new Amtrak platform at Elkhart served by TK 1 or TK 2?
Andy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

twropr wrote:Is the new Amtrak platform at Elkhart served by TK 1 or TK 2?
Andy
Main 1
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

And the east end of the platform is now open ... so there is less of a walk to the new platform.

The road crossings are still closed.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Thanks for the correction on the timing of the GDLK scanner antenna's. As I did a closer inspection they appeared to have been there a while. However it was a first observation for me. Anyway, it gave us something to discuss. The GDLK probably doesn't get much love...... CP Holiday train coming Nov 30th around 3 AM. Keep an eye on twitter for latest location.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

http://cpholidaytrain.ca/ features a tracker, need to switch to us train, and unsure if they will leave it on past windsor.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

They are pouring the new Amtrak platform in small slabs. About 3 or 4 more to go to connect it all up. Then it will be one 15 foot wide by .3 mile long platform. I say the mayor contact CP Holiday Train management and ask them to stop for a 30 minute performance next year. People could gather on or near the platform and they could let the stage down (on the north side) of track one and give a show. I'm sure we could pull in enough people. After all we did crashed the tracker server yesterday!

Also added are 6 utility poles along the north edge of the platform. Obviously going to supply night safety lighting. Don't know how much fancier the platform will become?

Lastly, main street and Middlebury are both open. Asphalt is down and its a quite a roller coaster ride over the super elevation and down to the GDLK track (northbound).

Has anyone heard the super elevation angle? I guess between 1 and 2°.

Lastly again, finally figured out what that piece of MOW machine (critter) that was left behind on old track 2 is. My best guess after much study is not a spike puller as I first thought. It is a spring clip installer. The "S" shaped spike alternate that allows the track to flex slightly without working loose. They are all over the super elevated curve track and most of the point rails on the switches.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It appears that they made Track 1 higher than Track 2 and Track 3 (respectively) which helps reduce the washboard effect. There are several "road closed ahead" signs that need to be picked up. Some have been turned to protect from cars going off of the edge of the road between Main St and Middlebury St. Some dark night or if the gap gets filled in with snow someone is going to lose a car in that hole (unless permanent protection is added).

The platform looks nice and is comfortable for watching trains. The light poles are in the view from the old platform ... but depending on when the lights are on they may help with night viewing. The light over the emergency generator at the east end of the platform helps.
The new Main Street road crossing.
The new Main Street road crossing.
Mind the Gap (hopefully there will be a permanent barrier to make sure people don't drive in to this hole)
Mind the Gap (hopefully there will be a permanent barrier to make sure people don't drive in to this hole)
Meeting at CP 421
Meeting at CP 421

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:They kicked out another notice that designates CP 423 to CP 421.9 to Main 3. Speed all 30mph.

Also 420.8 to 421.8 is 60TV 50FRT 70PASS.

I guess the old notice was deemed confusing. (it was)
If I understand correctly, 420.8 to 421.8 includes the limits of CP 421. Is the 30 MPH curve restriction still in place?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

One thing I noticed about the new CP 421 is the platform and lack of space on other side prevented the conversion from electric to gas switch heaters which seemed to be the standard practice everywhere there were electric heaters.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I finally got a chance to go downtown and enjoy the lights.
cp421-171217a.jpg
All the new lights are LEDs with two panels per pole, three panels on the pole nearest the station to light the walkway. There are also lights in the property northwest of the underpass (no longer a homeless camp).
cp421-171217b.jpg
The tracks by the old platform are being removed. Old Track 1 is missing from the road underpass west to the new signal bridge. Old Track 2 has a shorter missing segment. There are still old tracks next to the new signal bridge.
cp421-171217c.jpg
There are light pole bases on the property northwest of the underpass. Three large bases and thirty small bases. It looks like they may be for more decorative lighting. If it were not for the large overhead lights I'd guess that the new bases were for platform lights.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

That is going to be a sweet train watching spot.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I want to say thank you for this thread. It is very interesting to follow a project of this size to completion. I would make guesses as to the order of events that NS would follow and then could see if I was right or wrong based on the pictures and discussion here.

But if I may, does anyone have pictures of the Main Street crossing looking north and south down the roadway? I'm curious just how that looks with those super-elevated curves.