W&LE Updates April 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

W&LE Updates April 2017

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

Not sure if there's anyone interested in this, but I didn't see any posts for W&LE updates yet, so I thought I'd start one. I'm in Ohio for the weekend and any updates would help.
At about 3:15 PM today, one of the DRGW tunnel motor SD40s was in Lang Yard with a patched BNSF H1 SD40-2 and what looked like a patched UP SD40-2. The tunnel motor was facing south to lead.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: W&LE Updates April 2017

Unread post by AARR »

I like W&LE updates :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

With the shift of the DTE coal contract to NS, Lang Yard is considerably more empty these days. This does often make for good views of the W&LE when they are in town. When I passed by earlier this week I saw this http://www.nsdash9.com/WEroster/WE7001.html I could almost smell the new paint :)

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

TrainStuff13 wrote:Not sure if there's anyone interested in this, but I didn't see any posts for W&LE updates yet, so I thought I'd start one. I'm in Ohio for the weekend and any updates would help.
At about 3:15 PM today, one of the DRGW tunnel motor SD40s was in Lang Yard with a patched BNSF H1 SD40-2 and what looked like a patched UP SD40-2. The tunnel motor was facing south to lead.
Was still there, facing south, at 4 pm when I passed by. DRGW #5391.
On Wednesday night, while on a bike ride on a trail south of Bolivar, OH, saw a couple WLE units leading a WB freight, with a painted-out BCOL unit trailing. Turns out that was the WLE mainline between Pittsburgh and Toledo.
Owosso Steve

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

From what I've heard, WLE leaves Lang a little after 8 PM. Is this still true?

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Power for tonight's train out of Lang is 6387 (a patched BN SD40-2), 6984 (what I'm guessing is a patched leaser gray SD40-2), and 8795 (a patched UP tunnel motor).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I believe lumber and frack sand are interchanged with CN at Lang. What other types of traffic do you see?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I believe lumber and frack sand are interchanged with CN at Lang. What other types of traffic do you see?
The only cars of the train I could see were frack sand cars. The rest were hidden behind autoracks.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Lumber and sand seem to be dominant as you said, AARR.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

According to the CN Updates post, there has been two unit sand trains on the Holly Sub going south toward Toledo. Looks like frack sand traffic might be increasing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I've heard about unit frac sand trains on the Holly Sub but haven't seen one.
TrainStuff13 wrote:According to the CN Updates post, there has been two unit sand trains on the Holly Sub going south toward Toledo. Looks like frack sand traffic might be increasing.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

W&LE was switching a long string of frack sand cars in Lang when I passed by there today.

What is the origin and destination of these cars?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'll guess the origin is one of the sand mines CN services in WI and the destination probably on W&LE's east end where the natural gas drilling operations are located.

There's a YouTube video of a long dormant W&LE branch line in eastern OH (IIRC) that was reopened recently as a transload for frac sand.
jimnorthwood wrote:W&LE was switching a long string of frack sand cars in Lang when I passed by there today.

What is the origin and destination of these cars?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

frac sand going gangbusters for CN in Wisconsin.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/fre ... channel=94
Exit stage left

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

6316 (SD40-2 in WC paint) is sitting in Lang and will lead tonight's outbound train.