New "Toledo Junction Railroad"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

New "Toledo Junction Railroad"

Unread post by MDH »

I'm starting this thread to accumulate information on the new shortline(?) operation coming to Toledo. A couple pictures have made their way to Flickr and there's been some speculation but no real solid information on what exactly piece of railroad they'll be operating on. First up, here's the Flickr shots:

And:

Now for a couple "speculation" threads on TO:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2553197

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2553334

The one thing I'd point out is the similarity (perhaps related party ownership?) to the current unit that serves the Toledo Docks:

So I guess we'll all get to wait and see what develops....

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: New "Toledo Junction Railroad"

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Pretty attractive and photogenic paint scheme wouldn't you say?

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

They are nice, I can't wait to see them next time I'm in Toledo!

I'd guess a parent company now owns both railroads, especially if the paint is the same. Does seem odd to have 3-4 engines for a small operation though.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

cbehr91 wrote:Pretty attractive and photogenic paint scheme wouldn't you say?
Which is exactly why I'm convinced they'll be hidden in the port.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railohio wrote:
cbehr91 wrote:Pretty attractive and photogenic paint scheme wouldn't you say?
Which is exactly why I'm convinced they'll be hidden in the port.
And that sounds more & more likely...

Only hope for these will probably be shooting off the Front St bridge by the Wheeling bridge - but that's hoping there's not fences & poles & other crap in the way (which there probably will be).

Michael

FWIW I'd think there's a good chance of these being delivered to Toledo via NS 343 from Bellevue to Homestead in the next day or two. As of 4PM on Tues 8/30 they're still sitting in Bellevue (per report from another board member).
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

6 axle units for industrial switching? Some of us can recall when 6 axles came out there were many many places they were not allowed due to weight restrictions, curvature problems, etc. It seems they are everywhere doing everything now :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:6 axle units for industrial switching? Some of us can recall when 6 axles came out there were many many places they were not allowed due to weight restrictions, curvature problems, etc. It seems they are everywhere doing everything now :?
Part of that has to do with railroad infrastructure (sp?) back then not being what it is today. Imagine running today's 10,000ft plus monster coal trains that weigh upwards of 12,000 tons on 90 lb stick rail at 60 mph!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Conrail Jon wrote:
AARR wrote:6 axle units for industrial switching? Some of us can recall when 6 axles came out there were many many places they were not allowed due to weight restrictions, curvature problems, etc. It seems they are everywhere doing everything now :?
Part of that has to do with railroad infrastructure (sp?) back then not being what it is today. Imagine running today's 10,000ft plus monster coal trains that weigh upwards of 12,000 tons on 90 lb stick rail at 60 mph!
Not to split hairs here, but a 10,000 ft coal train would weigh around 24,000 tons. Just sayin. Of course everything has gone up since "back then"...car capacity, size of rail, etc. When 90lb stick rail was the norm, cars were smaller than what they are today.

The docks already use (and have used for many years) 6-axles. They offer more tractive effort than 4-axles and are the better option for lugging cuts of coal and ore. They aren't being used on light industrial rail or tight radiuses, so there are no drawbacks of using them. There are still many places you wont find 6-axles, smaller industries like you would normally think of using smaller engines; paper mills, scrap yards, etc. But the dock is a different breed, it's heavy duty industrial.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Well its offical now where they are going. They are headed to the docks. In fact the GP10 has been relettered Toledo Junction Railroad. Both the new GP16 and SD40-2 are at Homestead yard, to far back to get any good photos.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Around lunchtime NS BO06 / CSX Z250 pulled them out of Homestead and took them down the Terminal to Stanley yard where presumably they'll be taken up to the docks via a yard job of some sort in the next 12-24 hours.

After that, good luck seeing them out on the road again...

(maybe in a month or later when the units going to the new Ironville Docks have to get moved over to there)

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Hows about taking this thread and merging it with this one, as its all the same railroad.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18898&hilit=Port+of+Toledo

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Went out to get the new units today and first found them at NS's Homestead yard. Could not get a good photo of them so headed up to the docks, to see if I could find the Port of Toledo, Frog eyed GP10 703 any where. When I got there they just had the nose outside the gate and was switching boxcars. After waiting a while, they came back, and to my supprise the unit is now lettered Toledo Junction Railroad.

Well while talking back and forth with MDH all day, it was discovered that the two new units were on the NS transfer to CSXT's Stanley yard. So after picking up the daughter from school, I took off for the Stanley fuel pad. sure enough, there they were, got a good groupe photo of the two, and one of the SD40-2, but the GP16 I could not get to and it was facing the wrong way. SD40-2 7089, ex-BN, and ex-CSXT GP16, 1718. Notice these units say JBC Rail Solutions on them instead of the CMP Consultants of the 703

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is anyone surprised they picked up these units rather than gensets (or whatever those units are) or maybe a SD38 vs a 40?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Nice shots Matt! Better than what I was able to get (stupid weather!) I'm probably out of luck on getting these anywhere in good sun (and they look really sharp in good full sun!). Any idea what the actual reporting marks are for these?

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Here's some of what I got:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdharding/ ... hotostream

And:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdharding/ ... hotostream

Michael

EDIT:

So I hear the reporting marks on these are "FTRX" and belong to Foster Townsend. As of Thurs morning 9/1 still sitting at the fuel pad at Stanley.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Well its offical now where they are going. They are headed to the docks. In fact the GP10 has been relettered Toledo Junction Railroad. Both the new GP16 and SD40-2 are at Homestead yard, to far back to get any good photos.
When refering to the "docks" here, are we talking about the docks where the TORC units hang out or run, or is this something different?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not the same, These units are for the new operation that's being set up on the former refinery site near the NS (former NKP originally W&LE) bridge across the Maumee. The pdf file accessible with the link (below) helps to illustrate. The CSX docks are between Otter Creek & the Maumee River, while the new facilities that'll use these locos are downstream.

http://www.toledoseaport.org/Portals/se ... ive_09.pdf
Bob M. wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Well its offical now where they are going. They are headed to the docks. In fact the GP10 has been relettered Toledo Junction Railroad. Both the new GP16 and SD40-2 are at Homestead yard, to far back to get any good photos.
When refering to the "docks" here, are we talking about the docks where the TORC units hang out or run, or is this something different?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MSchwiebert wrote:Not the same, These units are for the new operation that's being set up on the former refinery site near the NS (former NKP originally W&LE) bridge across the Maumee. The pdf file accessible with the link (below) helps to illustrate. The CSX docks are between Otter Creek & the Maumee River, while the new facilities that'll use these locos are downstream.
"Upstream" to be technical - at the Ironville facility just NE of the Wheeling bridge. FWIW you'd think the port authority could produce a map showing the railroads that didn't suck that bad! Better than the state of Ohio one but still shows a number of things that don't exist any more or are wrong...

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Good catch, about the upstream downstream thing :D That port authority map may be bad, but this one is worse,
http://www.toledoseaport.org/Portals/se ... ortmap.pdf

It still has the Sports Arena (or "Sports Aroma" if you prefer) and many of the railroads in pre conrail split terms...
MDH wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Not the same, These units are for the new operation that's being set up on the former refinery site near the NS (former NKP originally W&LE) bridge across the Maumee. The pdf file accessible with the link (below) helps to illustrate. The CSX docks are between Otter Creek & the Maumee River, while the new facilities that'll use these locos are downstream.
"Upstream" to be technical - at the Ironville facility just NE of the Wheeling bridge. FWIW you'd think the port authority could produce a map showing the railroads that didn't suck that bad! Better than the state of Ohio one but still shows a number of things that don't exist any more or are wrong...

Michael

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

There are two area's of the "Docks" you have Presque Isle Docks, and assoicated yard, that CSX ownes. Then you have the Toledo Port Authoritys portion. The area along the river from CSXT's Lower River Bridge, to the area where the ballast trains are loaded is Toledo Port Authority, where the Toledo Junction Railroad GP10 #703 is now (and I assume where the GP16 and SD40-2 is being stored). From the ballast train loading area to the mouth of the river is CSX's Docks. The new area like MSchwibert is talking about is on the same side of the river from the WE bridge (old NS) to just shy of CSXT's lower river bridge. This area is being turned into a 100 car loop where they can load or unload grain, and also stone. It is not known for sure where all the units will end up. There is still supposed to be at least one more GP16, and possably one other four axle comming.