Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by That Guy »

The CFE has 9 regualr jobs that work everyday in a 24hr period. Also there is always 1 extra job working every 24hrs, most of the time 2. So your looking at 10-12 different trains running every 24hrs. Yes this includes 2 yard jobs.

You must remember all you are seeing is the Van Wert area traffic, not the whole railroad.

Fort Wayne has 5 regualr daily jobs and Lima has 4.

The 2-bays are for salt in a transload operation in FTW.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That Guy wrote:The 2-bays are for salt in a transload operation in FTW.
thank you. Shame on me for not recalling Cargill is still in the salt biz. :oops:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Thanks to GTWTD3, I believe we have in town in Van Wert LIVW at 10:30PM. It just came back from Continental Structural Plastics [CSP] on the southside of town on the old CN spur. It had FEC 505/ CORP 4024 and 3 Plastics hoppers with 2 ACFX,[ one with OMYA logo] and a NAHX. Also, heard LIFW go through town around 2:50PM. Did not see it, too many blocks away. Also, That Guy thanks for the info on the Cargill 2 bays. PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

CFE EB at 10;00PM, FWLI with FEC 505/ CORP 4024 and 80 cars. Heavy on CSX gons and other gons, 2 boxes, 20 or so bulkhead flats of steel, 4 Cargill 2 bays, 25 or so Grain cars and 6 or so tank cars. Also, heard WB go through Van Wert around 3;45 PM all I saw was many grain cars and didn't see engines. PW

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Hello,
First time poster, The WB you saw in Van Wert on the 6-1 was led by CSXT 896 with CSXT 7322(I shot it over here).
We had an EB grain train about 11 this morning thru Ada, with 2 CSX engines for power, although I didn't catch the #'s. I've been following this board for awhile and decided it was time to get on board. If anyone wants heads up let me know and I'll post them as they come. I sure appreciate the info provided by others on here.
TGIF!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Jim

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Did i catch the only eb windmill parts train west of Van Wert on April 17th 2011?? This was from Van Ness road just west of Pierceton, IN I have not saw another one yet, but then again, a lot can slip by me on weekdays.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rob46580#p/ ... ihHL23UYAs

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

rob46580 wrote:Did i catch the only eb windmill parts train west of Van Wert on April 17th 2011?? This was from Van Ness road just west of Pierceton, IN I have not saw another one yet, but then again, a lot can slip by me on weekdays.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rob46580#p/ ... ihHL23UYAs
Nice video Rob. Those flat cars on the end of the train are they for continuous rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Yes, the camera I keep in car could not zoom in very well to see them good. But I literally caught this train on accident on the way in to breakfast, It stopped for a crew change behind RR Donnelley and I ended up getting lunch at McDonalds waiting for it to come east.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Those are the same type of welded rail cars that have come through Van Wert heading WB empty. Still waiting to see my first loaded welded rail train around VW. I have saw WB loaded turbine parts trains east of VW coming from Lima, but none EB. Maybe they come through EB more than we know. There were 6 Plastics hoppers beside Eisenhauer Manufacturing for CSP in VW in/out. The Van Wert Terminal had 10 soda ash hoppers with the transloader there yesterday. The gentleman that owns VW Terminal has a 45 tonner? on site plus a trackmoble or look alike. I've been hearing trains through VW but have not been fortunate to see any. PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Finally caught an EB CFE train today 6/6/11. If the FWLI wasn't doing work in Van Wert I would've missed it. Found the train minus engines just west of John Brown Rd. It had 64 cars, 12 gons, 5 steel loads, 7 coil cars, 4-5 tank cars, 1 CSX open hopper and no boxes. The rest of the train was grain cars and maybe some plastic hoppers. Then the chase was on to find the engines. Found them coming back from CSP south of town on the old Cincinnati Northern spur. They were CFE 3880/3886 and 3 empty plastic ACFX hoppers. So add this to the rest train there were 67 cars. Plus, there are still 5 ACFX plastics hoppers beside Eisenhauer MFG for CSP, 2 still out at CSP and 9 grain hoppers at Scott Equity elevator. There are still 10 covered hoppers used for soda ash at the Van Wert Terminal east of town as of yesterday. I've hearing the trains but still missing them. Oh well. PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB CFE train LIFW in charge with FEC 505/506 rolling on the high iron and 121 cars. First time I've saw both FEC units together. Caught the train west of Convoy, OH on Lare Rd. It had 16 Cargill 2 bays, the salt must be moving, 6-7 empty flats, 12 or so boxes, 12-15 gons, possibly the Bunge cars from the I&O. Lots of grainers, A few tankers, plus 28 empty welded rail cars with reporting marks of SPSX. These are same cars that I usually see. One day I'll see them loaded. PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I would betsome of the FW&E trains would look and sound great on vidoe :)

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB CFE train LIFW 6/9 with FEC 505/506 and 46 cars at 11:30AM. 2 box cars, CSX gons and a few others, Bunge grain and tank cars and some other grainers. AARR yes a video would look good if I had a video camera. Also heard a EB around 3:40PM both through Van Wert. PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

WB Monster grain train(empties) Ada, OH CSXT 9017 leading @ 5:43 PM 6-9-11

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Was done by Scott Equity in Van Wert and have 16 grain hoppers there and most if not all are Cargill. They may have had them at other times, but I have not seen them before. Does anybody have any info on these and where they will go? I will ask a guy that works there when I see him. I'll also ask with their new silo going up if their going from 25 car units to 50 car units or more. He had told me before that they were going to more cars at one time. PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Cargill cars are for the Valero ethanol plant on the I&O @ Bloomingburg. Getting a bit hard for them to scrape up 110,000 bushels of corn a day for the plant.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Cargill cars are for the Valero ethanol plant on the I&O @ Bloomingburg. Getting a bit hard for them to scrape up 110,000 bushels of corn a day for the plant.
I have been told ethanol plants use a special kind of corn (begins with an h IIRC). They are not able to use any field corn. Does this sound accurate?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Nope, they use good old field corn. There's different hybrids of field corn that depending on the soil conditions and moisture have different yields.

AARR wrote:I have been told ethanol plants use a special kind of corn (begins with an h IIRC). They are not able to use any field corn. Does this sound accurate?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Nope, they use good old field corn. There's different hybrids of field corn that depending on the soil conditions and moisture have different yields.
AARR wrote:I have been told ethanol plants use a special kind of corn (begins with an h IIRC). They are not able to use any field corn. Does this sound accurate?
Is it possible that some ethanol plants will use a different hybrid of field corn than another plant?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

There are also variants that more "taylored" for ethanol production.

http://www.pioneer.com/home/site/us/products/biofuels/

Pioneer is one of the larger seed corn providers out there, I'm sure the others have similar variants as well. As for how much of an "efficiency" impact (if any) if corn from an "ethanol" hybrid is redirected to be used as livestock feed I can't say.