Ludington Subdivision

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Ludington Subdivision

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

IMG_0247.JPG
Happened upon this article from 1955. This is the same GRS console I worked in Saginaw (as well as the "south end"). Whoever that dispatcher is must have retired before my time there. This job was referred to as the "west end", and also handled the train order Elmdale, Port Huron and Bad Axe Subs. (For a time there was a M-F day job that handled just the Elmdale and Port Huron Subs). On the "south end" we had our hands full with just that work and it sported a more "modern" GRS console with lots of pretty lights.

There was one important item that GRS did NOT supply as part of the "west end" operation. It was a single rubber part from a bike pedal firmly attached with electrical tape to a cut-off fishing pole, and notched to perfectly fit the signal and switch levers. With this device, one could reach over and move the levers and hit the "start" buttons without having to raise one's buttocks from the chair or otherwise straining oneself reaching over to perform these functions!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Ludington Subdivision

Unread post by Saturnalia »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:49 pm
There was one important item that GRS did NOT supply as part of the "west end" operation. It was a single rubber part from a bike pedal firmly attached with electrical tape to a cut-off fishing pole, and notched to perfectly fit the signal and switch levers. With this device, one could reach over and move the levers and hit the "start" buttons without having to raise one's buttocks from the chair or otherwise straining oneself reaching over to perform these functions!
Laziness is often the chief source of invention - I love it! :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ludington Subdivision

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 pm
C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:49 pm
Laziness is often the chief source of invention - I love it! :lol
I once watched a Youtube video of a dispatcher working the Clinchfield on a similar type machine. Lo and behold, I was taken aback when I saw him reach for a similar "device" to line-up movements on his board! I guess laziness (er, I mean ingenuity) was not exclusive to the Saginaw office!!