D708, 1992?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

D708, 1992?

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5Zf2RQJkg
Another fantastic Dan Cluley video, towards the end of the video, 708 is shown to be leaving Lake O with several boxcars behind the caboose then again in Mulliken with those cars now absent in the consist. Who was receiving boxcars between Lake O and Mulliken during this time? The only customer that comes to mind is the old Pratt and Whitney place in Sunfield, but that seems like a lot of cars for that operation to use at once.

Also, would 708 be the ones that handled any interchange traffic in Elmdale?
Nick

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: D708, 1992?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I suppose I should know the answer, but I'm afraid I don't remember. I spent a lot more time east of Lansing than west.

The only thing that comes to mind is East Jordan Iron works in Sunfield. Is that the same as P&W?

Looks like they dropped off 4 of the CSX single door boxes and picked up a different pair, and dropped off the gon and the CN 4 door boxcar.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I liked your video, Dan :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Dan Cluley wrote:I suppose I should know the answer, but I'm afraid I don't remember. I spent a lot more time east of Lansing than west.

The only thing that comes to mind is East Jordan Iron works in Sunfield. Is that the same as P&W?

Looks like they dropped off 4 of the CSX single door boxes and picked up a different pair, and dropped off the gon and the CN 4 door boxcar.
Pratt and Whitney was across Sunfield Highway by the elevator in town. Rails are still there but buried under the cement now and theres a track bumper before the road now. East Jordan was/is a scrapyard. I bet the gon got dropped off there. To me the hi cubes made sense if they went to the MMRR interchange in Elmdale but I'm at a loss what was in between that they got set aside
Nick

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

East Jordan was making brake drums for Webb Wheel and loaded just east of the track where they recieved pig iron ingots for their foundry. They also may have loaded fire plugs and other sundry items they made at the same spot as the brake drums. 16 1/2 by 7 semi trailer brake drums. Big uns! Most of the time it was in KCS boxes with the same bad doors that they have today. JUNK! Why KCS went for those darn plugs is beyond me!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

After switching computers and watching the video I concur with my previous determination, East Jordan Iron Works cars.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Doktor No wrote:East Jordan was making brake drums for Webb Wheel and loaded just east of the track where they recieved pig iron ingots for their foundry. They also may have loaded fire plugs and other sundry items they made at the same spot as the brake drums. 16 1/2 by 7 semi trailer brake drums. Big uns! Most of the time it was in KCS boxes with the same bad doors that they have today. JUNK! Why KCS went for those darn plugs is beyond me!
Thanks Doktor!
Nick

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

God I miss the 90's so much variety of power from so many predecessor roads. Barely a widecab or a yellow nose in sight!
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"