AuSable and Northwestern Route and Photographs

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

AuSable and Northwestern Route and Photographs

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anybody know where I can find any or all of the old right of way for the old AuSable and Northwestern Railway, later the D&M's AuSable and Northwestern Branch of the D&M? Abandoned during the Depression, the line ran from AuSable to the small (very small) town of Comins with a branch up to Lewiston. This link is all I can find of the AS&NW, and I can't find anything after the D&M got a hold of it.

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/R ... W/AS&NW.ht
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Re: AuSable and Northwestern Route and Photographs

Unread post by MP73point4 »

You really need to save your money and buy a copy of the SPV railroad atlas that covers Michigan (Great Lakes East). It contains the answer to your question. Another good resource for questions of this level of detail is Graydon Meints' book Michigan Railroad Lines. It's two volumes and expensive, but has line by line histories of every railroad in Michigan. Christmas is coming, maybe a birthday....
RR Pass Collector

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MP73point4 wrote:You really need to save your money and buy a copy of the SPV railroad atlas that covers Michigan (Great Lakes East). It contains the answer to your question. Another good resource for questions of this level of detail is Graydon Meints' book Michigan Railroad Lines. It's two volumes and expensive, but has line by line histories of every railroad in Michigan. Christmas is coming, maybe a birthday....
What exactly are the books called? My birthday is already gone by but not Christmas obviously. Do you have those books to share info on this line right now? I would also like to know where I can find remnants of this line today.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

The books are the two volume "Michigan Railroad Lines" by Graydon Meints; and "SPV's Railroad Atlas of North America - Great Lakes East". They are available on Amazon for $100 and $30 - plus shipping, respectively. Go there and look them both up and you'll get an idea what's in them.
Another good historical reference book is "Michigan Railroads & Railroad Companies" also by Graydon Meints. It just doesn't cover the specifics of what you're asking about. Neither book is really interesting reading, but they are chocked full of historical information if you're doing research. Meints is the resident expert on Michigan railroads. You can't go wrong adding any of his work to your library.
Both of Meints books are published by the Michigan State University Press. I purchased mine there when they were on sale for a bit less than the Amazon prices, but who knows when they might be on sale there.
Yes, I have both and will add some stuff from them after I get home from work and can do some scanning.
I don't know where you can find remnants of the A&NW today. It's been gone a long time. The research material will tell you where to look on Bing Maps, Google Earth, or by shoe leather express.
RR Pass Collector

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

You may want to check your local library. I seem to find Meints' books in many Michigan libraries.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

I probably shouldn't be posting copywritten material on here. PM me with your email and I'll see what I can do.
RR Pass Collector

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

There is a set of 3 books written around 1970 on Michigan Ghost Towns by Roy L. Dodge. The Lower Peninsula towns are in Vol. 1 & 2. Looks like Amazon is selling a combined version of those volumes: http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Ghost-To ... host+towns

The chapters on Iosco Co. (vol. 1) and Oscoda Co. (vol. 2) contain some information about Comins, AuSable, Bamfield, and other towns along the AS&NW and railroad operations.
Owosso Steve

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Or you can use the Michigan Topographical maps and compare them to the maps on michiganrailroads.com. It also does not hurt to look at Bing maps.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

wagnew0923 wrote:Or you can use the Michigan Topographical maps and compare them to the maps on michiganrailroads.com. It also does not hurt to look at Bing maps.
The thing is I can't find any evidence on Bing Maps or Google Maps where I could START to follow the old line. Plus the AS&NW route is not shown in a lot of detail. It shows the general path but I can't look at a satellite image.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty/

19th and early 20th century maps of Michigan.

Spike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Spike »

Resurrecting this old thread, though it appears I'm six years too late.

I joined this forum and pm-ed the OP about two months ago with the idea of offering help in his desire to hike the old AuSable and Northwestern route. Possibly others have the same interest as MQT in this long-abandoned logging road that connected Oscoda/AuSable with McKinley and points north..

This past summer I got the bug myself to see what I could find of the old ASNW roadbed. You might say I've gotten carried away, but it's been fun. I enjoy maps and trekking the wilds so this has been right up my alley.

It's been very slow going, piecing together old maps, new maps and beating the countryside on foot. With compass, map and much shoe leather, I've made good headway but I don'[t know if I'll live long enough to complete the job.

If anyone has interest in this road and a career in the Woods Detective business, I might be able to help.

Just found your pm MQT. Will respond.