Scraping locomotives

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Scraping locomotives

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Parting it out might make a few bucks and then scrap the rest. Having it moved to a scrap yard could be an option too .

Locokutter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Locokutter »

It depends, do you want to get rid of the whole thing, do you want to take the prime mover, generator , equipment rack, trucks , Combos, cooling hatch radiators, fans. Etc.... (Any resellable components)? And the price you get depends on what kind of procedure the scrappers uses to do the job, if using a crew of 3-4 torchmen with a simple bobcat and crane the costs usually runs about 80-90 per gross ton (2240 lbs) so if the going rate is 350 let's say, a ton take 100 off that and they would usually leave a 50 recent profit on that so you would get roughly 125-150 a ton if you were only selling the steel off the loco? If you were selling the loco as a whole you're getting into a different ballpark due to resellable values of reusable components as well as copper,resellable diesel(if any)resellable oil, air brake equipment countless electronic components in the cabinet radiators fans if equipped with a DB hatch that alone is a 5000 dollar bill for the resellable use as a load box. So you see it's not that easy as hey I have a loco what will you give me ! You have to have a plan on how you want to get rid of it, there is a lot of money lost if you sell as a whole, ill give you an example a prime mover With a turbo and good crank that is a rto (running take out) usually sells for 35000 to 50000 but if you part the primeover out you could get on average 25000 to 30000 just for the turbo not to mention 2000 for whole power packs so if its a 16 cyl that is 32000 plus the 25000 to 30000 for the turbo and you're already over the profit you would of had if you sell it whole and would still have the crank, camshafts, exhaust , pumps , gears,etc... So you see before you can know what you would get you have to know what you're end goal is

Locokutter
Railroadfan...fan

Here's a shorter answer if you sell the loco as a whole and you sell it as scrap you're looking at the most 100,000 if its entact , that's if you're selling to a scrapper but if you sell it to a leaser or reseller you could get closer to 200,000 if the unit runs, I just come from a auction in St. Louis and that was the numbers I was seeing my advice is contact a parts buyer and you would come out better. I can even give you a number to a guy that would be interested his name is chip hilliard and his number is 501-851-0510 they are in north little rock ark, but remember there's no set price for anything it's about what you want and what they want to give but my best advice is dont sell to a scrapper because you will lose so much potential profit

Locokutter
Railroadfan...fan

Locomotive news

Just wanted to put this out there, Rtex locomotive services has been forced to close there doors in Monroe ga the director of operations (owners son ) (yeah I know ) for the last two years was unable to take the buisness from a succesful one to a thriving one it went from a successful one to a closed one, I hate to see a rail buisness close I'm sure some of you are familiar with Rtex formerly railrhodes, the buisness was destined for failure when the old general manager keith bushatz left and the owners son got the job sorry I mean new gm. (Haha) keith bushatz was a locomotive genius if only he was still there you would still hear the old glories blowing that sweet sound but coat tails had to be rode and results were the doors closed

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

I'm gonna say $25-50,000 or so. That's my wild guess.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Oops omit my entry,I misread this thread entirely.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:Oops omit my entry,I misread this thread entirely.
There should be a way to delete your own post. Hit "Edit" and check in the upper right hand corner. I think there will be a small "x" box that allows you to delete.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

You only are allowed to delete post if it is the most recent in a thread. so if I want to delete this post I would have to before anyone else post. You can go back and edit it to say nothing or just have like a period though.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Never noticed the edit button until now,thank guys :)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

JStryker722 wrote:Never noticed the edit button until now,thank guys :)
That explains the all your typos.... :lol:

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Yuppers lol :D I've only been posting more actively just recently,so I didn't know how to delete posts until ya'll told me.Ya'll anint the only ones that get on me about typos,my gf has a field day correcting my grammar lol.