train symbols

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: train symbols

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

thx to everyone for their input :D
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

If you go to Michiganrailroads.com, click on RRHX, then on Railroads, then on Chessie System and look under "other information" you can see the 1981 freight schedule that shows all the symbols at that time along with origin and destination.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Cleveland Metal had nothing to do with Pepsi, and was gone before Pepsi ever came to town. They had a major explosion and the place burned down. Happened at night when no one was at the Plant. The Fuel Dealer has been gone for a long time too. And, yes, that was the Team Track that ran beside it. One of Cleveland Metals tracks came off that team track. While I remember all those spurs in Brighton, I do not remember anyone doing any rail business except for the lumber company.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

:D your memory is longer then mine of course....but i dont remember ever seeing cars at any industry in Brighton other then a bad order or such but the tracks seem to have been there for ever....same thing with the Ann Arbor in Howell...at one time there must have been some work here
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:If you go to Michiganrailroads.com, click on RRHX, then on Railroads, then on Chessie System and look under "other information" you can see the 1981 freight schedule that shows all the symbols at that time along with origin and destination.
Those of us who like a bit more resolution might check an image found on the rrfan gallery.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-47460

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

So with that Diagram are the even numbers east or west bound or does one ignore that and just use the location symbols like GR or FL?
Semi-retired railroader

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Generally speaking the odd #'s are West or North and the even #'s South or East. However, these are merely symbols; all of them had a manifest "schedule" but were technically all extras. A few exceptions: FL14 and FL16 were considered eastbounds, so kept the even # even when they turned north at Plymouth. MR13 and CW15 were considered westbounds so carried odd #'s even though moving south first and then west. Same for MP17/ML18 between Baldwin and GRR, etc. In the "old days" when trains were actually scheduled in the timetable, the odd/even had to be strictly observed. For example, the Sportsman, a passenger train between Toledo and Detroit was #47 from Toledo to Plymouth (odd) and #470 (even) from Plymouth to Detroit.

When CSX came along they changed things to the Seaboard way with odd #'s west and south and even #'s east and north.