Did GTW Acquire PC Track in Oxford?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Did GTW Acquire PC Track in Oxford?

Unread post by AARR »

From the other site:
Posted by Alex on 9/30/2020, 9:26 am
I was wondering if someone could tell me the details of how the ex-MC, now LIRR was salvaged back in the day. To my knowledge, in the late 70's / early 80's, the then Penn Central ex MC Bay City branch was largely doomed. When the section of Interstate 69 came through at that time, an expressway bridge(s) was not constructed over the tracks.

Specifically, was there a push by the Lapeer area politicians, chamber of commerce, etc. to salvage the line for the remaining customers, or was this something that GTW just wanted to do?

I do know (AFAIK) that A&B has been operating this over a little over 20 years, and because of a problem w/ the bridge over the river, there is no current activity S of the plastics customer. A&B is keeping the dormant portion of the tracks in place for a future customer (smart move ). With federal / state economic funds, this bridge can get rehabilitated.
Elba Steve posted a good response (see thread https://members4.boardhost.com/RRHXHist ... 98937.html ). However, he mentioned that GTW acquired track in Oxford. Does anyone recall if GTW acquired some of PC's Oxford track?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Did GTW Acquire PC Track in Oxford?

Unread post by hoborich »

I worked for the GTW in Pontiac during the late 60s. I don't know what we owned in Oxford, but we ran a PO and N [Pontiac, Oxford and Northern] local that way several times a week, and they brought back a lot of gravel from the Oxford gravel pits.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

hoborich wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:55 pm
I don't know what we owned in Oxford, but we ran a PO and N [Pontiac, Oxford and Northern] local that way several times a week, and they brought back a lot of gravel from the Oxford gravel pits.
Both PC & GTW serviced gravel customers around Oxford. GTW's was to the east and PC's to the north.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I was perusing a GTW Timetable today dated April 26, 1981 and happened to notice this under the Cass City Sub footnotes: "OXFORD -- South Spur--extends 1.3 miles south of Main Track. Stop sign and rail removed at end of spur. Maximum speed on South Spur 10 MPH."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Somewhere I read there was a lumber yard in Oxford that in 1973 received 250 car loads. I think it was a PC customer. I don't know where it was located in Oxford but I assumed it was south of the GTW crossing. Perhaps GTW acquired this short stretch to service the lumber company and anything else that was there.
C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:32 pm
I was perusing a GTW Timetable today dated April 26, 1981 and happened to notice this under the Cass City Sub footnotes: "OXFORD -- South Spur--extends 1.3 miles south of Main Track. Stop sign and rail removed at end of spur. Maximum speed on South Spur 10 MPH."

redlodger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redlodger »

AARR wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:23 pm
Somewhere I read there was a lumber yard in Oxford that in 1973 received 250 car loads. I think it was a PC customer. I don't know where it was located in Oxford but I assumed it was south of the GTW crossing. Perhaps GTW acquired this short stretch to service the lumber company and anything else that was there.
It was Church's Lumber. The Evaluation of the USRA's Preliminary System Plan lists 238 cars received in 1973. You're right, it was on the PC. The Preliminary System Plan has the GTW acquiring the PC track at Oxford (p. 122), but I'm not clear if that was what the USRA wanted, or what GTW had actually agreed to.
Larger than life and twice as ugly