COVID-19 Poll

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)

For craps and laughs, when do you think the "lockdown" orders will lift?

Within 1 Week
2%
1-2 Weeks
7%
2-3 Weeks
10%
3-4 Weeks
17%
4+ Weeks
63%

Total votes: 41

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

COVID-19 Poll

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Add justification below if you're so inclined...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: COVID-19 Poll

Unread post by Ypsi »

Considering the governor set it for three weeks.. there’s your likely minimum :lol:

IMO we should have a 14 day mandatory NATIONAL lock down. None of this soft and inconsistent language, 14 days everyone non essential stay the heck home in the entire country. That would and could *possibly* help slow everything down and flatten the curve. I would rather trade 14 days of nothing for 1-3 months of frankly dinking around with these softer lock downs and states not wanting to do it at the same time. At this point we more or less doing is prolonging the process by being inconsistent and not being on the same page. Ignoring political sides (this isn’t a shot as I really don’t care who’s making the calls), I think it’s poor response to see how our cases are exploding in the USA and having such a delayed and inconsistent response.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Think in terms of a 1-2 year horizon. Not just how long the current stay-at-home order will last but how many more will there be. Until a vaccine is developed, as soon as John Q Public is turned loose on himself again the virus can take off again.
Ypsi wrote:I think it’s poor response to see how our cases are exploding in the USA and having such a delayed and inconsistent response.
When would you have closed the boarders and shutdown the economy? January 22nd when the first case was recorded here or in December when it was still in China?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

PatAzo wrote:
Ypsi wrote:I think it’s poor response to see how our cases are exploding in the USA and having such a delayed and inconsistent response.
When would you have closed the boarders and shutdown the economy? January 22nd when the first case was recorded here or in December when it was still in China?
I never gave a time line of when I would, but I believe that we are seeing the results of a slow response time and poor decisions. Like I said I would trade 14 days at home for this drawn out processes.

However in RETROSPECT, if closing the borders at that time would have prevented this whole thing, absolutely. Too many have died and too many will die.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote: I never gave a time line of when I would, but I believe that we are seeing the results of a slow response time and poor decisions. Like I said I would trade 14 days at home for this drawn out processes.
Definitely poor decisions in New York with leaders there telling people in February and March that they should continue to gather in public places and that essentially the virus was no big deal.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
Ypsi wrote: I never gave a time line of when I would, but I believe that we are seeing the results of a slow response time and poor decisions. Like I said I would trade 14 days at home for this drawn out processes.
Definitely poor decisions in New York with leaders there telling people in February and March that they should continue to gather in public places and that essentially the virus was no big deal.
This, because leaders figured they would get positive tests when it finally arrived. In reality they're now thinking they had community spread in NYC by around Jan 15, and no later than the end of Jan. Lots of people in the hospitals with flu-like cases but not tested because well it was flu season.

Latest modelling is starting to account for the known case count being no more than 10% of the total cases, and perhaps only 0.5% of cases, since only symptomatic people are being tested, usually once they're in the hospital. So we know most of the dire cases but almost none of the others. Thus the models are ratcheting the US down to 20,000 to 200,000 deaths versus 2.2 million a week and a half ago.

Models: crap in, crap out.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

video is 50 Min long..Good INFO....

COVID-19 | Corona Virus: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Diagnostics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzbArPgo-o
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Here's another good resource: tracking the projected death rate, ICU and bed counts needed, for both the whole country and each state individually. Quite interesting. Run by the University of Washington.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I think it may have been here late last year, when a number of young people died and it was blamed on vaping, because Covid 19 was not yet heard of or tested for.
Also, there seems to be a wide range of response to the Covid 19, ranging from no symptoms, mild symptoms serious symptoms to death, depending on ones immune system.
Most of the fatalities are people with various pre existing issues, which may include lifelong smokers, since Covid 19 is a respiratory illness.

Earlier this evening, there were the usual drug commercials all through the dinner hour. The commercial for Taltz showed happy people jumping in swimming pools and having other fun, while the announcer rattled off a long list of cautions, including this one. "TALTZ is a medicine that affects your immune system. TALTZ may lower the ability of your immune system to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections, which can sometimes become serious. Your healthcare provider should check you for tuberculosis (TB) before you start treatment with TALTZ".
Many other drugs affect your immune system, and the cautions go unnoticed for the most part. It is just my opinion, but these powerful drugs with major side effects may be the difference whether you live or die from Covid 19.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

This kinda reminds me of Tuberculosis my grandmother who lived threw the Great Depression in the 1930s had many stories. And many sad stories of the people who died from TB back in those days before a vaccination. She passed away in 1995 at the age of 80.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

penn central wrote:This kinda reminds me of Tuberculosis my grandmother who lived threw the Great Depression in the 1930s had many stories. And many sad stories of the people who died from TB back in those days before a vaccination. She passed away in 1995 at the age of 80.
I think this is a wake-up call for many who were beginning to this modern medicine was making us invincible. I'm sure we'll be keeping a much bigger medical stockpile from here on out.

I would suggest the government, rather than buying up tons of material and holding it until it expires, should pay medical manufacturers to hold a large inventory - which most don't do with just-in-time delivery and taxes on inventory. So give mask manufacturers a tax credit for holding say a year worth of production - they can warehouse it, first-in, first-out. If masks are good for say 5 years, they'll still be good for 4 when they hit the market, which is plenty for most applications. Same with most medications. This way, no product is wasted because the govt bought it, held it until it expires, and then throws it away.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

hindsight coming in first place 8)

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

PatAzo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:53 pm
Think in terms of a 1-2 year horizon. Not just how long the current stay-at-home order will last but how many more will there be. Until a vaccine is developed, as soon as John Q Public is turned loose on himself again the virus can take off again.
...I'll stick with what I said in March.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Depends on who wins the election.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

This isn't going to end anytime soon. Covid has become an industry of its own. Billions of dollars involved, for tests, the people who administer the tests. The labs that check the tests. Contact tracers all over the country. Thousands of jobs. Millions of masks used and thrown away every day. Hospitals and med centers charging for the tests. Many people report the tests are free, but the hospital or doctors charge anywhere from $50 to $200 to administer the test. And a "facility fee"!
And absolutely no one in the media or any of the so called "experts" is telling people to take vitamin C and D and zinc to boost their immune system. A recent study found 80% of Covid patients were vitamin D deficient!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276229/
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

hoborich wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:30 pm
This isn't going to end anytime soon. Covid has become an industry of its own. Billions of dollars involved, for tests, the people who administer the tests. The labs that check the tests. Contact tracers all over the country. Thousands of jobs. Millions of masks used and thrown away every day. Hospitals and med centers charging for the tests. Many people report the tests are free, but the hospital or doctors charge anywhere from $50 to $200 to administer the test. And a "facility fee"!
And absolutely no one in the media or any of the so called "experts" is telling people to take vitamin C and D and zinc to boost their immune system. A recent study found 80% of Covid patients were vitamin D deficient!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276229/
Like removing a weed or a wart, few seem to want to eliminate any of the world's problems by the roots. Too many career, political, and self esteem of persons with a sense of entitlement at stake.

What will it take for mask wearing to no longer be apart of the norm and the culture in urban areas and on airplanes?
Some say a rushed-to-develop vaccine that so far won't be available until majority of the world has already been infected or exposed since viruses only spread when walking through bars and restaurants and not when sitting down 6 feet away from another infected individual. Viewing the issue with the lens of practical sense has not yet been done.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:20 am
What will it take for mask wearing to no longer be apart of the norm and the culture in urban areas and on airplanes?
People to follow simple precautions and a government that can align its message with science instead of politics.