Video Editing Systems

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Video Editing Systems

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Hello all,

Just thought I would share with you my newest YouTube video, which I edited on Adobe After Effects CC. What are some programs you guys use? Do you like the banner I put in my video? What would you, as a Railfan, like to see more in my videos?

I plan on using After Effects to master my two DVDs which should be ready by Spring time.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Video Editing Systems

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Nice!

I know the more sophisticated programs have well more stuff, but I don't ever see myself using much more than is available on Movie Maker. I know it is like using Unitrak for a model railroader, but it gets the job done.

I think it would be cool to have more documentation on the Michigan Line. I know we get lots from YpsiAmtrakBoy, but with your range it seems you could really have a great series with just the MI line. There are bound to be lots of cool, interesting shots out there waiting to be found.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

After Effects is not a video editing program. It can do lightweight editing but it's a motion graphics program, and probably the best out there. I use a whole host of programs depending on how much editing is needed. For simple capturing, cutting and encoding I use HDVSplit and VideoRedo Plus. For standard def video for the same process I use VirtualDub and TMPGenc. If heavier editing is needed I'll use Premiere.

But I'm a serious hobbyist and at time have done video for a living, so I realize my programs will be more advanced than others. :)

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:Nice!

I know the more sophisticated programs have well more stuff, but I don't ever see myself using much more than is available on Movie Maker. I know it is like using Unitrak for a model railroader, but it gets the job done.

I think it would be cool to have more documentation on the Michigan Line. I know we get lots from YpsiAmtrakBoy, but with your range it seems you could really have a great series with just the MI line. There are bound to be lots of cool, interesting shots out there waiting to be found.
The only issue I have with the Michigan Line is the lack of trains. Haha. I would have to sit in each town an entire day just to get four or five trains in the daylight. Not to mention, all of the trains (almost) are Amtrak. That might be a year long project. Right now, I'm working on getting my 1225/765 DVD finished, along with my shortlines DVD. I may be coming up to your territory soon to film the G&W properties in the area. Next year, I plan on filming a GTW DVD, featuring all the CN/GTW lines in Michigan (yes, even the UP lines). I've also got plans to do a Southern Railway steam DVD. I'll be chasing 630 at least once my the start of summer and 4501 when she comes out. At train Fest in Owosso, I should be set up with a booth with at least one DVD out by then and a bunch of photo prints for sale.

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

24 hours at Fostoria would be great but you would need a huge amount of lights and probobly 2 cameras going most of the time and you would still miss some moves.

I think I have an old Green Frog video "24 hours at Deshler" great video but unfortunately it is VHS and I don't have a player anymore.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

A "day on the Michigan line" would be a fun DVD to make, 8 predictable trains (actually basically 4 trains you see twice :lol), and it would probably only be about 16 minutes long depending on how long you make each video.. (Might be a little project I try do this summer)

I was able to come close to every train a couple weeks ago, only missing 351 and 354.. Also flunked all but 39e in 1080p with a tripod.. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28891&
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

At the very least, try to build a portfolio of one-timers from different spots on the Michigan Line. Then at some point down the road, you've got your 1-hour special. I could build a few different specials based on Grand Rapids just in the last 6 months [since going to HD], with about 30 trains independently filmed from about 60 angles, most of them not being repeats from the same spot. I didn't set out to make a 1-hour special, but I easily could.

Some ideas I have myself for what I have done since going HD:
- LSRC 2013 (Summer Trip to Alpena)
- Amtrak Pere Marquette 2013 (Lots of pre-HD footage with different consists, Heritage, etc as well)
- MQT G&W Transition (Not even to the 2000-series repaints yet, but I bagged the 3389, 3390 AND 3391 Maiden Runs)
- CSX late 2013
- Grand Rapids Review 2nd Half 2013

Each of these would be at least 30 minutes. And again, most of these are just one shot for the train, filmed on different days, etc. So you don't have to sit around all day waiting for your trains. Be creative and opportunistic. Not counting Porter I have almost 150 trains in West Michigan over 1.5 years. And I've never spent more than 4 hours trackside at a time :)

You already have some shots, too. I recall a good amount from 2012, plus some stuff this year. Hey you've got that Work train chase, too. You probably already have enough!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

DelayInBlock wrote: The only issue I have with the Michigan Line is the lack of trains. Haha. I would have to sit in each town an entire day just to get four or five trains in the daylight. Not to mention, all of the trains (almost) are Amtrak.
If you ever make it to Niles, the overpass on the west side of town provides for a nice view of the westbound Amtraks racing through the S-curve. And also set up a camera on the other side of the bridge for a going away shot as the train disappears around the bend.

As far as editing video, I'm only using iMovie right now until I can secure a copy of Final Cut Pro. iMovie is sufficient for what I'm doing, but I'd like to eventually have more video and audio editing controls.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

J T wrote:
DelayInBlock wrote: The only issue I have with the Michigan Line is the lack of trains. Haha. I would have to sit in each town an entire day just to get four or five trains in the daylight. Not to mention, all of the trains (almost) are Amtrak.

As far as editing video, I'm only using iMovie right now until I can secure a copy of Final Cut Pro. iMovie is sufficient for what I'm doing, but I'd like to eventually have more video and audio editing controls.

Actually, railfanning the Michigan Line is quite easy since you can railfan via timetable. You shouldn't miss a train because you know where it's going to be and when.

That's a freaking awesome video, J_T.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

cbehr91 wrote: Actually, railfanning the Michigan Line is quite easy since you can railfan via timetable. You shouldn't miss a train because you know where it's going to be and when.
Exactly, and Julie is there to tell you when they are arriving/departing the nearest city (I must have called US Rail a dozen times on Saturday).
That's a freaking awesome video, J_T.
Thanks. :D
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
cbehr91 wrote:That's a freaking awesome video, J_T.
Thanks. :D
I must second the motion. Great eye on the first angle.

Ramsey
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ramsey »

I Use Final Cut Pro. I like the program. It's more sophisticated than any other programs.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Ramsey wrote:I Use Final Cut Pro. I like the program. It's more sophisticated than any other programs.
I have FCP too, but I don't like it as much as I like After Effects.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ramsey wrote:I Use Final Cut Pro. I like the program. It's more sophisticated than any other programs.
Yeah, I figure it has a much bigger learning curve, but I have a BIL who seems to know it pretty well. I'll get him to teach me some day. :)

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

J T wrote:
Yeah, I figure it has a much bigger learning curve, but I have a BIL who seems to know it pretty well. I'll get him to teach me some day. :)
For how mainstream it is in the industry, there are loads of tutorials and forums online that you should be able to self-teach yourself the basics. That's mainly how I learned Premiere. That and just play around. In broadcasting school we mainly used Avid with a semester of Final Cut + Motion my junior year.