Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by AARR »

Although it certainly looks like it could be the GR Press spur it wouldn't be north of I96.

Looking at a satellite view there's a landscaping supplier and aggregate yard in the area. Is it possibly an old spur on their property?
railrod1949 wrote:So its not GLC or LSRC. It's somewhere close to north of I96 and east of US131. It's not Kentwood or Owosso.

Is it on MQT? No sir! Two hints: think industrial, and I'm only a few hundred feet away from water where I took this.

South end of the wye of the spur that lead to the old GR Press printing plant from the GRE between Monroe Street SE and the Grand River. Or between Monroe Avenue SE and Taylor Avenue N. All in Grand Rapids.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Nope! Clarifying one of the hints given, the trackage shown is not owned by any of the railroads guessed, but it may or may not connect to one of them...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I love the picture and it seems like it should be findable but I can't find anything in the quadrant of I-96 and US-131 near the water :?
AARR wrote:Although it certainly looks like it could be the GR Press spur it wouldn't be north of I96.

Looking at a satellite view there's a landscaping supplier and aggregate yard in the area. Is it possibly an old spur on their property? Nope! Clarifying one of the hints given, the trackage shown is not owned by any of the railroads guessed, but it may or may not connect to one of them...
railrod1949 wrote:So its not GLC or LSRC. It's somewhere close to north of I96 and east of US131. It's not Kentwood or Owosso.

Is it on MQT? No sir! Two hints: think industrial, and I'm only a few hundred feet away from water where I took this.

South end of the wye of the spur that lead to the old GR Press printing plant from the GRE between Monroe Street SE and the Grand River. Or between Monroe Avenue SE and Taylor Avenue N. All in Grand Rapids.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR wrote:I love the picture and it seems like it should be findable but I can't find anything in the quadrant of I-96 and US-131 near the water :?
AARR wrote:Although it certainly looks like it could be the GR Press spur it wouldn't be north of I96.

Looking at a satellite view there's a landscaping supplier and aggregate yard in the area. Is it possibly an old spur on their property? Nope! Clarifying one of the hints given, the trackage shown is not owned by any of the railroads guessed, but it may or may not connect to one of them...

LSRC, you sure it's north of I-96, not I-196? How miles east from US-131 and north of I-96. It's in another town?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

railrod1949 wrote: LSRC, you sure it's north of I-96, not I-196? How miles east from US-131 and north of I-96. It's in another town?
North of 96, and East of 131 can take you anywhere on a right angle triangle. It could be Bay City or anywhere near a body of water in those loosely defined confinements.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Pixl wrote:
railrod1949 wrote: LSRC, you sure it's north of I-96, not I-196? How miles east from US-131 and north of I-96. It's in another town?
North of 96, and East of 131 can take you anywhere on a right angle triangle. It could be Bay City or anywhere near a body of water in those loosely defined confinements.
Looks like a GTW style switch stand if that is any help.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Mark F wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Looks like a GTW style switch stand if that is any help.
Which county is that shot of that GTW switch stand in?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

LSRC wrote:Nope! Clarifying one of the hints given, the trackage shown is not owned by any of the railroads guessed, but it may or may not connect to one of them...
Is it near Tawas? It seems like there's an abandoned gypsum yard up there that might look like this.
~ Charles W.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
LSRC wrote:Nope! Clarifying one of the hints given, the trackage shown is not owned by any of the railroads guessed, but it may or may not connect to one of them...
Is it near Tawas? It seems like there's an abandoned gypsum yard up there that might look like this.

Winner! US Gypsum yard in Alabaster, MI. This is the site of the old tramway unloader. The county recently put a bike trail right through the property. Here's a few more photos:

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

Winner! US Gypsum yard in Alabaster, MI. This is the site of the old tramway unloader. The county recently put a bike trail right through the property. Here's a few more photos:

Yes, now I remembered, that's Tawas Bay (Lake Huron) in the background, looking east from a driveway, which is just west of US-23 in the bottom shot. Old US Gypsum yard in the middle shot. All in Alabaster, Tawas Area Schools district, Alabaster township, Iosco County. The top shot is looking west toward the connection with the old D&M RR (now LSRC) at Alabaster Junction. The middle shot is looking east. I remembered seeing the US Gypsum the last time I drove north on US-23 back on July 27, 1973.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue May 02, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James Sofonia

Pixl wrote: North of 96, and East of 131 can take you anywhere on a right angle triangle. It could be Bay City or anywhere near a body of water in those loosely defined confinements.
Even though I didn't find it, looks like my comment got you guys thinking outside Grand Rapids area. Thanks for posting. Nice find.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

Dang. That's what I thought it might be there last week, but when you said it wasn't on LSRC, I figured it was somewhere else...

Nice shots LSRC.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Same here, LSRC. Thanks for posting the additional pictures too.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railrod1949 wrote:South end of the wye of the spur that lead to the old GR Press printing plant from the GRE between Monroe Street SE and the Grand River. Or between Monroe Avenue SE and Taylor Avenue N. All in Grand Rapids.

:lol: What? Have either of you ever been to Grand Rapids? There is civilization everywhere around where that old spur used to be. Jim's shot was definitely taken in a more remote area.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Where is this swing bridge?
swingbridge1.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:Where is this swing bridge?
swingbridge1.jpg
Bay City, the Liberty Bridge in the background and the old New York Central RR swing bridge. Both crossing over the Saginaw River. In the Bay City School District, Bay County. It's have a Bay City, MI 48706 address.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Bay City. Looks like Liberty Bridge in the background.

Jochs wrote:Where is this swing bridge?
swingbridge1.jpg
~ Charles W.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Agree with Bay City. That is the Bay County building to the left, in the background.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Bay City is correct! There is another similar bridge by the USS Edson DD946 ship that is hard to get to.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

James Sofonia

ZZ Top

It has been announced that ZZ Top will e performing at Interlochen this summer. Their promotional photos include a shot "somewhere", looks like a rual location but has concrete ties and great looking balast. Anyone know this location?

http://tickets.interlochen.org/