Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Another from the sky challenge. The RR grade was gone at least by 1990 as we used to take the snowmobiles out and go down this N/S grade.
Lake has 3 islands in it... used to take the paddle boat out and scare the goats as a kid :)
http://i.imgur.com/EXEFDqC.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

JCinSummerfield wrote:Tecumseh, MI
Too bad useful diamonds have been tore out while this one survives just to amuse us railroad fans.

James Sofonia

~Z~ wrote: Image
Since JC Summerfield figured out the below one, looked around Tecumseh, and found Loch Erin to the west. Located just east of Onsted MI.
Nice find Michael, I see the grade under the lake. Add this location to the "rails under water" collection. Too bad I had to actually work all day and didn't have a shot at either of these. I'll work on Z's tonight.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: JT we need more hints. Track at a curve with trees are relatively common in Michigan.
You're late the party. And if it were my shot, I'd gladly give more hints.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

MQT1223 wrote:JT we need more hints. Track at a curve with trees are relatively common in Michigan.
Near the shores of the great water in a place named for judiciary fame.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

LSRC wrote:If someone is actually able to get this one, I'll buy that person an ice-cream at Tippy Cow. Person(s) with me when I took the photo is disqualified.

Pine Junction. I'll be at Tippy Cow tonight, and I'll be requiring a flurry. No payment needed though as I may have found an alternate way of figuring out the location of that photo :)
Webmaster

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Correct! Gary, Indiana, J to CSX transfer track, looking west from N Clark Rd. It's surprisingly scenic in certain pockets of that area due to the wetland. In fact, out of all the miles I've driven out in the country and in Northern Michigan, the closest I've come in the last year to hitting a deer was on N Clark Road.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I never would have guessed that in a million years. Still looks like Any Rail Line, USA to me.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Pixl wrote:
Too bad useful diamonds have been tore out while this one survives just to amuse us railroad fans.
What was the other railroad ?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DT&I IIRC
M.D.Bentley wrote:
Pixl wrote:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

LSRC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:JT we need more hints. Track at a curve with trees are relatively common in Michigan.
Near the shores of the great water in a place named for judiciary fame.
Kinda poor to put up a post out of state with no mention.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Pixl wrote:Kinda poor to put up a post out of state with no mention.
A quick run through of the first few pages of this mega thread reveals a few locations outside the state that were not listed as such in their original posts. No rules dictating such in the original post, either. Is posting a picture from an uncommon angle of a very common railfan spot some 40 miles from the Michigan border really that big of an issue? It was challenging for sure, but that was the intent. I would have narrowed down areas or given more hints if asked. Is it really that much worse than the Google Maps screen capture from the remote crossing in the middle of Australia in this thread?

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Also DT&M
M.D.Bentley wrote:
Pixl wrote:

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I think we all pretty much agreed that there would be no rules except maybe limiting it to 3 active photos at a time.
Also, I am fine with a name change for the thread. When I first made this thread I was using photos that I took myself that I thought would be good for guessing the location but after running out I started using other people's photos then we moved on to Google Street View and aerials as well. Either way the game is fun!

LSRC wrote:A quick run through of the first few pages of this mega thread reveals a few locations outside the state that were not listed as such in their original posts. No rules dictating such in the original post, either. Is posting a picture from an uncommon angle of a very common railfan spot some 40 miles from the Michigan border really that big of an issue? It was challenging for sure, but that was the intent. I would have narrowed down areas or given more hints if asked. Is it really that much worse than the Google Maps screen capture from the remote crossing in the middle of Australia in this thread?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Thanks for the info Michael.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

LSRC wrote:
Pixl wrote:Kinda poor to put up a post out of state with no mention.
A quick run through of the first few pages of this mega thread reveals a few locations outside the state that were not listed as such in their original posts. No rules dictating such in the original post, either. Is posting a picture from an uncommon angle of a very common railfan spot some 40 miles from the Michigan border really that big of an issue? It was challenging for sure, but that was the intent. I would have narrowed down areas or given more hints if asked. Is it really that much worse than the Google Maps screen capture from the remote crossing in the middle of Australia in this thread?
+1

Heck, I knew LSRC and a couple other members from this site were in that part of Indiana a few weeks ago, but couldn't place the location.

It seems like we're starting to see more and more repeat locations on this thread, so I don't see any reason locations within an hour or so of the border shouldn't be off limits, especially considering fact that the challenge of finding the location of Jochs' Kentucky shots made things more interesting and less one sided than too many of the Michigan shots seem to be.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Michael wrote: Also, I am fine with a name change for the thread. When I first made this thread I was using photos that I took myself that I thought would be good for guessing the location but after running out I started using other people's photos then we moved on to Google Street View and aerials as well. Either way the game is fun!
Prior to this thread, "Where is it?" was the common title used. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I have been assuming this was up north or at least north of GR. Any more hints Zack?

Also, Can you change the thread title?
~Z~ wrote:Another from the sky challenge. The RR grade was gone at least by 1990 as we used to take the snowmobiles out and go down this N/S grade.
Lake has 3 islands in it... used to take the paddle boat out and scare the goats as a kid :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:I have been assuming this was up north or at least north of GR. Any more hints Zack?

Also, Can you change the thread title?
~Z~ wrote:Another from the sky challenge. The RR grade was gone at least by 1990 as we used to take the snowmobiles out and go down this N/S grade.
Thread title changed. Hint - south of a line drawn from Holland and Lansing.. Go south :) One of the islands even has 15-20 cottages on it.
Webmaster

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Michael »

I immediately thought of the line from Raiders of the lost Ark "They're digging in the wrong place" :lol:
I was looking in the wrong place.

Posey Lake a little NE of Hudson
https://goo.gl/maps/sM3uYZzxS6R2